MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 30-01-17, 23:53

Default Paint

Hello new member here my name is troy , iam building a bantam trailer to tow behind my s2 rover for camping etc, i was going to paint the trailer olive drab when i finished it but started looking and would like to paint kg3 . I'm in British Columbia and iam having a very hard time finding that color or a code so I can get it mixed , could someone help me out ? Thanks.
Old 31-01-17, 00:25

Jeez, I could sell you a wide track trailer that would be a lot easier to tow because you can see it and it has a darn sight more space and a drop tailgate

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 31-01-17, 02:27

Lol , your right about that . Actually this trailer is a perfect size for a series rover.
Old 31-01-17, 04:31

Default Hello.... and where are you???

Hi Troy and welcome to MLU. I am not the expert on what color went where, BUT if you can get a sample of the color or Code #, I may be able to help you out. Hopefully a "Mr Love" will chime in!
Cheers....Robert (Vancouver)
Old 31-01-17, 05:38

I hope I can get a code from someone here . I've contacted a couple military museums and the suggestion was to ask here . Hopefully someone can help me out . I found a supplier in the uk that has khaki green 3 but the amount to have it shipped because it's considered hazardous is unreal. I was hoping someone in b.c. could sell me a couple liters or help me out with the code so I can get it mixed myself.
Old 31-01-17, 06:10

Default Very very simple!

Troy: If your contact in the UK has a large DRY sample, tell them to send it here and I can have it matched. Any product....anytime! So where are you located in BC?
Cheers.....Robert
Old 31-01-17, 06:14
carrier mech

If you google khaki green no3 there are some decent colour swatches and comparisons with other khaklis, but then again the colours will only be as good as your monitor settings.
Old 31-01-17, 06:41

Default best bet....

Rob: Best bet is to either get an actual dry sample from a reputable mfg in the UK....someone that everyone agrees with, that it IS the right colour (and that is something that I don't ever think will be resolved) and have it sent here and we can take it from there. Took your advice and googled the colour and it's all over the map. No jabs at you or anyone on the forum....but paint colours seem to be one of those dilemmas that none of us will ever resolve! Period!!

Hang in there Troy....we're not finished with you yet! Robert
Old 31-01-17, 14:10
carrier mech

Even the military seemed to change it's specs. At one point, the government of Canada tossed the CGSB paint codes. I was looking up the obsolete olive drab paint the other day and noticed the Cdn army had then jumped over to a US paint chip specification for it, while still referring to the obsolete Cdn colour as well.
Old 31-01-17, 15:58

Robert I am in Castlegar, the west kooteneys. I will email the paint shop in the u.k. again and see if they would do that . They didn't seem too interested before. I can't believe for a color used on commonwealth military equipment it is so hard to get a code for .
Old 06-02-17, 23:24

Started looking on the Internet while waiting for a reply from the two companies that offer kg3 and decided to buy some model paint and follow mike starmers mix for kg3 and for scc2 , so i mixed up the 2 colors using his formula. Hard to tell whats right with having nothing to compare it to ......then I remebered that I had a ww2 canadian helmet given to me years ago , after searching through my kids room I found it . I pulled the liner out of it because the paint on the inside is in really nice condition and it's almost a exact match for scc2 that I mixed up , does that sound right ? Anyway iam going to take it to a body shop and have them shoot it to see if I can get a paint code for the color it is .