MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-05-16, 20:49

Default IBG Models Chevrolet C60S Petrol Tank

Hi,

Newbie here looking for a little help with IBG's kit. I've just started a build review over on Track-Link and I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this vehicle? I found a thread on Armorama with a few photos (albeit with a No 11 cab) and that's about it. Was this some sort of test bed or limited production version? Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kimmo
Old 21-05-16, 19:45

Hi Kimmo,
And sorry for the bad news.
I think this CMP, as rendered by the Poles (in both cab 12 and 13 versions, the former in fact Ford and the latter still not 100% Chev) and in this particular configuration (both sharing the same body 4E1 ) exists only in the fantasies of the IBG designers, a stable which became famous with their sofstskin kits bad research, the scale apart.
Mirror Models CMP kits are much better, in any respect.
BTW, if this will make you a little more happy. The IBG 1/72 CMP kits are even worse.
HTH
Cheers!
Old 21-05-16, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilian Filipov View Post
Hi Kimmo,
I think this CMP, as rendered by the Poles (in both cab 12 and 13 versions, the former in fact Ford and the latter still not 100% Chev) and in this particular configuration (both sharing the same body 4E1 ) exists only in the fantasies of the IBG designers, a stable which became famous with their sofstskin kits bad research, the scale apart.
BTW, if this will make you a little more happy. The IBG 1/72 CMP kits are even worse.
HTH
Cheers!
Thanks Ilian, I was afraid this was a bit of a fantasy vehicle. It makes sense to maximize molds, but I'm sure a little disappointing for some that this is the case. On a more positive note, the kit is going together quite well and the detail is pretty good. As to accuracy of the details, I really couldn't say. I'm just concentrating on how it goes together.

Kimmo
Old 25-05-16, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilian Filipov View Post
Hi Kimmo,
HTH
Cheers!
I have just received this IBG kit myself, and have to come to the same conclusions..not only is the tanker body wrong for this model, but the dimensions of the No.12 cab are also WAY OUT compared to some of the details I have found here on the forum!

I'll measure up my Mirror Models C15A No.11/12 cab in the weekend, and also compare the two No.13 cabs.

Cheers,
Pete M.
Old 25-05-16, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mossong View Post
I have just received this IBG kit myself, and have to come to the same conclusions..not only is the tanker body wrong for this model, but the dimensions of the No.12 cab are also WAY OUT compared to some of the details I have found here on the forum!

I'll measure up my Mirror Models C15A No.11/12 cab in the weekend, and also compare the two No.13 cabs.

Cheers,
Pete M.
Thanks for chiming in Pete. I've opted to go with the No 13 cab for the build, head on over to Track Link if you want a heads up on how the kit is coming together. Spoiler: rather nicely so far.

Cheers

Kimmo
Old 29-05-16, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo Happonen View Post
Thanks for chiming in Pete. I've opted to go with the No 13 cab for the build, head on over to Track Link if you want a heads up on how the kit is coming together. Spoiler: rather nicely so far.

Cheers

Kimmo
Hi Kimmo. I've been watching your build on Track Link, and from that, and looking at the kit I have, IBG appears to have made a bit of a mixture of the Ford and Chev trucks (as also have Mirror with their models)! Only a Ford No.12 cab can be made from the parts supplied in the IBG kit, but both can be done from the Mirror kit.

Comparing the two kits, there is a vast difference in the sizing between the two early cabs, and IBG have also simplified some of the chassis components. The measurements of the Mirror kit closely match the real thing from measurements given in the forum threads.
There is also no treadplate for the floor of the cab, which is supplied as a PE part in the Mirror kit.
The two No.13 cabs though, measure up almost identical to each other!

The one thing I do like about the IBG kit, is the inclusion of alternative roofs for both the 12 and 13 cabs, plain with no hatch, or with hatches.. a pity Mirror doesn't include this.

I attach some photos of the Mirror C15A kit that I'm presently working on.. doing some basic plumbing and wiring on the chassis before I add the drive shafts. I'm building the early cab, which comes in the initial kit, but had purchased the so called No.12 update set. Wrong, as the bonnet/hood is still a No.11 type, not the later No.12 one...just in grey styrene rather than the clear one supplied in the kit. Oh well, some scratch-building will be required to correct this!

Cheers,
Pete M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6804.jpg (55.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6807.jpg (62.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6808.jpg (41.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6797.jpg (91.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6799.jpg (90.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 29-05-16, 12:36

Default Re IBG vs Mirror

Pete, thanks for the info. I'll add a link to this thread on the build and let others decide on what to do with that info. I'll also do a summary to point out areas that could use a bit of improvement, I did know about the cab floor for instance. I just won't go to great lengths as I'm really not qualified to form an opinion on the correctness of what's there or any missing details. The one good thing that can be said is that the kit does go together fairly well and certainly looks interesting.

Kimmo