MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 18-07-12, 06:56
VMVC

Default CMP Ford Flathead/Sidevalve V8 oil filters

I am going to use the original bypass oil filter on my Ford F15A CMP. I feel some filtration is better than no filtration at all. Not being a hot rodder (or intending to use the truck in the dusty outback) I do not see the need to modify it to a full flow type as is often done- most early civillian Flathead engines didn't have filters anyway. While researching replacement elements for it I found some peculiarities. The ID of the cannister is 4.125". As per the photo of a sample NOS element the dimensions are 3.813" OD x 5.50" long. The closest match I could find for a bypass element was a WIX 51001 which is listed for 60-61 GMC's and is 3.72" OD x 5.50" long.
The WIX 51006 is the one quoted for the flathead V8 and is 4.09" OD x 5.00" long (1/2" shorter). It also seems many filter elements listed for the 40's flatheads have a greater diameter than 4.125" and therefore will not fit, such as Fram C4, OD 4.20" and Purolator L30034, OD 4.21". They often are only 5.00" long too.
The cannister is a different design too, to most US Flathead engine filters, It has female threads on the lid retaining nut as opposed to a male retaining screw on US engines.
This is more for fellow Australian restorers, but I have found the WIX 51001 is not available here but the 51006 is- at a price. I am using a Fleetguard LF510 which is listed for the Flathead V8, and is 3.97" OD x 4.87" long and is available here. Anyone in Australia know of any other elements that fit?
Questions for our Canadian restorers: On the remains of the decal on the cannister it read: "Ford Oil Conditioner" "Made Expressly for Ford Motor Company Canada"
Then it looks like "Pres.....something. Prestolite maybe? Does anyone make decals for Ford Canada Flathead engines?
My original air cleaner servicing decal also says "Made in Canada"
All decals sold by Mac's, Dennis Carpenter, etc, are for US engines and say "Made in USA"
Attached Thumbnails
oil cannister.jpg   comparison.jpg   NOS element.jpg   Fleetguard LF510.jpg   decal-cannister.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 15-11-12, 03:23
VMVC

Default WIX 51001 oil filters in Australia

Since the previous post I found the Australian agents for WIX filters, Engine Australia, and low and behold they have some 51001 filters in stock and at just $10.60 each so I got a couple. Even with domestic air freight from Brisbane they were cheaper than the Fleetguard 510 I had bought locally.

Even though they are listed for 60's GMC trucks, Clark lift, and Graymarine applications I am 99.9% certain it is the right one for this particular oil filter cannister as it is identical diameter and height as my NOS sample on the left in the picture. It is a bypass type filter too.

There is a slight difference in the bottom hole diameter: 0.552" and the top hole diameter: 0.480" and when I had a good look inside the cannister there is a thin collar at the bottom which would account for the two different size holes.

It fits like a glove so between the three new ones I have a few years supply of this consummable.

They can be contacted at: sales@engineaustralia.com.au

Mark Bryers, who I dealt with, was very helpful and said he was also ordering in some 51006 elements which are listed for the Ford sidevalve V8's. They are shorter like the Fleetguard 510's and are a closer fit in the cannister. I believe the later 8BA Ford engines used a more squat cannister than the earlier wartime engines so these may refer to them. They will be coming in in January. Same price as the 51001's.
Hope this is of good use to fellow Australian CMP truck restorers.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4337.jpg   IMG_4338.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 03-09-17, 17:20
MLU Administrator

Here is a NOS filter I bought from LWD parts. Other than the first example I had, this one has slight rust from storage (what to expect after 70 years?) so I'll keep it for show.

This is what was listed on the label:

Wix oil filter element

NA/AG 172
Ford C11Q-18663
G.M. 853472
Chysler 923768

Dimensions are (approx.):
Diameter: 96 mm / 3.8 inch
Height: 133 mm / 5.2 inch

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford oil filter element.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	93642
Old 03-09-17, 17:25
MLU Administrator

Cross reference to the thread Purolator oil filter N-51 .

Apparently this is the "Junior Military Filter".

Old 03-09-17, 17:37

Default Making Decals

Hi Jaques,

RE your decals: if you know what the decal originally looked like, or can get someone on here to provide you with a good digital image, you could use Photoshop/Powerpoint to re-create it and the appropriate printer paper to make what you need as a slide-off transfer.

