MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 27-12-19, 17:00

Default Sherman markings

Hi

Attempting to find the correct markings for a RHQ Sherman. I know that the symbol is a diamond, but did they or was there a numerical designation inside the diamond?

I've seen the Acorn publications which show numbers inside the diamond, one has a 7, when the information I have indicates only 4 Shermans in RHQ.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Gary
Old 27-12-19, 17:32
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
Attempting to find the correct markings for a RHQ Sherman. I know that the symbol is a diamond, but did they or was there a numerical designation inside the diamond?

I've seen the Acorn publications which show numbers inside the diamond, one has a 7, when the information I have indicates only 4 Shermans in RHQ.
Gary,

Another forum member, Jack G, posted this in an earlier message. It's a bit blurry but if you download it, it clears up a little. Hope it helps.

Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Tank Tactical Numbers 600x362.jpg  
Old 28-12-19, 22:40

Thanks Dan, I have that jewel. According to the old ACORN armour profiles, some of the RHQ tanks they have do have a number inside the diamond.

Based on other information I have RHQ only had 4 tanks, so I'll "assume" that the callsigns were Z1-Z4. Going back to ACORN, they show one RHQ tank profile with a 7 inside the triangle where the others have 1-4.

I am hoping that someone would have a photo of a sherman RHQ tank WW2 with what I am looking for, or for some definitive guideline/guidance.
Old 21-01-20, 22:20
(Michel Sabarly)

Gary, do you have a specific unit in mind? Because, depending on the unit, markings could differ quite a lot. "Sherman in RHQ" might have upwards of 100 possible variations depending on which Sherman and which unit we're talking about...

Michel
Old 04-02-20, 09:22

Am guessing, but is this the example of HQ tank with a number 7?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-02-04 netherlands_45_4 jpg (JPEG Image, 612 × 792 pixels).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	111792

The above is a Divisional HQ vehicle as indicated by the AoS marking - white 40 over black.

Numbers were not always used inside the tactical markings. Many photos from early in Normandy show a large tactical number located on the turret rear separate from the geometric shaped marking. A painting from this period shows another example, with the tactical number found on the lower remnants of wading gear.

regards,
Jack

Last edited by Jack Geratic; 07-02-20 at 05:10.