MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 29-08-19, 03:43

Default Reg has a Lynx

Yes, Reg has a restored Lynx I, ex-Australia. Don't remember the hull number.

Mike
Old 29-08-19, 03:52
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
All of the armoured vehicles were given their war department numbers by hull manufactures in Canada. This goes for the Universal Carrier, Lynx, Otter, Fox, Sexton, Ram and C15Ta
Agreed. I've seen numbers on carriers and now Lynx, and have no idea if or where they were stamped on Rams and Sextons, but I've never seen them stamped on GM Otters, Fox and C-15TAs. Were they and I'm just not looking in the right place? I know the WD number on my Fox because I recovered it while sandblasting. Should I be looking somewhere else?
Old 30-08-19, 18:36

Rams, Sextons and Grizzlies have a Hull number or Shop number which started with one and progressed through production, though some blocks of numbers were not used.

On a Ram it is stamped into the top centre of the heavy tube that supports the front fenders. On a Sexton it is stamped into the upper rear vertical plate, just above the cranking handle hole. On a Grizzly it is stamped into the outside of the front of the hull casting, centrally directly above the transmission. The stamps are about 1/2" high but sometimes not very deep.

There is a direct relationship between the Shop number and the War Dept. number so one can be worked out from the other if you know the batches.

David
Old 05-07-20, 00:04

Default Lynx1 steering column

I was able to secure the original upper steering column and bracket from Lyle Evans, he and his family are the ones that pulled the Lynx out of the bush and floated it down the lake. With that on and the much improved steering location I'm looking at the bracket to the hull on the lower section and I'm sure it's not original. So my question is what is the proper distance that the bracket hold the lower steering column away from the hull? Mine is currently 2 7/8 inch away?
Attached Images

Old 05-07-20, 21:08

Default Lynx 11 Dimensions

Harry,
The Spare Parts Manual for the Lynx 11 only lists two brackets for the steering gear, 3678 and 3925, which both have the C19SR prefix, which I interpret as being the same as the first marks of the Lynx. The lower steering gear shaft on my Lynx is 3" from the lower glacis plate.

Hope this helps, Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	817.5 KB
ID:	114925 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg
Size:	710.1 KB
ID:	114926 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	114927
Old 06-07-20, 00:41

Default Thank You Peter

so I'm at that dimension right now so all is good on my end.
Old 31-12-20, 20:33

Default Always learning

So I’ve been spending time sorting out all kinds of little things with this communist experience. One of the things that I attended to was getting the speedometer to work and why I broke two cables. Putting my mind to it with the engine in the back the transfer case runs opposite of the direction in a F15a the middle shaft is rotating in the opposite direction. So as the transfer case I have was rebuilt with parts from a 15 cwt the speedometer gear was for the other direction. LWDPARTS has the correct Speedo gear as per the Lynx parts book so I’ll get it sorted out. Of note is that with the driveshafts turning the opposite direction the axles are inverted. Something I never would have thought of and for the guy that found the stripped hull in Italy he needs to be very careful in going about modifying a set of axles from an F15A.
Old 01-01-21, 20:13

Default Lynx Transfer Case Speedo Drives

Hi Harry, the main two different things when you use a C15A ,( C8A ) single speed transfer case to convert to a Lynx is the input shaft is different, and can interchange out. The speedo drive gear that goes on the intermediate shaft is reversed cut in the opposite direction ,( drive gear ) so that has to change out if using a standard transfer case, and yes the driven gear comes in MK1 and MK2 , because of the change in diff ratio's , it is about a tooth difference from memory, also check speedo end turns freely , as this can be a source for braking a shaft cable if it has not been used for a while. I still have those other parts here for you as well, must get organised, Cheers Andrew.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 01-01-21, 20:24

Default Lynx Steering Cast Brackets

The steering bracket 3925 is the large main casting that bolts the steering box to the chassis, at the lower level, and is the same heavy casting for both model Lynx's. The small casting 3678, is the upper one from hull to support outer steering column. This can come in two slightly different castings, just one being slightly more of a heavier casting than the other, they both have the same cast number imprinted in them (C19SR 3678), Cheers Andrew.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart