MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 17-01-08, 17:50

Default Oshkosh WT 2206 plow truck parts

Hello All,

I'm Larry Little, a new member live in TX. I bought a Oshkosh WT 2206 last year it was missing the LF axle & brake parts. I have learned they are very hard to find, I have the drawings & part #'s if any one has any suggestions? I have found the axles & other parts, but the Wagner brake parts are not avilable, so that is a major problem. I would buy the entire front axle assmbly if I could find it.
Any suggestions of a supply source, I have heard there are some in Canada.
This is a plow truck Oshkosh made for the USAF in the 50's to clear runways for B52's to take off for missions. It was so good that in the 80's the AF sent them back to Oshkosh for complete zero time re-build & put a Cat turbo diesel engine in them.

Thanks

Larry
Old 17-01-08, 20:49

Default Oshkosh

Larry I have 4 large wiring diagrams for the HET they are yours if you want them/they are from the US Army Oshkosh Coy that wa s attached to our own British Army|) free of charge. regards malcolm
Old 17-01-08, 23:49

Mally B, thank you kindly for the offer, however, plow truck is 50's & I am not sure what the HET is, but think it is more recient.
Old 19-01-08, 21:19

I'm guessing this photo is the Oshkosh plow truck Larry is working on. From the fact that the first rebuild came after about 20 years service in the 80s and that we are now about 20 more years forward, does this mean they are being sold off? If so, perhaps some surplus dealer near the bases where they were used might have bought some spare parts as they were released???? Apparently there were also two WT2206s provided as 5th wheel tractors with dual rear tires for use at Thule AFB.
Attached Thumbnails
oshkosh wt2206.jpg  
Old 19-01-08, 21:34

In the context of military trucks HET means Heavy Equipment Transporter to me. There have been at least two made by Oshkosh. The F2356 or M911 was an 8x6 made in the 70s, rated as a 22.5 ton truck and intended to tow the M747 semi-trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
oshkosh het f2365 m911.jpg  
Old 19-01-08, 21:39

Another Oshkosh HET, the 8x8 DA3858-2 was a product of the 80s and must have been quite complex having a steering front axle and an articlating frame. Both of these Oshkosh HETs had GVW just over 18000kg and GCW of 85000 to 87000kg. Just a bit beyond the average shade tree mechanic size.
Attached Thumbnails
oshkosh het da3858-2.jpg  
Old 19-01-08, 21:49

Default Snow equipment dealers

I've got a Ford-MH SnoGo myself (rest of forum yawns - fed up hearing about it)

While I was looking for parts for it a year or two back I was searching on the net for snow equipment dealers in the US, and at least one of the dealers had a couple of these things for sale.

I'm sure your best bet is to trawl through all the dealers till you find someone with a unit that is being parted out. I know how difficult it will be, but no other way.

Alternatively you could try to get it down to part numbers, find what other trucks were sold with them, etc, etc, but i'm assuming you have already tried that.
Old 19-01-08, 22:31

Yes sir Grant, that is like my WT 2206, I would guess they might have done anything with them in over 50 yrs. I fear the reason why the AF is selling them is the lack of parts, & why they took my LF Axle assembly. I am in a desprite search for a surplus dealer that might have parts, so far I have found 1 that has most of the axle parts, but no brake parts. It has been suggested that there are surplus dealers in northen NY & Canada that have them, however I have not been able to find any with google. I thought that might have been your meaning for HET, but due to the int. content thought it might be anything.

Gordon, I do not have a clue what your plow is would love to see a pix if any handy.
I appreciate all the suggestions as I sure need some help in this project. The gov has been selling a few more of these trucks, however based on my experence so far would not suggest getting one due to lack of parts. I thought of bidding on 1 this week, however it ended up going for $18-19K!

Thanks All
Old 20-01-08, 11:56

Default Happy to oblige

Blower page

Mine is a blower, rather than a plow, but you get the idea.

I had a similar parts shortage with mine, and ended up just tracking down salvage units to get parts from. it took years and cost money, but I got most of the stuff I needed.

It still needs about three hydraulic rams reworked (rusty piston surfaces) but apart from that...

I think your only option is to keep looking for a salvage unit. Even at 19k sales price that's a lot of truck - the engine would be worth that I think. It might pay to keep track of those auctioned too, in case someone buys one just for the engine and drivetrain and could let you have the parts you need.

Last edited by gordon; 20-01-08 at 12:06.
Old 21-01-08, 09:26

Thanks Gordon, I have seen blowers for sale but thought they just had too many moving parts to try to keep 1 going + the extra engine. But the thought of snow flying 50'+ sounds cool.

You may be right on parting a vehicle, I have been in contact with a guy that bought a truck like my 2206, it had the same front L axle parts missing! He is thinking of selling it for parts, so may have a source, except he has no brake parts for L side either. Might buy the complete axle & try to switch R to L.

Any one have any leads on Canadian surplus dealers that might have any Oshkosh Plow truck?

Thanks