MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-10, 02:59

Default M114 C&R's at Gagetown?

I will start this one by saying that I know this is a long shot.

Does anyone have any recollection of the M114 C&R being used in small numbers by the RCA at Gagetown circa 1982? I was speaking with a gentleman last week who told me that he witnessed 3 or 4 of them in Canadian markings at Gagetown while he was stationed there during the early 80's. He said that the artillery was using them, possibly as OP's.

I have attached an image of the Strathcona's old M114 beside a Lynx and M113 for reference. Image is from: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...y/55690011.jpg

Yes, I asked the gentleman if he meant Lynx C&R and he assured me that they were 114's. He served on the Lynx with the CF and we were standing between a Lynx and M114 at the time we were having this discussion, so he is aware of the similarities and differences.

Would these have been acquired as Fantasian AFV's for exercises, or trials vehicles(obviously much older trials) impressed by the artillery as OP's? I imagine the gas engine and rubber band track would make them quieter than the M113 family so they may have worked as an OP but it still seems odd to use them at such a late date.

He mentioned that he recalled the 114's had CFR's on them so I wonder if anything turns up on the EDR viewer?

And no he doesn't have any pictures, I asked.

Thanks,

J
Attached Thumbnails
55690011.jpg  
Old 13-12-10, 02:55
Prep for STAB...STAB ON!!

AFAIK there were never any used by any unit other than for possibly a trial test bed. I showed up in Gagetown in 88 for the first time and was rather good at AFV recognition. Lots of Lynx and M113's...never saw a M114.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards
Old 13-12-10, 03:08
carrier mech

I was in Gagetown back in 1980 attached to the RCDs and loaned out to couger support sqn for a while. Nothing but the run of the mill M113 and lynx. I was never over to the Herbies, but as we would drive by their compound the armoured guys would laugh and say they never wanted to be artillery. It was 15 years later I was attached to the artillery and learned why.

Last edited by rob love; 13-12-10 at 04:11.
Old 13-12-10, 04:59
Mr. HUP

Default Thank God, The Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
... I was never over to the Herbies, but as we would drive by their compound the armoured guys would laugh and say they never wanted to be artillery. It was 15 years later I was attached to the artillery and learned why.
Yes, we are a "special" bunch, we gunners. I am sure there are those who found working with the armoured and the infantry just as distasteful. Back on subject, I spent the best of seven years ('75-'82) in and about the gunner end of the K lines and do not recall seeing said vehicle - not to say it wasn't hidden from view. I do recall seeing at least two Cymbeline radars parked outside of K-13, and two radar control vans. I wasn't into the "old" kit at that particular stage of my life, so the 114 may have escaped my notice.

However, I am sure that our very own Gunner would have had his mitts all over it had he seen it. I await his reply.
Old 14-12-10, 02:45
Anthony Sewards

Default Those M114's

Jason

That is my photo taken back in 1992 right next to the Strathcona's Assault Troop vehicles. And never heard about any CDN units using them.

Anthony
Old 15-12-10, 03:01

Hi Anthony,

Hope you don't mind that I posted your image here as reference.

I also hadn't heard of any M114's in Canadian government hands, other than the the LETE trials vehicle and the one in your image, but I thought that I would try in case it rang a bell with anyone.

I understand that Recce troop had the vehicle in your image. Did they ever use it on exercise or was it just a hack/toy? The vehicle still looks the the same as the day you took the picture of it!

I have heard of one other M114 in Canada that is somewhere in B.C. but I am not certain who owns it or where it was obtained from.

Thanks,

J
Old 03-01-11, 22:31

Default M114 at Harvey Barracks Calgary

That M114 came from BC. I was told it was seized from BC collectors that had stolen it from a military range in the US while on a Militia exercise.I understand it was used for movie work.

The Strathcona's never used it and we ended up trading it to Jack Guthrie for some Centurion work and Sherman recovery costs. Probably went to the CWM collection with the rest of his stuff.
Old 04-03-11, 04:42

I was speaking with a friend today who was posted to Gagetown in 82-83 and he remembers one sad looking M114 in the back of the "k Lines" at that time. Much like the first gentleman that I spoke with my friend knows the Lynx but says it was definitely an M114 that he saw. Unfortunately still no images or info indicating what interest the CF would possibly have in M114's.