MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 29-07-16, 16:11
Brian Asbury

Default Armoured Snowmobile manual

I am reproducing of the rare Illustrated Parts List B-SNOW-03 for the Mk 1 Canadian Armoured Snowmobile, January 1945 for another collector. If interested in a very nice copy of this well-illustrated, 143p book then PM me. ....... Brian
Old 03-08-16, 19:02
Brian Asbury

Thanks to those who expressed an interest in this rare manual. The limited production run had been done.... Brian
Old 26-01-17, 14:28

Brian. Are there any clues in the parts manual to the construction of these vehicles?

I was looking at a detailed set of photos of the survivor in Rome last night and it would appear the horizontal section of fenders are 1/2 inch plywood set in angle iron frames. In addition, the entire upper superstructure, covering the two crew compartments and engine bay are also angle framed and plywood. Side shots appear to be of identical profile to similar photos of the Armored Snowmobile in service in Canada. Now I am curious if this was standard construction or a repro effort on the Rome vehicle.

Looking down on the top of the Rome example, the two crew compartments are covered over with each having a large round access ring, with a padded circumference. Looks like canvas covers could be fitted to these openings from the outside when the vehicle was parked to keep the weather out.

Headlamp looks Lucas and the horn Ford CMP.

David
Old 15-02-17, 03:18

Default armoured snowmobile

Hi David
I read your comments with interest, I also note that side decks are plywood and I believe that top of the passenger compartment is a plywood retro fit to keep the driver/passenger protected from the elements. Will look again to see if upper super structure is wood-should be metal. The manual has only 2-3 pages covering the hull no mention of wood except in title description as runningboards and floorboards. No illustrations. I note that the exhaust appears to b e standard Ford CMP mufflers repiped to fit this machine. There is a good article may 1977 by Joe Sauve in a modeller magazine( Airfix?) worth checking out if you have not seen it. BP
Old 15-02-17, 15:21

Hi, Bob.

To me, this is the most fascinating vehicle built by Canada during the war. That so few have survived (2?) in anything potentially close to original completeness, just adds to the intrigue.

Until finding the file of photos documenting the Rome survivor, the only photos, drawings or films I had ever seen were all ground level shots, with next to no useful upper deck detail.

The two aeroscreens on the Rome vehicle appear to be correct and mounted in the correct locations. Much of the upper hull detail from the sides, also matches in detail other photos I have seen. Film clips clearly show these vehicles were fast travelling on deep snow!

Keeping the weather out while keeping weight down, also plays into Bombardier's skill in designing the bigger cousin to the Armoured Snowmobile. It's body is plywood construction over steel frame, so the idea the wooden upper hull on the AS is original design, fits well. Bombardier were no strangers to the concept.

Would have been nice to have more paperwork on the Armoured Snowmobile to review, or photos taken in service showing better upper hull/top deck details. Personal knowledge from some of the guys who drove them would be a great help as well.

Guess we've pretty much hijacked Brian's thread now.

David
Old 15-02-17, 16:14

Default Armoured Snowmobile

I agree with Bob that the plywood crew compartment on the Italian machine appears to be a retrofit. The Italian vehicle appears to be missing some other details where as the Russian example looks to be more complete.

Here are a couple of photographs of Canadian machines on Exercise in Churchill in 1946.

Fig. 120 - Snowmobile Negotiating Bank of Creek.jpg Fig. 173 - Snowmobile in Floating Bog.jpg
Old 15-02-17, 21:25
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
To me, this is the most fascinating vehicle built by Canada during the war. That so few have survived (2?) in anything potentially close to original completeness, just adds to the intrigue.
It's on my favourites list as well, for sure. There are various thread on this vehicle here on this forum and umpteen years ago I wrote a webpage on the Armoured Snowmobile, which now resides here: T16 Universal Carrier > Canadian Armoured Snowmobile (even in the digital world nothing is eternal, so many of the links no longer work - sorry for that.)

As for survivors, back then Jim Webster (by way of Gordon McMillan) noted:
  • "Some went to Yugoslavia [100+] in the late 40's and one was even seen, apparently, during the late civil war carrying a quad .50cal mount. I spotted that in an intelligence document and I'll see if I can get an image."
  • "An unknown quantity were sold to Turkey in 1947 and three survivors are in a scrapyard somewhere near Amasya if I recall correctly".
HTH,
Hanno