MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-12-10, 01:01
Toby Baillie

Did a bit of work on cleaning up the Blitzes yesterday, particular the Ford. Found the number 3G 6926284F on the engine; considering my lack of information on the truck, I wondered if this would help to shed some more light on the truck's history? It also appears as if the truck may have been painted in desert camouflage at one stage or another, which further muddies the waters.

Another interesting feature of this truck is that both the seats can fold down. Was this a common thing for Ford Blitzes at any stage, or could these seats have been pinched from an ambulance or something?
Old 28-12-10, 01:09
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Your F60L

The 3G indicates a 1942 model. The folding seats are usually found in cab 12s but may also have been fitted to the early cab 13s.
If you were to go to the War Memorial and painstakingly trawl through the AWM 126 series of books you will find your engine number matched to a particular ARN which will tell you details of it's body type and often when and to whom it was sold after service. But it really is a needle in a haystack exercise because the vehicles are listed in ARN number and the engines are FAR from sequential.
EDIT: Just had another look at the pics on the previous page and now remember it was a Canadian import with the GS-6 body. With an approximate ARN it should be easy for you to track down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanthry View Post
Did a bit of work on cleaning up the Blitzes yesterday, particular the Ford. Found the number 3G 6926284F on the engine; considering my lack of information on the truck, I wondered if this would help to shed some more light on the truck's history? It also appears as if the truck may have been painted in desert camouflage at one stage or another, which further muddies the waters.

Another interesting feature of this truck is that both the seats can fold down. Was this a common thing for Ford Blitzes at any stage, or could these seats have been pinched from an ambulance or something?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern

Last edited by Keith Webb; 28-12-10 at 04:45. Reason: Additional info
Old 13-01-11, 10:40
Toby Baillie

Default Another Blitz running!

G'day all!

Well, after a solid morning's work, the Ford is now running. After borrowing a few parts off John Mackie (as well as his expertise), the big V8 roared into life, firing albeit on 7 cylinders. The engine has suffered some water damage; the original carby had to be swapped out as it bore the brunt of the water, but no doubt saved the engine from the bulk of the water. Two valves were stiff and sore, but with continued oiling and hand-cranking the engine, we managed to limber them up a bit.

We took her for a drive around the property, and she behaved superbly for a vehicle that hasn't run for so long. So now I own two running Blitzes, and indeed may need them running, if the water which is lapping at the tops of the river banks keeps rising!

EDIT: Photos added.
Attached Thumbnails
F25.jpg   F29.jpg   F34.jpg   F41.jpg   F46.jpg  

Last edited by Willanthry; 14-01-11 at 00:46.
Old 13-01-11, 11:23
Blitzed

Default running blitz

Well done, great news, I bet you were smiling when the old girl roared to life.
Any pics?
ryan
Old 13-01-11, 11:45
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Running

Wonderful to hear another old warrior come back to life, even on 7 cylinders! Keep them out of the water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanthry View Post
G'day all!

Well, after a solid morning's work, the Ford is now running. After borrowing a few parts off John Mackie (as well as his expertise), the big V8 roared into life, firing albeit on 7 cylinders. The engine has suffered some water damage; the original carby had to be swapped out as it bore the brunt of the water, but no doubt saved the engine from the bulk of the water. Two valves were stiff and sore, but with continued oiling and hand-cranking the engine, we managed to limber them up a bit.

We took her for a drive around the property, and she behaved superbly for a vehicle that hasn't run for so long. So now I own two running Blitzes, and indeed may need them running, if the water which is lapping at the tops of the river banks keeps rising!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 21-03-11, 03:24
Toby Baillie

Well, it's all quiet on the Blitz front at the moment as I begin my studies at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra. I tried my utmost to make it to Corowa, but the logistics defeated me; there's always next year, I suppose.

I did, however, manage to persuade one of the tour guides at the Australian War Memorial to let me jump under the Chev Blitz they have on display and have a look (I was in uniform; they never refuse you ).I was looking to see what the set-up was like for the handbrake assembly, but it seemed to be different again from mine, so i was none the wiser, although it was an interesting experience.

Anyway, I've got a bit of time off coming up; hopefully I can get some more work done.
Old 08-04-12, 14:43
Toby Baillie

Default Update

Just updating my thread to keep it alive; haven't been able to do anything on the Blitzes for a while because I haven't been home long enough do anything. I have a couple of weeks off coming up in May during which I plan to clean up both my Blitzes and do some work on them. Having found a DVD copy of "The Back of Beyond" and the other Tom Kruse documentaries, I'm very much inspired to get some restoration happening.

I also have some belated photos of a Blitz me and John Mackie scouted out at Ungarie. Unfortunately, my internet isn't letting me post them at the moment, so i'll try again tomorrow.
Old 09-04-12, 02:13
Toby Baillie

Default Ungarie Blitz

Here we go; Note the date on the underside of the bonnet (if you can see it!)
Attached Thumbnails
Un1.jpg   Un2.jpg   Un3.jpg   Un4.jpg   Un5.jpg  

Old 09-04-12, 03:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Arn 52633?

I assume there is a '5' at the beginning of the pic with the ARN. If so this is the record for it:

If so... it was a F60S, chassis and engine number 3G1910F (seems to be a number short) and the designation is interesting... "KTN". Can anyone tell what that was?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-05-14, 01:57
Toby Baillie

Default It's been a while...

Good Morning to everyone!

