MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-05-05, 04:11
Rust be gone!

Default Help with markings and #'s on new truck

Hello and thanks for having a look because I would like to confirm some things about these markings on my new CMP.

Drivers side above light= "5" bridge weight yellow circle?

Pass. side= tac marking top triange seems to show up but the bottom one doesnt. Any ideas what this would be and could you post a picture of what it may have looked like.

then theirs the "z" above "51-300" I think.

I'm lost when it comes to markings and need the experts help!

Rob
Attached Images

Old 16-05-05, 04:12
Rust be gone!

Default door #

door marking
Attached Images

Old 16-05-05, 04:13
Rust be gone!

Default last

?Tac marking
Attached Images

Old 16-05-05, 14:36
M38A1 CDN3

Default Markings

Greetings:

WRT the markings as shown:

The configuration of 52-300 suggests the post war CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number. Applied to the sides of both doors, and the 52 has nothing to do with any year.

The faint square on the right hand front side indicates the usual placement of either the unit or formation sign. I say either/or because these two signs were switched post war, and since this vehicle's CAR is post war, then the square would indicate where the unit sign would be applied.

HTH
Old 16-05-05, 15:44
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Markings

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
The configuration of 52-300 suggests the post war CAR (Canadian Army Registration) number. Applied to the sides of both doors, and the 52 has nothing to do with any year.
It is the DND serial number as used on vehicles for domestic use. As far as I know, Z over 51-300 could be wartime just as well. See John McNarry's '43 f15a for another example.

H.
Old 17-05-05, 16:18
carrier mech

I have seen the CAR type number on vehicles which I know were released at the end of the war. I beleive these numbers were started around 43. The first CMP I ever restored had both the early number (41-1-1085) and was overpainted with a CAR number
A4 RCATC
Z
52-XXXX
on it, and it was purchased by the previous owner in 46 right out of Shilo.
Maybe the best way to get a cut-off date for when the DND numbers went to the new style numbers would be to run through one of the unit war diaries. I actually ran through the diaries of A4 RCATC looking for reference for my truck, and while I came close, I never hit it right on. The only real references to vehicle numbers that I found were directions to officers to do summary investigations on traffic accidents between trucks (and in some cases guns).
Old 17-05-05, 18:13
former Resident Historian

Default Z numbers

I know that Z 38-1- was used from 1938, and that Z 39-1-, Z 40-1-and then Z 41-1- were used but when DID the sequence stop?
Old 24-05-05, 13:28

Default References for WW2 DND Service Numbers

Canadian Active Service Force Routine Order 451 of 27 April 1940 specified instructions for marking military vehicles in service in Canada.
"3. All mechanically-propelled vehicles passed into service will be alloted a Department of National Defence Number".
The DND Number consisted of the last two figures of the year of purchase of the vehicle, followed by a 1, then by the vehicle number.

"5. The following marks will be painted on all Mechanically Propelled Vehicles:-
(i) Designation of arm of service.
(ii)Class letter.
(iii)Department of National Defence Number.
The marking will be painted, as applicable, on the outside of the door of the driver's compartment or, where doors do not exist, on the panel adjacent to the driver's seat. Marking will be on each side of the vehicle.
Motorcycles will be marked on the left side of the gasoline tank in convenient sized letters and numbers.
White paint will be used for the marking of vehicles."

Effective 15 July 1943, Routine Order 451 was cancelled and Routine Order 3493 was promulgated. A new DND numbering system was introduced. Vehicles other than motorcycles were to be consecutively numbered, irrespective of type or year of issue commencing with D.N.D number 50-001. Motorcycles were numbered consecutively irrespective of type or year of issue commencing with D.N.D. number 2-001. Class identifying letters remained the same. Unit designations were not to be used, markings were to be in the same location as before.

More info can be found at http://mpmuseum.org/provostvehicle.html

If needed I can scan the original Routine orders.