Stephen White has done it in 1/6th scale for the fire extinguishers on his Centurion tank model. Check out the process he used at:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/vi...bb12&start=885

Mike
Old 04-09-17, 05:06
VMVC

Default Oil Filter Decals

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I do not have any good image of the decal required other wise I would spend a few cold days this spring with Paint.net reproducing it as I did with the switch plate decals last year.

The only thing I have is the photo of the remnants as show in a previous post.

I tried to guess some of the missing wording. "Oil Conditioner" "Made Expressly for Ford Motor Company (of Canada?)" seems OK but after that all I see is "TR---" "PRES---"

Perhaps "Transportation Division" and "By Prestolite" but only an educated guess.

Anyone out there have a photo with the missing words? I could probably do a reasonable repro if I know the exact wording and I can estimate dimensions from the photo fairly accurately. Don't want to spend hours doing a "Chinese" interpretation. There is enough of that junk out there in the market. I won't add to it.

I have seen a couple of American decals for the Oil Conditioner but they are substantially different.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 04-09-17, 08:05
VMVC

Default Ford CMP oil conditioner decal

Further to previous post, I found a couple of interesting photos on line today on Hot Rod Network. Scroll down on the link below.

Of interest is the manufacturer, Kralinator Ltd, and the Canadian origin. The canister also is a different size to the one fitted to my engine, more like the larger diameter ones on 8BA engines.

The decal is similar, however, with the gold coloured background and the lettering style seems the same but it still has a few differences to the remnant on my oil conditioner canister. Anyway it is the first time I have seen a Canadian decal instead of an American one so I am getting closer!

I had another close up look at my photos and the last two letters on the line that starts with "PRES---" are "---IO". Perhaps " Prestolite Ontario?"

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/patin...traight-1940s/

Jacques Reed
Old 04-09-17, 08:17
Graeme Jamieson

Default Currently on Epay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-1940...VW3mLS&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF3363-X3.jpg  
Old 04-09-17, 08:45
VMVC

Default Oil Conditioner decal

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the photo.

Yes, that's the fairly common American type decal that many vintage Ford parts suppliers sell.

As others have pointed out many people, including myself, forgot that Flathead/Sidevalve V8 production shifted to Canada during the war so not everything has "Made in USA" on it.

Anyway, if I get the Canadian info I will make my own decal, otherwise I will leave the canister blank. Not a high priority but would be nice to have the correct decal for a Canadian engine if available.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 01-10-21, 16:43
Mariano Paz

This is the replacement i found here in my contry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20211001-WA0003.jpg   IMG-20211001-WA0005.jpg   IMG-20211001-WA0007.jpg  

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 02-10-21, 23:16
VMVC

Default Ford Flathead/Sidevalve V8- Large oil filter element

Hi Mariano,

Good find. Just looking at the proportions of it I would guess that element is for the longer oil filter housing using two clamps to hold it.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 05-08-22, 04:51
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Update on Engine Australia

I spoke with them a couple of days ago (August 2022) and they told me their entire stock of oil filters was lost in the recent floods and they are getting out of the oil filter business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Since the previous post I found the Australian agents for WIX filters, Engine Australia, and low and behold they have some 51001 filters in stock and at just $10.60 each so I got a couple. Even with domestic air freight from Brisbane they were cheaper than the Fleetguard 510 I had bought locally.

Even though they are listed for 60's GMC trucks, Clark lift, and Graymarine applications I am 99.9% certain it is the right one for this particular oil filter cannister as it is identical diameter and height as my NOS sample on the left in the picture. It is a bypass type filter too.

There is a slight difference in the bottom hole diameter: 0.552" and the top hole diameter: 0.480" and when I had a good look inside the cannister there is a thin collar at the bottom which would account for the two different size holes.

It fits like a glove so between the three new ones I have a few years supply of this consummable.

They can be contacted at: sales@engineaustralia.com.au

Mark Bryers, who I dealt with, was very helpful and said he was also ordering in some 51006 elements which are listed for the Ford sidevalve V8's. They are shorter like the Fleetguard 510's and are a closer fit in the cannister. I believe the later 8BA Ford engines used a more squat cannister than the earlier wartime engines so these may refer to them. They will be coming in in January. Same price as the 51001's.
Hope this is of good use to fellow Australian CMP truck restorers.

Cheers,

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern