MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-05-16, 20:49

Default IBG Models Chevrolet C60S Petrol Tank

Hi,

Newbie here looking for a little help with IBG's kit. I've just started a build review over on Track-Link and I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this vehicle? I found a thread on Armorama with a few photos (albeit with a No 11 cab) and that's about it. Was this some sort of test bed or limited production version? Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kimmo
Old 21-05-16, 19:45

Hi Kimmo,
And sorry for the bad news.
I think this CMP, as rendered by the Poles (in both cab 12 and 13 versions, the former in fact Ford and the latter still not 100% Chev) and in this particular configuration (both sharing the same body 4E1 ) exists only in the fantasies of the IBG designers, a stable which became famous with their sofstskin kits bad research, the scale apart.
Mirror Models CMP kits are much better, in any respect.
BTW, if this will make you a little more happy. The IBG 1/72 CMP kits are even worse.
HTH
Cheers!
Old 21-05-16, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilian Filipov View Post
Hi Kimmo,
I think this CMP, as rendered by the Poles (in both cab 12 and 13 versions, the former in fact Ford and the latter still not 100% Chev) and in this particular configuration (both sharing the same body 4E1 ) exists only in the fantasies of the IBG designers, a stable which became famous with their sofstskin kits bad research, the scale apart.
BTW, if this will make you a little more happy. The IBG 1/72 CMP kits are even worse.
HTH
Cheers!
Thanks Ilian, I was afraid this was a bit of a fantasy vehicle. It makes sense to maximize molds, but I'm sure a little disappointing for some that this is the case. On a more positive note, the kit is going together quite well and the detail is pretty good. As to accuracy of the details, I really couldn't say. I'm just concentrating on how it goes together.

Kimmo
Old 25-05-16, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilian Filipov View Post
Hi Kimmo,
HTH
Cheers!
I have just received this IBG kit myself, and have to come to the same conclusions..not only is the tanker body wrong for this model, but the dimensions of the No.12 cab are also WAY OUT compared to some of the details I have found here on the forum!

I'll measure up my Mirror Models C15A No.11/12 cab in the weekend, and also compare the two No.13 cabs.

Cheers,
Pete M.
Old 25-05-16, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mossong View Post
I have just received this IBG kit myself, and have to come to the same conclusions..not only is the tanker body wrong for this model, but the dimensions of the No.12 cab are also WAY OUT compared to some of the details I have found here on the forum!

I'll measure up my Mirror Models C15A No.11/12 cab in the weekend, and also compare the two No.13 cabs.

Cheers,
Pete M.
Thanks for chiming in Pete. I've opted to go with the No 13 cab for the build, head on over to Track Link if you want a heads up on how the kit is coming together. Spoiler: rather nicely so far.

Cheers

Kimmo
Old 29-05-16, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo Happonen View Post
Thanks for chiming in Pete. I've opted to go with the No 13 cab for the build, head on over to Track Link if you want a heads up on how the kit is coming together. Spoiler: rather nicely so far.

Cheers

Kimmo
Hi Kimmo. I've been watching your build on Track Link, and from that, and looking at the kit I have, IBG appears to have made a bit of a mixture of the Ford and Chev trucks (as also have Mirror with their models)! Only a Ford No.12 cab can be made from the parts supplied in the IBG kit, but both can be done from the Mirror kit.

Comparing the two kits, there is a vast difference in the sizing between the two early cabs, and IBG have also simplified some of the chassis components. The measurements of the Mirror kit closely match the real thing from measurements given in the forum threads.
There is also no treadplate for the floor of the cab, which is supplied as a PE part in the Mirror kit.
The two No.13 cabs though, measure up almost identical to each other!

The one thing I do like about the IBG kit, is the inclusion of alternative roofs for both the 12 and 13 cabs, plain with no hatch, or with hatches.. a pity Mirror doesn't include this.

I attach some photos of the Mirror C15A kit that I'm presently working on.. doing some basic plumbing and wiring on the chassis before I add the drive shafts. I'm building the early cab, which comes in the initial kit, but had purchased the so called No.12 update set. Wrong, as the bonnet/hood is still a No.11 type, not the later No.12 one...just in grey styrene rather than the clear one supplied in the kit. Oh well, some scratch-building will be required to correct this!

