MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-20, 17:23

Default Sherman version

Hi

I cast my plea (again another) to the those that know Shermans. Going through war diaries etc. I have found the following Sherman OPRAC or OPRA or RAOP. The latter designation speaks to the 105mm version. Is it possible that the other two designations are in fact the same version just the transcribers or dictators interpretation?
Old 11-04-20, 17:58
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
I cast my plea (again another) to the those that know Shermans. Going through war diaries etc. I have found the following Sherman OPRAC or OPRA or RAOP. The latter designation speaks to the 105mm version. Is it possible that the other two designations are in fact the same version just the transcribers or dictators interpretation?
I'm not quite sure from your question what you're asking, but it seems to me that all three acronyms are referring to the Observation Post version of the Sherman. Why one would be speaking to the 105mm version I don't know, unless it was possibly a conversion from a close support tank to an OP.

As I recall it was usually the armoured brigade headquarters who held and provided the OP tanks for the FOOs. With four different armoured brigade headquarters, I'm sure there were at least four different ways of identifying OP Shermans.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 11-04-20, 18:13
MLU Administrator

Hello Gary,

As Dan said, they must be referring to the Sherman Observation Post, either used by the RAC or RA. The Sherman Command/Observation Post tanks were normally based on 75-mm Sherman or Ram Mk II tanks. The Sherman with 105-mm howitser was used by Canadian units, but as far as I know they were not converted to OPs.