MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 23-01-13, 21:17
Tony Baker

Tony,

The Ford CMP auction was ended when reserve had not been met. Sounds like the fellow got a better offer from somewhere else.

I hate that ebay allows things to just be pulled by the seller. Stuffs all the bidders around.
Still, what can ya do!
Old 23-01-13, 21:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Tony,

The Ford CMP auction was ended when reserve had not been met. Sounds like the fellow got a better offer from somewhere else.

I hate that ebay allows things to just be pulled by the seller. Stuffs all the bidders around.
Still, what can ya do!
Yes, I agree Tony - once there are bids the auction should be able to conclude unless there's a very good published reason otherwise.

The odd thing I saw was there were 3 bids listed but it was still sitting at the original starting price. Incidentally I wasn't bidding on it!

The cab looks to be a coach built a one off, the doors and roof are different to a PMG conversion.

Possibly one of the most desirable things was the relatively rare 1943 'FORD' stamped front shell (as opposed to no-name or FORD CANADA) and really nice mudguards.

Did someone from MLU manage to buy it?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 27-01-13, 00:30
WO8 C15A 142736

Default Ford Truck

Just found this on EBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1940s-For...item1c2f651f0b
Old 28-01-13, 12:47

Default border raid!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
....once there are bids the auction should be able to conclude unless there's a very good published reason otherwise.....Did someone from MLU manage to buy it?
I spoke to the seller today, apparently someone in NSW made a combined offer for both trucks by phone.

I can understand why sellers accept outside offers and terminate the auction early. To continue the auction is a gamble - you may get a higher price than the phone offer, or you may get a lower price. Sellers must retain the right to decide - it would be unreasonable to compel them to risk a lower price than they've already been offered elsewhere. Yes, it's disappointing for intending bidders, but that's commerce!

I myself would have bid for the F60L - it's in very good nick, and being only 70 km from my place would make for economical recovery. I've learned a lesson here - next time I fancy something on ebay, make a phone offer!

I mentioned to the seller that the Chev is a C8AX and quite a rarity in Australia, but I wasn't sure if they're highly sought after. Can anyone suggest what a fair price might be for this one?

It turns out he will have another couple of Chevs for sale soon, although in much poorer condition. I informed him of MLU forum and that we promulgate For Sale info, so he's going to notify me.
Old 28-01-13, 14:31
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
it would be unreasonable to compel them to risk a lower price than they've already been offered elsewhere.
There is a quite simple mechanism available to the Seller - the Reserve price. There was apparently a price he was not prepared to go below, as the listing already featured a reserve. If bidding has not yet reached that price and a prospective Buyer contacts him with an offer by phone, the seller would have two choices.

1. Accept that offer, withdraw the item from auction, and never know if any other bidders would have been prepared to pay more (the true "Market Value"), or

2. Raise the Reserve to the level offered by the phone caller and, as a show of genuine interest, invite the caller to submit a bid at that price to secure the item at auction. Other interested bidders could then decide the true market value by bidding higher, or allowing the item to sell at the reserve/phone offer price.

This is especially true in situations where the Seller is not accurately aware of the value or rarity of an item. Believe it or not, there are unscrupulous people out there who will try to hoodwink a seller by trying all sorts of ruses to get them to sell an item below market value before bidding heats up.
Old 29-01-13, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Believe it or not, there are unscrupulous people out there who will try to hoodwink a seller by trying all sorts of ruses to get them to sell an item below market value before bidding heats up.
I certainly believe it Tony! However, knowing the price in this case (but not feeling free to divulge here) I can report that it was a reasonable offer for the two trucks, with no attempt made to cheat the seller. I suspect they would have fetched a bit more on ebay, but not dramatically more, and there's always the risk they would have fetched less, even if the phone caller had bid his offer (remember the seller only gets the SECOND HIGHEST bid, plus a small increment).

Note too that the phone offer was for both trucks together, which makes it impossible to set a matching reserve price, because there were two separate auctions. Furthermore, the price offered may have been CONDITIONAL on getting both trucks, ie. to spread the cost of recovery across two purchases. Apparently one truck is destined for the buyer's mate in NSW, so I imagine they'll split the recovery costs.

Anyway I can see why the seller accepted the phone offer - it was a reasonable price, he got rid of both trucks in one transaction, paid for and picked up the next day.
Old 29-01-13, 19:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
(remember the seller only gets the SECOND HIGHEST bid, plus a small increment)
Please explain?