Well, this is my first post on my thread on MLU for over two years...two years in which a great deal has been going on. I've been all over the place with the Navy and haven't had a great deal of time to settle down to anything, including (unfortunately) Blitz Restoration! I'm currently in Sydney, but I'm once again about to post up North to Darwin to join a Patrol Boat. It'll be nonstop for a few months and then back to Sydney by October. Hopefully, I'll be able to get onto some serious Blitz work prior to Christmas.

Two excuses (among many) for such a long delay in staying up to date and for doing any Blitzwork are as follows;

1. My studies at the Australian Defence Force Academy, from whence I have successfully graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (History) following my thesis on the Australian Naval Contribution to the Boxer Rebellion.

2. The Navy has kept me busy with work, postings and courses, and I haven't had much time to get home to my babies.

The main reason, however, is not as happy or busy. Just before Christmas last year (a few days after I went on leave for Christmas), my main restoration partner in this enterprise, my dad Glen, was killed in a workplace accident. I toyed with the idea of selling my trucks, as I could not envisage continuing the restoration effort without my Dad (who encouraged me to begin in the first place and has helped and supported me every step of the way).

Now, however, as time has passed and I've had time to think, I'm more determined than ever to successfully restore these trucks to their former glory. I think Dad would have wanted that. I'll have to learn a lot more new skills to do this, as I relied on him for a lot of the technical aspects I never had (I'm good enough at dismantling the trucks, not so good as restoring and putting them back together). It's going to happen though, I guarantee it!

I have something of a plan in place to facilitate this. The first step (when I get back from up North) is to have a clean-up and stock-take of the ridiculous amount of rubbish I've managed to accumulate surrounding this restoration (with a view to getting the scrappy out here) and have a general clean-up and maintenance period of my trucks. Next is to use funds gained from the sale of my car to finance a shed (which has long been on the agenda but not necessarily viable) in which to store the trucks and gear. Once this has taken place, I'll have a much firmer foundation upon which to base my restorations and also will be conserving the trucks much better than they currently are under tarps out in the elements.

Looking forward to consulting the accumulated wisdom of this Forum once more on the technical problems which will inevitably arise and keeping you up to date on the restorations.
Old 05-05-14, 09:11

Default Welcome back!

Toby!!

Good on you mate, great to see a post from you on MLU again...

I am informed from time to time of what you're up to by one Mr John Mackie..

Congrat's on completion of your Arts Degree, that sounds like a very interesting topic and one I look forward to bending you ear on at some stage.

I was very very sorry to hear about your Dad. I did meet him while you were away at the Academy.

Stoked you're going to continue with the trucks - you're welcome in Ganmain anytime...

If I can help in any way or if you just want to come over for a tyre kick... please feel free.

Last edited by Ganmain Tony; 07-05-14 at 12:05.
Old 05-05-14, 09:17
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi Toby,
I spoke to your Farther on the phone and he was very proud of you. I know you will miss him, I still miss mine at times and I lost him to old age so it was expected.
Fortunately Blitz's aren't all that technical so restoring them is mainly a time and money thing. Stay safe on the seas and I look forward to your next lot of photos when you start again.
Old 06-05-14, 13:46
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile He's Back

G'day Toby, Long time no hear!
You were the subject of discussion at Corowa, I was wondering how you were getting on.
I too was saddened to hear of your Dad, it is one of those times in your life that always effects you, I hope you coped OK.
And, YES! Boar into the trucks. And as Tony said, look us up next time you are roading it home.
Cheers
H
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 28-08-17, 01:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default C60L - your truck has a brother

Hi Toby, I've just been speaking to Peter Armanini in Griffith who has another WO48 model 'Stores Unbinned' C60L.

Your ARN is 141875, his is 141862 and it was built four days earlier than yours.
Attached are a few photos Peter posted on Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
141862_P Armanini_1.jpg   141862_P Armanini_3.jpg   141862_P Armanini_5.jpg   141862_P Armanini_7 Data plate.jpg  

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 27-10-17, 02:53
Toby Baillie

G'day Keith,

Well there you go! What a small world! I suppose it would make sense that these trucks stayed in batches, but this one looks like it's in a fair bit better nick than mine.

I'll have to post a bit of an update actually; haven't had time to get back to this website or do any Blitz work for ages!

Hope everyone's well,

Toby
Old 16-04-20, 04:42
Toby Baillie

Default Still Alive

G'day All,

Just posting to let you know that I'm still alive and still keeping in mind my Blitzes even with everything going on!

There's been quite a lot happening since I last posted; I don't live in Hillston anymore and have bought a house in Murrumbateman just outside Canberra with my partner. I was working in Canberra but got jack of that pretty quickly and got myself a job with one of the nearby Councils working in GIS.

I was having a good talk with John Mackie Snr the other day and started missing my projects a lot! As soon as all this unpleasantness is out of the way, I'm heading home to take stock of the restos (which unfortunately have deteriorated into an advanced start of disorder in my absence).

I'm going to clean both trucks up, get the Ford in under cover in the shed and re-order and take stock of all my Chev parts. I really need to have a bit of a clear-out to be honest, so may be having a bit of a garage sale in the not too distant future.

The Chev will be my focus and hopefully I can get it into my workshop out at the farm. I also need to help move an old Bedford out at the farm which is deteriorating pretty fast (though she was a great go-er not to long ago).

I hope everyone's holding up well and keeping at it!

Toby
Old 10-05-20, 11:24
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile He's Back!

Good to see you again Toby!
Don't be a stranger.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)