MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 19-12-09, 04:48
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default HUP-date

People have been asking me about progress on my HUP and asking to see photos. In a nutshell, progress is being made, but because of the distance from home to my rural dacha, it is at a snail's pace. As well, I need not explain about the time (and $$) it takes to track down missing parts, among all the other things that add to the time taken, never mind the limitations of my skills, and the time and money demands of everything else in one's life.

Briefly, it is a 1945 'Staff Car' version of the C8A HUP, body style 1C11. Key differences from earlier HUP versions were all-glass windows, door handles, longer springs, drive-line drum brake (to dampen vibrations), transfer case mounted on rubber engine mounts, sunshine roof forward rather than aft, and a finished interior with linoleum floor, pressed paper liner, folding map table, and dual interior lights, and a rear underbody tool locker, among other details.

I am guessing that of the 13,000 or so HUPs built, there may have been about 1000 or even fewer of the staff car version built. Mine is the 81st from last off the line. I know of about five survivors.

Acquired in Saskatchewan in '04, moved to Winnipeg until spring '05 when it was moved to a country property I had bought which has a workshop.

I have put up a set of selected photos on Flickr from the collection of have made chronicling the project. I will be adding information to the photos as I go on.

In the meantime, here is the link for anyone interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2830319...57623022906902
Old 19-12-09, 05:29
Mr. HUP

Default Excellent Photo Album

Mark, Thanks for posting the photo album. It is clear that you are making progress and I can relate to the unique challenges in restoring the 45 HUP. It was interesting to see the state of the vehicle when you got it, and to compare notes with my '45 project. While your HUP seems to have avoided a lot of abuse to the sheet metal (for the most part), my sheet metal had to be replaced. My frame escaped major damage and included the tool locker. Each has its challenges.

It is good to see another of these unique trucks nearing a restored state. You mentioned five survivors - I know of four - your HUP, my HUP, CWM's HUP and the "farmer's" HUP. Who has the fifth HUP?

Keep up the excellent work, and I hope you keep adding photos to the album. You have inspired me to copy your example and I may post an album on Photobucket in the near future.
Old 19-12-09, 06:24
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default The other staff car

Wow, fast reply Rob - I am still sitting here at work (things are slow tonight) adding information to the Flickr photo set. The fifth staff car is the one owned by Frantisek, the guy in the Czech republic. If you search around MLU you may find his posts about the truck - he put up a bunch of nice pictures of it, as well as some useful interior shots you might recall.

I was out at the dacha on Tuesday, but just long enough to cut a Christmas tree - it was about -22C and the windchill made it closer to -30C. Just popped into the shop for a few minutes, but had no time to do anything. If I had put the propane heater on, I might have got it up to a tolerable -10C or so, which might have bearable enough to work in.

I'll see if I can find any internal links to Frantisek's posts.

By the way, I was talking CMPs with my work colleague who asked if I had thought of doing any research into Oshawa sources, and he found the Oshawa Museum's Virtual Museum site that has a gallery of pics including a bunch of CMP stuff. Here is an interesting shot of a '45 staff car which seems to have been undergoing some sort of wading tests.
Attached Thumbnails
OSM1000100a7.jpg  
Old 19-12-09, 06:27
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default FrantiseK Nachtlinger

Here is the thread I was thinking of. I think he says somewhere the truck is his dad's.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ight=Frantisek
Old 19-12-09, 07:07
Mr. HUP

Default Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmperry4 View Post
Here is the thread I was thinking of. I think he says somewhere the truck is his dad's.tp://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/show...ight=Frantisek
They say that the memory is the second thing to go... How could I have forgotten the Czech HUP?!? Maybe I need a check-up...
Old 19-12-09, 16:31

Default Great Photo Set

Really enjoyed the picture set of the HUP keep up the good work and keep sharing the pictures.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 20-12-09, 04:34
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Thanks Phil, hope you don't mind the shout-out in the wiring loom pic, but I am still in awe of the job you did with that. Have a few more recent pics to add to the set, which will show the loom more or less in place.