H.
Old 29-01-13, 20:02
Blitzed

Default ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Please explain?
Does not work on an item no one else bids on.
But, if an item is starting at $200 is say bid on twice , and the bids are $250 and $300, and I am the highest bidder, I will only end up paying around $255. The second highest bid and a bit more.
Old 29-01-13, 22:29
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Does not work on an item no one else bids on.
But, if an item is starting at $200 is say bid on twice , and the bids are $250 and $300, and I am the highest bidder, I will only end up paying around $255. The second highest bid and a bit more.
Ah yes, you are referring to putting in a maximum bid, the maximum amount one is willing to pay. The software will automatically outbid other bidders by a small amount up to your maximum bid. But the seller (and other buyers) will not know what your maximum bid is until it is actually reached. So the seller does get the highest bid, and the buyer only needs to outbid other buyers by a small amount. The seller can set his minimum bid by setting a reserve price. All fair enough if you ask me.

H.
Old 30-01-13, 10:51
Tony Baker

Default Here's an interesting situation on ebay

How's this. I bought a pair of flathead v8 engine mounts from a seller in USA. Deal went well and I got the parts, no problems. I actually need another 1 mount (I used one of a set on the rear cross spring on Ford cab), and buy another pair. Yesterday I notice that paypal $$$ sent back, and I contact seller for reason. He says it just happened without him doing it! My, my, how strange. Then says he has since cancelled transaction, and I can re-buy......BUT the catch is that the postage price has now gone up somewhat. No mention of that from the seller, I just see the difference when considering re-buying!?!?!?

When I first contacted asking what happened, he wrote firstly "Hi Tony, I was wondering the same thing. That happened to two orders on the same day, and both order to Australia. Do you want me to cancel the order and we will try again? I have never had that happen before. Go figure? thanks for getting back to me {sellers name here}"

I do NOT ask for cancellation and tell him I will re-send the money via paypal.

Then "Hi Tony, I tried to reinvoice, but it wouldn't let me . I sent a n ebay cancelation on the first sale. please respond to the cancelation notice and and reorder. I don't know of any other way to get around this . Thank you {sellers name here}"

The following is my reply, after I investigated a little first. Hope you enjoy reading it, like I enjoyed writing it:

Hmmmmm, OK. So you did actually cancel the sale.
In reviewing the transaction details I see the reason given by you as "Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind"
We both know that is not the case. I have also noted that the postage costs have mysteriously increased quite a few dollars from the postage advised at time of my purchase. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but here's how it looks from my perspective:

A purchase price and shipping costs are advertised. I buy from that price, and here is where it gets a little odd, mysteriously funds are returned with no contact from seller, and from your previous email you indicate you WERE aware this had happened. You then cancel the transaction, reporting I had changed MY mind, which for all I know may be regarded as a black mark against MY ebay record. I then get in touch asking for answers, and am advised that in addition to funds sent back, transaction now ended. Then I can repurchase, for a higher price ($6.00 more shipping, after agreeing to cancellation of previous transaction, including agreeing to the reason for cancellation as being an error on MY part.

I had purchased an identical item from you a little while ago, and had no problems with the transaction. I even left good, positive feedback for you. This new transaction really gets me interested. Now, I don't know you, and you don't know me, BUT at face value this episode looks for all the world like a scenario where postage costs have either genuinely increased (or not) and there might me an opportunity to get those extra bucks by terminating the earlier transaction, in favor of a 'new' purchase where the added costs exist. I see now the cancelled item has the greater postage price on the listing. Someone who wouldn't know what they were doing might not notice this. I did. As I said, I don't know you, apart from what I see happening here. The original postage cost is on my paypal record and the previous purchase. Your thoughts on how this looks???

Anybody else have an experience like this before? I have!
Old 30-01-13, 11:45
Blitzed

I haven't faced that situation before Tony, but I don't buy a lot of things from overseas. I'm interested to read his reply when you get one...hopefully.
Ryan
Old 02-02-13, 15:18

Quote:
Ah yes, you are referring to putting in a maximum bid, the maximum amount one is willing to pay.
Yes, the seller only gets what the SECOND HIGHEST bidder is willing to pay (plus an insignificant increment). As opposed to a normal auction (house auction, disposal auction, clearing sale, etc.) where the seller gets what the HIGHEST bidder is willing to pay. There's often a big difference on ebay - I'm sure we've all bought items for considerably less than our maximum bid.

