Default Canadian Corps Sigs photos...

Hi there

Nice shots of 30 and 15 cwt sigs vans and dr's here

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1073339254

Steve
Old 06-01-04, 02:30
M38A1 CDN3

Default Corps Signals pics

I hope no-one else had a download problem like I had trying to see what Steve Guthrie was offering. Since I could only get about 2/3rds of the site showing, my observations might prove to be a touch out of line, since some self evident items weren't available to me.

Steve, since you and I share similar avatars, thanks for the link.

Observations, as I could determine from the incomplete download:

In the first of four shots, the left hand Chev looks to be a Lorry, 3T, Wireless (C33).

In between the two vehicles, looks to be a Trailer, Generator, 2 KW.

Interesting to note that the Chev, having the C33 set, sports a single series of "F" sections of rod antennae, while the 15cwt on the right displays the "V" Laporte twin antenna array.

Both the DR and the RadOp appear to be wearing the CVSM and clasp. I think that that would date the photos, since I believe that that decoration was only authorized for wear during the latter part of the war.

The Corporal RadOp appears to be holding the "daffodil" type microphone assembly for the C33 set, perhaps using a remote unit as would be used in a penthouse.
Old 06-01-04, 10:08
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Corps Signals pics

Jon, I've made a link to some of these photos so readers of this forum can match your comments to the pics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Observations, as I could determine from the incomplete download:

In the first of four shots, the left hand Chev looks to be a Lorry, 3T, Wireless (C33).

In between the two vehicles, looks to be a Trailer, Generator, 2 KW.

Interesting to note that the Chev, having the C33 set, sports a single series of "F" sections of rod antennae, while the 15cwt on the right displays the "V" Laporte twin antenna array.

Quote:
Both the DR and the RadOp appear to be wearing the CVSM and clasp. I think that that would date the photos, since I believe that that decoration was only authorized for wear during the latter part of the war.

The Corporal RadOp appears to be holding the "daffodil" type microphone assembly for the C33 set, perhaps using a remote unit as would be used in a penthouse.

Photo Source: http://www.britishpathe.com
from 1957.05 | (CANADIAN DESPATCH RIDERS AND SIGNALLERS)

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 06-01-04, 12:29

Default Dating images

A couple of clues in the images may indicate the date. The RCCS personnel are wearing the wedge style cap, which was withdrawn and replaced by the beret starting in late 43 and through 1944. The CVSM clasp was awarded starting late in 1943. The RCCS personnel also appear to be wearing canvas (printed) formation signs, which were issued starting in 43. (Melton patches were issued starting in 1942, and the economy printed style in 1943.) Putting these together it would be reasonable to suggest the images are from late 43, early 44.
Old 07-01-04, 01:19
Greybeard Member

Default Picture link...

Hi Hanno

Thanks for making the photos available.

Notice how the disruptive pattern is the same on both vehicles but the base colour seems to be different.

Also, the quality of the photos is much better than is usually seen on the British Pathe site.

Steve
Old 07-01-04, 09:43

Default dating of photographs

The steel DR helmet replaced the pulp helmet and started being issued in 1943 (despite some 1942 dated ones being around).
The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals probably followed their British cousins in the october 1944 (in ACI's announced) name change: (British) Royal Corps of Signals in Royal Signals. The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (RCCS) became Royal Canadian Signals. Most staff still have the RCCS patch. So again this would date the pictures between early 1943-autumn 1944.

Rob
Old 07-01-04, 13:12

Default Re RCCS

Hi Rob, According to the Concise Lineages of the Canadian Army 1855- Present by Stewart, 1982, the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals retained that designation until disbandment with the unification of the Canadian Forces in 1968. There wasn't a change in designation authorized between 1936 and 1948.
Old 07-01-04, 16:33
M38A1 CDN3

Default RCCS-Terms of reference

Rob, Bill et al:

Quoting from The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals Standing Orders:

The full title of the Corps is "The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals".

The short title for use in conversation, unofficial publications and on visiting cards is "Royal Canadian Signals".

The abbreviated title for use in official publications, after a unit title and in the field is "RC SIGS".
Old 07-01-04, 22:20

Default RCCS and insignia

Hello Jon et al,
The official abbreviation for the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals appears to have been R.C.C.S. (as listed in Appendix to RO No 1862, 1942.) The formation insignia during WW II did not use any other abbreviation that I can find. The shoulder titles and greatcoat titles appear to have worn R.C.Signals white on blue, while the khaki summer and winter issue shoulder slip-ons were R.C.C.S. Short abbreviated titles with R.C.C.S. in white on blue may have been worn on greatcoats and brassards. It appears that the fully spelled out titles, Royal Canadain Signals weren't issued until post-war, but I may stand correrted on this. I have not found any photo evidence of the Royal Canadain Signals titles on WWII tunics.