Cheers,
Pete M.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6804.jpg   DSCN6807.jpg   DSCN6808.jpg   DSCN6797.jpg   DSCN6799.jpg  

Old 29-05-16, 12:36

Default Re IBG vs Mirror

Pete, thanks for the info. I'll add a link to this thread on the build and let others decide on what to do with that info. I'll also do a summary to point out areas that could use a bit of improvement, I did know about the cab floor for instance. I just won't go to great lengths as I'm really not qualified to form an opinion on the correctness of what's there or any missing details. The one good thing that can be said is that the kit does go together fairly well and certainly looks interesting.

Kimmo
Old 29-05-16, 13:25

I swaped the 11 cab from the Mirror Models kit 35108 CMP F15A Van Lorry with the 12 cab from the IBG kit 35036 Chevrolet C60S Petrol Tanker. Photos can be seen on post #7 on this tread

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24847
Old 29-05-16, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
I swaped the 11 cab from the Mirror Models kit 35108 CMP F15A Van Lorry with the 12 cab from the IBG kit 35036 Chevrolet C60S Petrol Tanker. Photos can be seen on post #7 on this tread

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24847
That looks to have worked well, any problems with fit?

Kimmo
Old 29-05-16, 14:56

The actual changing of the two cabs was easy. The issues I had was with the fit of the doors and fenders on the IBG 12 cab. Also the Mirror kit was for a 4 X 4 truck but the cab was for a 2 X 4 truck with only the gear shifter and no shifter for the FWD and no hand break. The fitting of the steps gave some problems. I also had to add the round vents and the Chevy logo to the 11 cab. The 12 cab already had the square Ford vents.

Last edited by John McGillivray; 29-05-16 at 15:10.
Old 21-12-16, 18:15

Hi all,
Today a picture I've never seen before was found in the Canadian archive site.
It turned out that after all most probably the IBG tanker has the right to exist.
This one:

I have no idea why they stated on the boxart the cab 11 (with 12 grille, though!) Ford CMP (with bowtie, though!) as "Chevrolet", ask them. It is possible, though, there is Chevy in the box and cab 12 too, as stated on the box, I cannot comment the kit.
And this is the picture:

Source: http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...81986&lang=eng
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is cab 12 C60S.
A one-off prototype, perhaps?
Also, the caption says "IS C.W.T. petrol tender". What "IS" is for? Or this is a typo and they've had in mind 15 cwt? I would't be surprised if so, there are many incorrect captions in that place.
Cheers!

Last edited by Ilian Filipov; 21-12-16 at 18:26.
Old 22-12-16, 00:33
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The truck is a Cab 11 with a "Butterfly" bolt-together engine cover (variously called Hood or Bonnet, depending on where you are in the world). Cab 12 has an "Alligator" one piece hood.

Caption is doubly incorrect if IS is meant to be 15, as the truck is a 134inch wheelbase, so is either a C30 or C60S.
Old 22-12-16, 01:04

Hi Tony,
And thanks for that. Indeed, it is cab 11. Mea culpa. Being in a hurry today I dind't spot the bolted bonnet (hood). Shame on me, the bolts behind the radiator shell are clearly visible on the picture!
Most probably that "IS" is typo or OCR error but it suggest number "15".
However, it is still better than THIS:

Cheers!

Last edited by Ilian Filipov; 22-12-16 at 01:12.
Old 22-12-16, 01:22

Nice find Ilian! Still makes me wonder why IBG did this version in the first place when they could have done something a little less obscure. Oh well. The kit itself went together well enough. IBG were happy enough to post it on their site, Track-Link was happy and therefore I was happy Happy Happy Joy Joy all around.

Kimmo
Old 24-12-16, 00:19
MVT Member 11001

Default IBG Model CMP

Has anyone completed the newest CMP in 1/35 of what is listed as IBG 35038 1/35 Chevrolet C30A General service?

Presumably the errors in the size of the Number 12 Cab will be the same as with the tanker, and presumably there isn't a 13 Cab included with this steel body, otherwise it would be mentioned. I was hoping to use it as the base for a C60S derreck with A frame at the rear.

http://en.ibg.com.pl/en,ibg-35038-1-...l#.WF2wOfNXU5s
Old 26-12-16, 03:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
Has anyone completed the newest CMP in 1/35 of what is listed as IBG 35038 1/35 Chevrolet C30A General service?