Obviously when someone makes an phone offer he'll have to pay what he offers, but the fact remains he's at a huge advantage over ebay bidders, because he's the only one conveying his maximum bid to the seller. In practice the seller has no idea what ebay bidders are willing to pay until the final few minutes/seconds of the auction. The strong temptation therefore is to accept the phone offer - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

As Tony says, the seller has the option to increase his reserve price to match the phone offer, and invite the person to make a genuine bid. In this case that wasn't possible, because it was a combined offer for two auctions - and possibly even conditional on getting both vehicles. However, even in the case of a single auction, there's always the risk the person may not bid his phone offer - he may "cool off", or get run over by a bus. In that event the new reserve price may not be reached and the seller will be forced to relist the item and risk a lower price. As I said earlier, it would be unreasonable to compel sellers to risk a lower price than they've already been offered.

Hence it's entirely acceptable for sellers to terminate auctions early - indeed it's often stated that the item is advertised elsewhere and the seller reserves the right to withdraw from auction.

What's NOT acceptable however is the deliberate subversion of ebay auctions by phone bidding. Phone numbers are provided for further information, not as an invitation to make phone bids. Such bids not only usurp genuine bidders, they also put the seller in an invidious position. Therefore it behoves anyone seeking information by phone to REFRAIN from making phone bids. The fact that in this case it was a combined bid for two auctions is no excuse whatsoever.

In the interests of stamping out the practice of phone bidding I'm happy to name and shame the individual concerned - one [name deleted]. I'm led to believe he's a member of the MV community, which makes it even more galling. If anyone here knows this character they might like to inform him of our displeasure at being backdoored in this fashion.

In addition, since it was the actions of [name deleted] which deprived us of knowledge of the sale price of these two vehicles, I feel free to divulge it here - [price deleted] for the pair. You can make up your own mind about that.

Others here may not share my indignation in this instance, however I make no apology for my comments. The practice of phone bidding is potentially contagious, and it's hardly conducive to good relations within the MV community.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 02-02-13 at 23:22. Reason: edited to delete name and price
Old 02-02-13, 23:20
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Yes, the seller only gets what the SECOND HIGHEST bidder is willing to pay (plus an insignificant increment). As opposed to a normal auction (house auction, disposal auction, clearing sale, etc.) where the seller gets what the HIGHEST bidder is willing to pay. There's often a big difference on ebay - I'm sure we've all bought items for considerably less than our maximum bid.

Obviously when someone makes an phone offer he'll have to pay what he offers, but the fact remains he's at a huge advantage over ebay bidders, because he's the only one conveying his maximum bid to the seller. In practice the seller has no idea what ebay bidders are willing to pay until the final few minutes/seconds of the auction. The strong temptation therefore is to accept the phone offer - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Tony,

I am not sure what your point is? Ebay's maximum bid is like setting a (mental) threshold for oneself. In a real live auction I think one sets his/her maximum and bids in the auctions increments, and not by bidding the maxumum amount one is willing to pay? If you are willing to pay say $1,000 for an item, and bidding starts at 250 going up 50 at each bid, you are not standing up and shout "$1,000!" when the bidding halts at $750?

As for phone bids: as you say, a seller on ebay is entitled to withdraw before the end of the sale. So it is not a phone bid during a real live auction, but simply a seller withdrawing his item from the auction. Because he has second thoughts, or because he has sold it via another channel.

Quote:
In the interests of stamping out the practice of phone bidding I'm happy to name and shame the individual concerned
I don't think it is up to you to name and shame an individual because you think the practice is wrong - at least not on this forum. I have therefore edited your original posting deleting the name and price. E-mail me if you wish to discuss this further. Thank you.

Regards,
Hanno
MLU Administrator & Moderator
Old 03-02-13, 03:40

Quote:
I am not sure what your point is?
My point in all this is to defend sellers who withdraw from auction upon receiving an offer, in response to a few comments which were critical of the practice. I was pointing out the risk involved in allowing the auction to continue, owing to the unique bidding system employed on ebay. Namely as I said: "there's always the risk they would have fetched less, even if the phone caller had bid his offer." That's obviously NOT the case at a normal auction.

Note that I'm not being critical of ebay's bidding system - I'm merely pointing out the unique difficulty it presents for sellers when an offer is made. For the offer to be matched on ebay, he needs TWO bidders willing to pay that price.

The solution of course is to raise the reserve price, as Tony said, but in this particular case that wasn't possible, and even in the general case, such a strategy puts the sale in jeopardy, since there's no guarantee the offer will materialize as a bid.
Old 03-02-13, 04:00

Quote:
I don't think it is up to you to name and shame an individual because you think the practice is wrong - at least not on this forum. I have therefore edited your original posting deleting the name and price. E-mail me if you wish to discuss this further. Thank you.
Regards,
Hanno
MLU Administrator & Moderator
That's fine Hanno, I certainly don't want to misuse the forum. Presumably anyone interested can PM me....?