I have been deleting some less interesting or repetitive pics and adding info to others.
Old 21-12-09, 15:45
MLU Administrator

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I think you are making great progress!

One survivor of this breed resides in the Netherlands, see the pics below. It has s/n 4844521269 and like most of these Staff Cars, it had seen little use before being struck off charge shortly after WW2. The current owner bought it from an owner in Belgium where it was used by a civil construction contractor, who at one point in time painted it yellow.

HTH,
Hanno

Old 22-12-09, 05:19
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I think you are making great progress!

One survivor of this breed resides in the Netherlands, see the pics below. It has s/n 4844521269 and like most of these Staff Cars, it had seen little use before being struck off charge shortly after WW2. The current owner bought it from an owner in Belgium where it was used by a civil construction contractor, who at one point in time painted it yellow.
Thanks for the vote of confidence and for the info on the PERS-3 in Netherlands. That actually would make the seventh-known HUP Staff Car. I had forgotten there were two, not just one, in Czech - Nachtlinger's dad's and another, I think his uncle's, and if I recall, they even had consecutive serial numbers (Possible relics of post-war UN relief operations.) See pic below. Haven't seen any posts from him on MLU for some time.
Attached Images

Old 22-12-09, 14:49
RIP

Quote:
...and he found the Oshawa Museum's Virtual Museum site that has a gallery of pics including a bunch of CMP stuff. Here is an interesting shot of a '45 staff car which seems to have been undergoing some sort of wading tests.
What is the URL? I can't find the site.
Old 23-12-09, 21:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence and for the info on the PERS-3 in Netherlands. That actually would make the seventh-known HUP Staff Car. I had forgotten there were two, not just one, in Czech - Nachtlinger's dad's and another, I think his uncle's, and if I recall, they even had consecutive serial numbers (Possible relics of post-war UN relief operations.) See pic below. Haven't seen any posts from him on MLU for some time.
Mark,

As a teenage boy I started registering surviving Sherman tanks. By the time I reached 1,000 records I stopped. And this was in The Pre-Internet Days. All I want to say with that is: once you start counting, you are bound to find out more of a certain type of vehicle still exist. If you read Wheels & Tracks you will see there are more than two HUP Staff Cars in the Czech republic.

Hanno
Old 26-12-09, 05:38
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Virtual Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
What is the URL? I can't find the site.
It seems a bit roundabout to get to, but I think this link will work:

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm_v2.ph...00000289&pos=1
Old 26-12-09, 05:43
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Mark,

If you read Wheels & Tracks you will see there are more than two HUP Staff Cars in the Czech republic.

Hanno
I pulled out my old Wheels& Tracks with the C8A the other day, and I will look again. I think the ones you refer to are in Part 2 of the C8A story. Are they the same ones, or different I wonder, and do they still survive? I should probably try to post to Frantisek and find out.

I also found I need to get a new W&T No.1 as it appears something was spilled on two pages of the C8A article - maybe I put a cup of coffee on it or something, I really can't tell, but something sticky mucked up two facing pages.
Old 26-12-09, 16:13
Mr. HUP

Default Wide Open Target

Quote:
I also found I need to get a new W&T No.1 as it appears something was spilled on two pages of the C8A article - maybe I put a cup of coffee on it or something, I really can't tell, but something sticky mucked up two facing pages.
Mark, I will resist the urge to comment further on the "sticky page" issue. Are copies of W&T1 available? I am looking for a copy as well.
Old 26-12-09, 18:39

Default Back Issues of Wheels & Tracks

If I read the site atthis link http://www.afterthebattle.com/wtlist.html correctly, most issues are still available (including #1).
Old 27-12-09, 04:47
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

I haven't figured out what the dried crud is, but it looks like it could have been coffee or a sticky bun or hot chocolate. I have no idea how it got there, and I suspect galpal Mary would plead innocence if I insinuated it might have been due to her carelessness. Meanwhile, thanks to Grant B for the After the Battle link - I may try to contact the new source to see if W&T1 is still available. The damage to the pages would just happen to be on the paragraphs where the PERS-3 details are listed.