Presumably the errors in the size of the Number 12 Cab will be the same as with the tanker, and presumably there isn't a 13 Cab included with this steel body, otherwise it would be mentioned. I was hoping to use it as the base for a C60S derreck with A frame at the rear.

http://en.ibg.com.pl/en,ibg-35038-1-...l#.WF2wOfNXU5s
Hi Larry. Not got the IBG C30a, but looking at the sprues on their website http://www.ibgmodels.com/35038.htm it appears that they have done it again with the Ford intake grills!!!! No 13 cab with this one, unlike their C60 kit.

To get a Chevrolet body for any of the IBG No.12 or 13 cab CMP's, you are going to have to cross-kit with one of the Mirror Models C-60 kits! You can't even build it as a Ford, as only the Chev 6 cylinder engine is in the kit (no Ford V8), and the axles are Chev 'Banjo' types, and they only appeared on very early Ford No.11 cabs!!!! Another confused kit from IBG....

Cheers,
Pete M.
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg  
Old 27-12-16, 12:58

With such wild combination of Ford and Chev features IBG will increase the sells of Mirror Models for sure!
It looks Ford on Chev chassis... With Chev radiator guard, though.
I have the feeling those people weren't even bothered to use Google to search more info on the CMPs. And there is a plenty of it in the Internet. Here for example.
Old 27-12-16, 16:24
MVT Member 11001

Is there any part of the very old Airfix / Max Chevrolet kit in 1/35 Scale that could be used, as I have a few of those in my stash of kits! Interestingly the Airfix / Max kit of the Field Artillery Tractor (rather than the Chev C15) might be a useful source as there is an extra sprue in mine that provides a 13 cab

No doubt the after market suppliers will start selling correction kits!

Last edited by Larry Hayward; 27-12-16 at 16:34.
Old 28-12-16, 13:47

Hi Larry,
I don't know. Sorry, I'm into 1/72-76 scale. BTW, in 1/72 the so-called CMPs of IBG are really sad sight, not to say directly disgusting. If this will make you little more happy...
Cheers!
Old 28-12-16, 14:41
MVT Member 11001

Ilian,

Yes, I agree that the IBG model CMPs in 1/72 are badly let down especially by their wheels and tyres before anything else. I have just seen that The Plastic Model Soldier Company has released CMP 15cwts in 1/72 for war gamers but have not seen any reviews yet or in the box shots.
Old 29-12-16, 10:41

Hi Larry,
The only comment on the PSC CMP kits so far is that in 1/100 (15 mm) the windows are solid and in 1/72 they are open. Still no sprue pics , just 3Ds.
I agree the wheels of the IBG CMPs are awful and this is their most obvious shortcoming. But they aren't such a big problem, the wheels can be replaced. The problem is, on cabs 11 and 13 either, that the kits are simply packed with glaring errors, some of them beyond repair. I wonder what references IBG have used, if any!
Cheers!
Old 30-12-16, 01:26
MVT Member 11001

Perhaps Kimmo can give a run down of the corrections needed for the IBG kit in 1/35 scale of the C30a?

Assuming the engine is a Chevy and the axles then the front vents could be scraped off and a round hole could be drilled through and plated from behind to represent the Chev style. What else needs doing?
Old 08-01-17, 16:18

Hi Larry,
The first sprue shots of PCS Quads are available yet. I wish they weren't...
Enjoy this:

No comments.
If you still have a wish to see the rest take a look here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210...15/View+Thread
Cheers!
Old 09-01-17, 01:02
MVT Member 11001

Default Chev & Ford Blitz kits

Well I'm sure we will reach the promised land one day (if the kit manufacturers would get a little help from us!)
Old 09-01-17, 09:10

Hi Larry,
Well, after so many years of waiting I'm not much sure the things will change ever, it seems the manufacturers' attitude is "it sells anyway".
A comment from that thread I've posted above:
"A number of times I have asked the owner of PSC why they don't engage in meaningful proofing, given there is an audience who would freely give advice and help correct obvious errors in the pre-production stage. I like a lot of their products but unfortunately, it seems they just don't want to know !"
Regretfully this is the reality. In desperate wish for a perfect kit sometimes we use to forget the so-called "serious modellers" are less than 5% of the market.
Cheers!