MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-10-17, 04:57

Default A few more pics.....

Early C8 with no air vent intake......noticed bumper is rolled steel and not U channel like the later cab 11 C15a. Noticed riveted license plate location....... and the inevitable Ford woven wire mesh rad cover as found on most early Chevs.

Rather unmolested early C8 dash set up....... and no hooks for the doors.

This C8 is totally rusted and clapped out.
Attached Thumbnails
IM003129.jpg   IM003130.jpg   IM003131.jpg   IM003133switch platesarrows.jpg  
Canada
Old 30-10-17, 05:09

Default Another point of difference....

Alex

Cab 11 cabs proved to be weak in such that driven without a roof there was little to beef up the support of the rear cab wall. On the cab 12 they added a half inch thick plate in the curved corner area under the existing floor plate that greatly stiffens the back wall. That also necessitate replacing/modifying part of the wooden spacer under the floor plate and between the rear bracket for the running board step.

I found the improvement of value and since I had the spare plates/parts elected to install the reinforcements on my cab 11. The floor angle iron of the rear wall has longer bolts to attach everything together solidly. The plates are factory drilled for the wooden block of the rifle holder.
Canada
Old 30-10-17, 08:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default cross member

Thanks Bob

A most informative write up !

The cab 11 here has the non-reinforced cross member so I had better keep an eye on it for any signs of cracks .

I know the cab 11 was probably up at Bandiana vehicle park at wars end . I found a soldiers service number and name scribbled on the dash VX65738 JS Hunter (tank gunner) . A letter was sent off to him at Ballarat . He replied saying his unit were at Bandiana waiting to be disbanded , 2/4th Armoured reg . He wrote, we were bored and sitting around getting up to no good . He indicated that he " vandalised" the C8 there.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 30-10-17, 12:17
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

When is Jordan Baker gonna hop in?

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 30-10-17, 14:23

Hop in about what?
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 30-10-17, 14:51
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

about this truck..

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 30-10-17, 16:30

Interesting stuff Bob! Thanks; the changes to the cross members and routing of the brake lines was certainly new to me.
I just checked and just like Mike's C8, my C8 also has the early crossmember, without the reinforcement.
The door hooks on my C8 certainly could have been done as a retro-fit or maybe by hand on the production line, as the inner two eyelets are postioned on different heights. The outer ones seem to be pretty much level.
The cutout in the cab rear wall on my truck was again presumably done retro-fit, or done in production when switching to the new rear wall with cutouts.....as in my case the cutout interferes with the bolt holes, and new holes were drilled further towards the cab rear wall. (I mean the cut shows the remains of the original bolt holes)

To add to the discussion:
The january 1941 parts catalogue lists the "Hook, door hold open" for all CMP's in the series.
It lists the "strap door check" with the comment "British Army Only"
The grille is listed with a Ford as well as a Chev part number; I think the diagonal "Chev" mesh didn't appear before cab 12 introduction(?).
The "reinforcement, floor plate corner" is also listed for all CMP's in the series.

Regarding the central dash light...my conclusion is a bit different; I think they were fitted to cab 11 C8's and at least some Cab 11 C15's. Cab 12 C8's didn't seem to have them fitted.
I think I can see the remains of the dash light on the C8 in your picture in the very centre of the dash. The hole for the vacuum line for the wipers is positioned on top of the angle iron.

In my opinion not all trucks that went overseas were fitted with front fender marker lights.....rear axle lamp maybe, but not the front marker lights. There are several pictures around of Cab11/12 trucks in the UK, Italian campaign and even Holland without any fender marker lights. (two pictures attached from the "early CMP's in NW Europe thread").

Another subject of interest to C8 owners....early C8's had only one set of Rubbolite lamps at the rear...while later ones had lights both left and right.

Alex

Click image for larger version

Name:	1428914486.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	95200
Source: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...8&d=1428914486

Click image for larger version

Name:	The_British_Army_in_North-west_Europe_1944-45_B13120.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	95199
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-45_B13120.jpg

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 30-10-17 at 17:23. Reason: attached pictures rather than links
Old 30-10-17, 17:41

Default Interesting late war pictures......

.....of cab 12 larger trucks without the fender lights.... as they could have been retro fitted very easily in forward service area...... but it does have one balck out headlight.