I'm interested to know if it's just me who thinks phone bidding for ebay items is wrong. If it's acceptable practice I shall definitely take advantage in future. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 03-02-13, 11:47
Tony Baker

Default Ebay stunts!

To be honest, it quite shits me, the old "advertised elsewhere and may be withdrawn at any time" ploy. Once bids taken, I feel the seller should live up to the commitment of auction selling. If no bids, sure, remove it whenever you like.

If they effectively change their mind about honoring the auction, why can't I say "changed my mind, don't want it now"? That's not acceptable, but sellers cancelling bids & auctions is OK? Not with me it isn't!
Old 03-02-13, 13:47

Quote:
To be honest, it quite shits me, the old "advertised elsewhere and may be withdrawn at any time" ploy.
Obviously in these cases there can be no objection to making phone offers, since the seller is actually informing bidders that he's open to offers. I agree of course that it's extremely annoying - life would be much easier if sellers confined themselves to one mode of selling at a time!

I guess it begs the question - does the absence of this caveat mean the seller is NOT open to offers? Obviously not, as we've just seen with the F60L and C8AX auctions. So perhaps my criticism of phone bidding is unreasonable - or at the very least naive. Perhaps I should operate on the assumption that ALL sellers are potentially open to offers, and adopt the view that if someone is prepared to make their maximum bid known to the seller, he's entitled to the advantage that affords him over ebay bidders.

I shall wrestle further with this pressing moral question!
Old 03-02-13, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
The odd thing I saw was there were 3 bids listed but it was still sitting at the original starting price.
That's because they were all the same bidder Keith, presumably probing for the reserve price. But he didn't meet it, and there was no one else to push his bid up, so it remained at the starting price. In the absence of any competing bidders the system will only increase your bid to actually MEET the reserve price, not to approach it gradually:

How automatic bidding works.

eBay places bids on your behalf starting with the next bid increment for the auction. We'll bid as much as necessary to make sure that you remain the high bidder (or to meet the reserve price).

A bid increment will go higher than the standard increment in two situations:
To meet the reserve amount
To beat a competing bidder's high bid

I notice the same bidder (u***3) submitted a bid for the C8AX, so presumably it was the guy who ultimately bought them.
Old 05-02-13, 07:42

Default US6 for sale

Studebaker US6 in this listing, don't know if it's still available:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261155390...84.m1438.l2648
Old 05-02-13, 07:48

Default US6 for sale

I emailed the seller, turns out it's still available. Here are contact details if anyone's interested (I'm not interested myself BTW):

Dear Tony - It is still available. If you like I can send more photos.
Regards, Ric.

Ric Petro
Managing Director
Location Film Services
02 9654 9922
0488 1951 51
www.locationfilmservices.com.au
Old 11-02-13, 10:54
Tony Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton View Post
Some parts for sale on ebay.
Smithers.............release the hounds!
Old 12-02-13, 05:59

late production F15A for sale in SA:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-ARMY...item1e773e8e1b
Old 12-02-13, 10:03
Tony Baker

Quote:
late production F15A for sale in SA:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-ARMY...item1e773e8e1b
Not correct windscreens. Are they possibly a set from Cab 12?
Old 12-02-13, 11:26
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Windscreens

Quote:
Not correct windscreens. Are they possibly a set from Cab 12?

Nope, just back to front.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 21-02-13, 09:56
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Default Cancerous

Quote:
Ford Blitz SWB for sale on ebay. Looks to be in reasonable condition.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1940s-For...item4170f05bd0
Looks to be a sunshine cab that's been closed over.
Bad case of tin worm!
H
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 21-02-13, 10:02
Tony Baker

Default One for the flathead v8 tuners

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-MILE...item1c3041bb06

Seller has two for sale.
Old 21-02-13, 10:35
Tony Baker

Default Rear brake lining set - Ford Truck

Could these possibly be Ford CMP brake linings?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-N...item4d09285444
Old 21-02-13, 11:09

Quote:
He also has a 46 Ford sedan for sale which to my untrained eye looks like ex-Army....?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-1946...item460cf67743
Old 22-02-13, 02:32
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Could these possibly be Ford CMP brake linings?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-N...item4d09285444
They certainly are CMP (15cwt), but they are not in Australia. Customs no longer allows imports of brake or clutch material containing asbestos. Best off to refer these to the Canadians!
Old 22-02-13, 19:57
Film maker, CMP addict

Default F60l

Quote:
A Derrick, nice to see a genuine specialist vehicle surviving. Hope it goes to a good home rather than the scrap pies!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb