MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-18, 23:04

Default Correct location for rifle holders in Cab13 F60S

Hi,

Could anyone kindly help me out?

In my reproduction 1943 Maintenance Manual there is a lovely illustration of a Cab13 layout of its furniture and fixings. The picture clearly shows 2 x rifle holders (one in each corner of the rear of the Cab)

However in my F60S LAAT there is a rifle holder Located in the rear right corner (behind drivers right shoulder which I believe is correct)

But the second rifle holder is off centre (between the gear stick and passenger seat?

Is this correct or has the previous owner restored got it slightly wrong ?

I have been trying to attach a photograph of my Cab but unfortunately an error message appears and the picture doesn't appear.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark
Old 09-05-18, 00:54

My experience is that there should be one wooden butt holder block in each rear corner of the cab. This is mainly based on Chevrolets, but does include Fords.
General instructions on posting pictures are at http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19 The most common problem people seem to have is that they are trying to post photos that are too large.
Old 09-05-18, 01:19
VMVC

Default rifle holders

Hi Mark,

Maybe this is a not a definitive answer but are there two holes drilled for the upper rifle bracket clips on the corresponding left side of the lower cabin back?

If so, then perhaps it was moved to the central location. It could also mean however that it was a modification for that particular model. I am not familiar with the LAAT version, likewise all the differences between Canadian and Australian built cabs so hopefully someone else can shed some light on it.

In the case of Australian built Ford cabs they have those mounting holes dimpled into the lower cabin back to accept flat head screws for the upper rifle brackets left and right side as shown in the manual. The rear floorboard is tapped to accept flat head screws to hold the wooden rifle butt holders. Perhaps if that center rifle butt holder is attached through two tapped holes in the floor it was a factory installation. Doubt if anyone would go to the trouble in the field to tap it. I am assuming of course that Canadian built cab floors were also tapped for those butt holder screws.

Anyway, it's some food for thought.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 09-05-18 at 02:10. Reason: changed to two tapped holes
Old 09-05-18, 14:10

Default Picture

A picture of the clips

Thanks for your posts I appreciate it .... and thanks to the helpful info I have now managed to successfully attach a picture .... you will see the rifle clip brackets. The wooden butt holders are below them in the floor .
Attached Thumbnails
B95F5B9D-042A-43EF-9043-AFF41925B31E.jpg  
Old 09-05-18, 14:57

Hi,
My F30 LAAT has the same set up.

But s far as i can make out, there was a second battery fitted in the 13 cab, I believe for Russia originally the measurements match the battery holder on the OS step - it has the holes for the hand primer by the drivers seat.
Daimler Heavy Mk 1 to restore
Old 10-05-18, 00:01
VMVC

Default Ford LAAT

Hi Mark,

I looked at your initial posts and now know what a LAAT looks like. I had been thinking it was similar to the Australian self-propelled Bofors as per the attached from the AWM via Pinterest.

I have attached another picture of that variant in "The History of Ford in Australia" by Norm Darwin and looking through a magnifying glass there isn't even a lower rear cabin back to hold the upper rifle bracket let alone rifle butt holders on that variant!

Maybe a dumb question but what makes a truck a LAAT and not a GS vehicle?
Is it the fit out inside the rear body?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Australian Ford self propelled bofors.jpg   IMG_0259.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 10-05-18, 13:17

Hi Jacques,

Superb pictures ... very interesting to look at! Thanks for posting them.

And yes you are right indeed.... it’s all down to the fit inside the body, and also the F60S has a winch to pull the Bofors out of the mire if it should become stuck!

The lockers on the side of the metal body are stowage bins for 8x 40mm Ammo boxes (4 each side) and the rear had seating for 6 x men (3 on each side) plus a rear facing seat that a ‘breaksman’ sits on to pull the rope that helps break the trailered gun. The rear also has internal stowage bins for the soldiers personal equipment and spare wheels, a central locker for a coffin for the spare barrel and other compartments for spares for the gun itself.

Unfortunately on my example none of the above exists today as it was removed by the bus company that used her after the war. And I need to re fabricate the entire set up ..... I do have the 2 x Crew lights that belong in the rear which is a start . I’m not sure how to go about making the lockers and rear seats but there are some marvellous examples on this forum
which owners have made !!

The first pic is us on the move to a show and the second pick is us finally set up����
Attached Thumbnails
BBE967BA-F5A3-46A0-84D5-742912F18D82.jpg   CE2FD5E8-4E7E-4E65-B9AB-B3D874378514.jpeg  

Last edited by Mark Towers; 10-05-18 at 13:30.
Old 10-05-18, 13:26

More pics

The first pic is me on the way to a show

The second pic is an a copy of the correct lay out in the rear

Hope you have found this useful .. 👍🏻 There is no such thing as a silly question 😀

Kind regards,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
8FDA81E2-A46B-4EAF-8A9B-114733CD9A61.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 11-05-18, 00:10
VMVC

Default Ford LAAT

Hi Mark,

And thank you too for the detailed explanation and the extra photos which make it all clear. You have a very nice looking combination there.

Perhaps our NZ members can answer a question:
In 2002 on a voyage to New Zealand, the ship's agent took me to a salvage yard between Lyttleton and Christchurch to show me a Ford CMP truck sitting there. Didn't take any photos unfortunately, but I distinctly remember the side storage lockers on the body which was different to any Australian bodied vehicle I had seen up to that time. I just assumed it was a New Zealand body variant of a GS vehicle. My friend was not a MV enthusiast so could not shed any light on the subject.

So, based on that info, did the NZ Army use the same LAAT as Mark's example and therefore I was looking at a LAAT?

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 14-05-18, 23:15

Default C60l

We have unrenovated cab 13 F60L still with original holders - and they are in the corners...
Old 16-05-18, 22:23
Dave

Hi Mark,

I didn't know that you where into CMP's, just thought that you had the BSA?

Up where I live, in the 80's we had a scrap yard that had a few Ford LAAT's. I think they had been used by The United Bus Company. They feature in one of the early Wheels and Tracks.
Where did you get yours from? I know that Simon Johnson from Blackburn/Preston sold one some time ago. I had part share in a Chev C15, but it was sold about 12 years ago to someone in the Midlands, would like to find out where it went.

Yours is looking good.

Dave
Old 17-05-18, 09:34
F60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mitchell View Post
Hi,
My F30 LAAT has the same set up.

But s far as i can make out, there was a second battery fitted in the 13 cab, I believe for Russia originally the measurements match the battery holder on the OS step - it has the holes for the hand primer by the drivers seat.
This comment caught my eye as on our F60S LAAT we have a slot in the driver's floor board, between the seat and the door, with a wider hole at one end. This is surrounded by fixing holes and I do not know what this is for. I have seen one other and it is blanked off.