MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 26-01-10, 02:33

Default WW 2 Jeeps

Does someone have original nuts, bolts and fasteners for sale?
Old 26-01-10, 14:57
John Dallimore

Ken-If you have a willy's jeep you'll need different bolts than if you have a Ford gpw. You'll have to be more specific. There are some repro "F" ones out there now. The caged nuts and captive nuts are also being reproduced.

John Dallimore
Old 28-01-10, 22:17

Default WW 2 Jeep fasteners

Hello John:

Thanks for your reply and how are things?

I am in Florida and thought I might get over to Kissimmee to see the FSSF fellows if they put together a reunion this year. On that subject, I'm looking for an FSSF combat uniform.......... any leads?

On the Jeep thing, I should have specified Willys......... it's a 1942 CDLV 505 that was restored in the 1980's, but with modern day fasteners. I'm looking for old style "tall head" or "high hex", USS and SAE types, 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8". I'll rework whatever I can get with hacksaw, taps, dies, etc.

From Ron Fitzpatrick's website, I have the fastener chart put together by Claude Pons .....great!....... lists every nut, bolt, washer, head style, thread, diameter, length, quantity, marking (Ford), etc.............. his site is definitely the reference Bible for Jeeps.

It's in the shop being painted and if I can round up these pieces, it should be running this summer.

Hope things are well.

K C
Old 29-01-10, 08:46
John Dallimore

Ken-Are you looking for a uniform you can wear, or one for display? I would suggest getting an M43 off ebay. If you try What Price Glory in the U.S., he might have a pair of repro mountain pants. If you want originals, be prepared to pay big $$$$.

I have taken apart many jeeps, but not paid much attention to anything that wasn't ford. If I get a chance I'll look for those head markings on some of my old bolts. I can't promise anything, there's stuff there from all sorts of vehicles.

If I do the FSSF BBQ this year, you should come up. I hope to hold it June 5th.

How's the weasel??????

John
Old 30-01-10, 01:43

Hello John:

The uniform is something I'll wear when the Jeep is on display, or at different shows. I appreciate your tips.

I've volunteered over the past few years at the Lincoln & Wellington Regiment Museum at Fort George in Niagara-on-the-Lake, worked mostly on restoring a 1940 Ford 8cwt....... "got 'er going". This, and all vehicles (civilian as well) up to the 1950's used SAE/USS style (tall head) bolts and nuts...... weasels included.......... (mine is at the Canadian Military Museum in Brantford). A fellow told me years ago that original fasteners count for points on restored vehicle judging........... not that mine will be in that position, but I want originals because of their visibility.

Thanks for your invitation....... that is usually the weekend of Russell's airshow in Niagara Falls, attended by the L & W. We need more weekends in summer!

Many thanks for your info.

K C
Old 31-01-10, 03:53
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi Ken,

If your after tall head bolts, word on g503 was that Caterpillar tractors use a thicker (taller) head bolt than the modern bolts and the price was still competitive with those off the shelf at the local hardware/bolt shop.

It might pay to make a visit to your local cat dealer with a sample to check what they have against what you want? I havent tried myself, but was going to go that route shortly as i need some bolts.

There was also a thread the other day (i think in the tech forum, but maybe the slatgrill forum) about willys bolt markings. Discussion followed regarding the typical markings and how they changed across years, ie: head markings on a 42 opposed to a 44 MB.

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 08-04-10, 01:41

Hello Ian:

Thanks to your suggestion, I finally made a move.

A number of supply houses in North America sell Grade 9 hardware that comes very close to the pattern of bolts & nuts I'm looking for, as I mentioned previously.
I hesitated until the other day when I paid a visit to the Caterpillar dealer near where I winter in Tampa, Florida and came away, $110.00 lighter but with all the Gr 8, tall hex nuts & bolts needed to assemble the entire body, plus a few spares.
They are nice looking fasteners and it would take an expert to spot them and are so close, that it is not worth grinding off the I.D. marks on the head: if you can't get originals, then these are excellent replacements.

You guys know your stuff, and I thank you for the advice.

Regards

K C
Old 08-04-10, 02:12
Bluebell

Default Ian

I came across you in an old thread in another forum about Jeep handbrake (Handle/ rachet shafts) I have one, I believe it is original,or an early replacement, but solid, with the teeth machined into it. The cable is different, and is attached differently. It came from MB 135668 (script willys)
Did you learn any more about the variations?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 08-04-10, 02:23

Hello Ian:

Thanks to your suggestion, I finally made a move.

A number of supply houses in North America sell Grade 9 hardware that comes very close to the pattern of bolts & nuts I'm looking for, as I mentioned previously.
I hesitated until the other day when I paid a visit to the Caterpillar dealer near where I winter in Tampa, Florida and came away, $110.00 lighter but with all the Gr 8, tall hex nuts & bolts needed to assemble the entire body, plus a few spares.
They are nice looking fasteners and it would take an expert to spot them and are so close, that it is not worth grinding off the I.D. marks on the head: if you can't get originals, then these are excellent replacements.

You guys know your stuff, and I thank you for the advice.

Regards

K C
Old 12-04-10, 06:32
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi Lynne,

Sorry for the late reply. I remember the thread your talking about, but no, no more was found as to any differences. I think it was decided that my handle while original, had a replacement cable. After i got to looking closer and seeing more handbrakes, i realised that my handle had been removed from the toothed tube and the cable replaced. I still dont know why there are solid and hollow tubes- maybe a production difference to save materials?

Ken- glad you got it sorted. $110 for all those bolts doesnt sound too bad, particuarly as they are so close to the originals. Best of luck with the rest of the assembly!

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net

Last edited by Ian Fawbert; 12-04-10 at 06:33. Reason: spelling!
Old 12-04-10, 14:47
Banned

Default Hi Ken

Hi Ken

Did you live in Oakville at one time?

Cheers
Adam