On the cut outs....... all the angle iron I have are neatly cut and the holes drilled near the rear half very neatly as a factory installation...... nothing could have prevented a field modification with torches for the greater comfort of the driver/passenger.

Mike on the early weak rear engine mount cross member they are identical to all CAB 13 and will bolt right in with grade 8 bolts.....mine was salvaged from a C60 frame and has the connection for the power brake booster on the right handside.....also transplanted the front cross member with one that was not rust out.

I jokingly refer to my truck as a cab 11 version 11.02 w/w as I used the best parts from cab 11 and cab 12 in the reassembly and this includes the C60 winch and fair leads previously very neatly transplanted by the previous owner.

Cheers
Canada
Old 01-11-17, 23:41

Quote:
nothing could have prevented a field modification with torches for the greater comfort of the driver/passenger.
I agree. Attached are two pictures of my cab rear wall.....not the best pictures, but the best I have at the moment. I only just noticed the crudely done cutout is only on the drivers side!
I have to come back to my earlier suggestion that this could have been done on the production line before the new rear walls with preformed cutcouts came available...after looking at the pictures again it seems more likely this was a field mod....or even a post-war mod.

While on the subject of field mods....is there any evidence of cab 12 bonnets, grills and front sheet metal being transferred to cab 11's?? I can imagine that would have made service of the engine far easier.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Hack1.jpg   Hack2.jpg  
Old 02-11-17, 02:58
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
I agree. Attached are two pictures of my cab rear wall.....not the best pictures, but the best I have at the moment. I only just noticed the crudely done cutout is only on the drivers side!
I have to come back to my earlier suggestion that this could have been done on the production line before the new rear walls with preformed cutcouts came available...after looking at the pictures again it seems more likely this was a field mod....or even a post-war mod.

While on the subject of field mods....is there any evidence of cab 12 bonnets, grills and front sheet metal being transferred to cab 11's?? I can imagine that would have made service of the engine far easier.

Alex
Are you installing a wireless set FFW ?
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 02-11-17, 18:13

Default Back wall cutout.....

Hi Alex

All the cut out areas I have seen on cab 12 DO NOT have evidence of previous bolt holes and since only one side was done on your truck is was certainly done after factory assembly....by who remains the question.

Parts interchange between cab 11 and 12 or 12 to fit an 11 is relatively simple.
I have used cab 12 parts in the rebuild of my cab 11 and bolt hole do line up.
I substituted the whole air vent assembly on each side of the rad from a cab 12 that was in better shape than my cab 11 which had been heavily welded. I had to remove the cab 12 hood alignment pin and install one captive nut which was needed for the cab 11. I also installed the inner radiator bar (a repro copied from a cab 12) to stiffen up the nose section.

Now when I say the bolt holes all lined up....... by this I mean no worst than the original which had to be pulled and stretched with pry pins but then that is typical of all cab 11 and 12.

Note..... an addition to the previous email about model differences.....
the early cab 11 did not have the radiator expansion tanks and the nose sheet metal was not drilled for the bolts or the tube. All cab 12 I have are drilled for the tank. Since I considered the expansion tank worthwhile, I managed to squeeze one fully hidden inside the engine compartment using a tall slender stainless steel tank intended for hot rods which I bolted to the radiator frame mounting....... I sandblasted the tank to a matt finish and painted it OD.

Cheers

Alex ..... engine access is always a problem even with the cab 12...... in active service, particularly in North Africa numerous photographs show the vehicles being driven WITHOUT an engine cover, or doors or roof or windshield........ as long as it ran......... another thing I have observed is that many trucks photographed in North Africa, regardless of the model, have long filler tubes to the gas tanks..... at least longer than original configuration..... and I have assumed that the impracticality of the short factory fuel spout was a nightmare when it came to filling up from the POW tanks or flimsies.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 02-11-17 at 18:22.
Old 03-11-17, 01:36

Quote:
Are you installing a wireless set FFW ?
Yes Mike; I intend to outfit it with a dummy 19 set. When cleaning up the truck after I bought it from Dirk I found some of the rubber mounts for the wireless set. The truck is also fitted with earthing straps almost everywhere.

Quote:
on your truck is was certainly done after factory assembly....by who remains the question
Bob, I am presuming it was at least done in army service, but maybe that's wishfull thinking. I think I will keep the cutout as a piece of the history of the truck.....

Quote:
I also installed the inner radiator bar
I am thinking of doing the same...at least it should pull the panels a bit tighter.

Quote:
by this I mean no worst than the original which had to be pulled and stretched with pry pins but then that is typical of all cab 11 and 12.
Man!......I have been working on the front inner fenders and panels around the footwells....what a ....even the panel around the gauge cluster and the doghouse panel inside the cab don't seem to fit! Argghhhh

Thanks guys!
Alex
Old 03-11-17, 09:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Early C8

This early C8 was being restored by a chap in the UK, Ian R , must be close to 20 years ago these pics. Pre-digital camera era !

A snap of the original C8 in the UK with the original body, which has been measured up and cloned !
Attached Thumbnails
C8 UK Richardson.jpg   Ian Richardsons cab 11 C8 under restoration UK.JPG   cab 11 C8 UK Nick Bullock.JPG  
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 03-11-17 at 09:42.
Old 03-11-17, 17:27

Default Alex.....

Quote:
Man!......I have been working on the front inner fenders and panels around the footwells....what a ....even the panel around the gauge cluster and the doghouse panel inside the cab don't seem to fit! Argghhhh
I know the feeling.....not only is it difficult you have to follow the right order of assembly/sequence. When I remove and reinstall mine I need 4 hands so I usually drag in Grant using drift pins and screwdrivers as locating pin we manage to get it all together.............. sure nice to have a flexible back and help when you have t reach underneath and above at the same time. Once all the bolts are actually started ONLY then can you tighten the whole thing. Sad part is I have to take it apart this Winter to install the cover inside insulation.....found some 1/8 ceramic felt which I plan to double up to a 1/4 inch and install using the original staple holes like Phil Waterman did.......... time consuming but so nice when finished.

Mike....... nice pictures of the early C8 with NO air vents.

Remember this is a hobby so take time to have fun!!!!!
Canada
Old 04-11-17, 03:04

Default C8 Cross Members

I got the C8 off of the trailer and into a bay at my shop. I've jacked it up and it is now securely off of the ground. I will put a couple of big hardwood blocks underneath, just in case.

Bob - I got looking at your pictures and I see that my cross member is opposite to yours? Did mine get taken out and welded back in - upside down? I don't have a reference because my C15A Cab12 is a different frame.

Yes - this Cab11 has a central dash light under the centre pillar. I will post pictures of the dash and cab - once I get all the crap cleaned out. As you can see, I'm applying lots of M16 to every bolt/nut/exposed thread that I can see.

I have the original licence plates - looks like the last time this C8 was on the road legally was 1958.
Attached Thumbnails
Cab11 C-8S - 1.jpg   Cab11 C-8S - 2.jpg   Cab11 C-8S - 3.jpg   Cab11 C-8S - 7.jpg   Cab11 C-8S - 6.jpg  

1941 CMP C12 C-15A (Parts)
1942 CMP C13 F-60S Dumper (Restoring)
2 x 1941 CMP C12 F-GT (Storage)
194? CMP C13 C-60X (For Sale)
Old 04-11-17, 03:28

Default Duh....upside down cross member?????

Richard

I think that would be impossible.... the cross member I am talking about is directly behind/underneath the bell housing...... bell housing bolt to that crossmember.

Are you mistaking it for the visible crossmember immediately behind the cab in your pictures????

These little C8 are really cute.

Unless my memory is wrong there was one in Ottawa at a Shell service station in the mid sixties at Hogs Back...... with a small block Chev V8 .....and for some obscure reason I beleive that it may have been Les Fisher's dad or himself.

So when are you picking up the other one?????

Cheers
Canada
Old 04-11-17, 04:00

Default This time with pictures.

HI Richard

I acquired a 1937 Chev one ton pickup frame a while back ....some interesting comparison can be made.....

The front picture shows which cross member I am talking about....

The second from the rear.... I have outline what I think is the same frame cross member from your picture.......... can you tell me how similar the rear spring hangers appear to your eye....? how about the front axle/frame set up.

The 37 Chev 1/2 ton pickup had a similar curved frame over the rear axle like a C8 but the one or 1 1/2 ton Chev had a flat rear frame.

I really need to take more close up of that frame from various angle for further comparison.

I always though it would be possible to mock up an early pilot CMP model using that frame.......

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
1937 chev 1.5 ton frame on kijiji.jpg   $(KGrHqF,!rMFDILqhLbPBQ8dCw!lew~~48_20.jpg  
Canada
Old 04-11-17, 04:54
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Man!...... I usually drag in Grant using drift pins and screwdrivers as locating pin !!!!!
OUCH!
Old 04-11-17, 05:59
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default rear axle

Bob:
Quote:
"I acquired a 1937 Chev one ton pickup frame a while back ....some interesting comparison can be made....."
The 37 frame is too early, you need to look at a 39/40 frame , Mike
Maybe other C8 owners are not aware of this .

The C8 rear axle assembly , including the springs , was already in production with the civilian 1939/40 rear axle as fitted to the 1 Ton chassis . I know this because I have a 39 1 Ton Chev here . I measured the springs - same size.

The torque tube is longer of course . The brake drums are larger too.

I cross referenced the parts books . The axle half shafts, same part number.
Attached Thumbnails
axle.jpg   axle-2.jpg  
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 04-11-17 at 06:07.
Old 04-11-17, 06:29
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default frame

More pics of the 1939 1 Ton frame and the torque tube / gear box .

The cab is a Holden cab. This chassis has 17" wheels which are original. 30 Years ago at a early HCVC commercial vehicle event at the old International truck plant in Dandenong one of these same trucks was on display, it was fitted with Toyota wheels , the owner told me he could not find 17" tyres
Attached Thumbnails
axle-3.jpg   axle-4.jpg   axle-5.jpg   axle-6.jpg  
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 04-11-17 at 06:35.
Old 04-11-17, 12:05

Richard,

Good to see the C8 safe and sound indoors! Great working space you have there.....not jealous at all

Bob, Mike.......very familiar details on those chassis!

Alex
Old 04-11-17, 12:19

Default 39 1 Ton Frame - 40 C8

Mike and Bob - I will check when I'm back at the shop on Monday. Mine looks very similar to the 39 1 ton frame.
Bob - yes, I was confused, I will look at the cross member under the cab as per your diagram. I'm sure I'll find more crap under there as well. The other CMP is going to stay in the field where it is until maybe the spring. Next time I'm up that way, I'll drop in on the farmer to see what it is but right now, I have lots to do.
Alex - thanks for the compliment, it is a wonderful shop. My only problem is that I have to work full time to pay for it which leaves little time for the fun stuff like restoring CMP's! However, I am working on a life/work/CMP restoration balance this winter. I'm not sure if I will be as productive as Peter Duggan.
Thanks guys for the comments, I keep forgetting that the 8's are only 2 wheel drive! Pretty easy to do after spending years looking at the 4 wheel drive units.
1941 CMP C12 C-15A (Parts)
1942 CMP C13 F-60S Dumper (Restoring)
2 x 1941 CMP C12 F-GT (Storage)
194? CMP C13 C-60X (For Sale)
Old 05-11-17, 18:14

Default Aaah ah......

Hi Mike

I also have a 40 chev 1 ton pickup which I have yet to undress.......but peaking underneath the as the flat rear frame and provision for dual rear. The 40 frame looks identical to my eyes to the 37..... can't really compare until the body is removed from the 40

My 37 sports 16" artilery rims while the 1940 has balloon 6:50 x20 tires. The forty has the complete power train..... more stuff to play with.

Got the 1940 on EBAY a few days just before Xmas only bidder and truck was only 1OO miles from my place....... spare fenders, rear axle, rims, and two extra cabs...... for $100.
Attached Thumbnails
IM003283enl.jpg   IM003276enl.jpg   IM003287.jpg   IM003296.jpg   IM003299.jpg  

Canada
Old 05-11-17, 18:18

Default More pixs.....

....best deal by the pounds.

nice to have a spare rear axle........ 216 engine, 4 speed tranny is copy of CMP.

not sure when I will get to it but you have tweaked my curiosity.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IM003307.jpg   IM003314.jpg  
Canada
Old 06-11-17, 01:53
Terry Warner

Bob, those photos can't be recent? Or did a blizzard bypass my neighbourhood?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 06-11-17, 03:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Bob, those photos can't be recent? Or did a blizzard bypass my neighbourhood?
You live closer to Parliament Hill than Bob does. (Hot air from politicians of all stripes melts snow.)
But, more honestly, the photos the photos look to have been taken several years ago when Bob acquired the truck.