MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 30-06-08, 20:43

Default Jebel Sherif - Clash of the Special Forces

CALL FOR INFORMATION:

To complete the research for our new book, we are still looking for further information:

Who knows about any unpublished historical photographs, reports or whatever about the "Incident at Jebel Sherif", the clash between the LRDG, T.Patrol and the SAHARIANA DI CUFRA on 31st. January 1941 after the LRDGs successful raid on Murzuk is kindly requested to contact me. We have found a lot already... but who knows what is still "out there"!

In particular we could need photos of

Caproni Ca.309 "Ghibli"
"Compagnia Autosahariana di Cufra"
Any Italian account about the incident.
A clear scan of the article in the "Popolo d' Italia" (Oct. 1941) about "il Geologo Klayton"

Many thanks; Kuno / Brendan / Roberto

Last edited by Kuno; 29-09-08 at 11:56. Reason: Update
Old 30-06-08, 20:55
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno View Post
CALL FOR INFORMATION:

To complete the research for our new book, we are still looking for further information:

Who knows about any unpublished historical photographs, reports or whatever about the "Incident at Jebel Sherif", the clash between the LRDG, T.Patrol and the SAHARIANA DI CUFRA on 31st. January 1941 after the LRDGs successful raid on Murzuk is kindly requested to contact me. We have found a lot already... but who knows what is still "out there"!

In particular we could need photos of

Caproni Ca.309 "Ghibli"
"Compagnia Autosahariana di Cufra"
Any Italian account about the incident.
A clear scan of the article in the "Popolo d' Italia" (Oct. 1941) about "il Geologo Klayton"

Many thanks; Kuno / Brendan / Roberto
Is this site any help..??

http://www.fjexpeditions.com/frameset/news.htm
Old 30-06-08, 21:02

Hi Alex; your link brings one to one of my favourite sites! Actually we have collected whatever was published about this clash and got even some private information which was not yet available in a book. The "weak point" is the Italian side...

...still full of hope

-----

Just a link to give some impression:

http://www.afrika-korps.co.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=4900
Old 30-06-08, 21:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Next..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno View Post
Hi Alex; your link brings one to one of my favourite sites! Actually we have collected whatever was published about this clash and got even some private information which was not yet available in a book. The "weak point" is the Italian side...

...still full of hope

-----

Just a link to give some impression:

http://www.afrika-korps.co.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=4900
My next trick is ...

http://www.geocities.com/firefly1002000/dakindx.html

Contact George Bradford...
If there is anyone that knows anything about it in the whole world ,Including Australia..It's George..Or he will know whare to find the info you seek..Hell of a guy too..
contact George..Tell him I sent you..say something nice about the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team and he'll be your friend for ever..
Old 30-06-08, 21:19

Will do so!
Old 12-07-08, 09:54

Please use info at jebelsherif dot org
Old 13-07-08, 08:56

Default Jebel sherif

You need to contact Brendon O'Carroll who has just been to a lybian site of a contact between LRDG and others, a TV doco is being made about it. Send me a private message and I will give you his e mail

Rookie
Old 13-07-08, 09:05

Hi Rookie; Brendan is "in the Boat" (better "in the Truck") since the beginning of the project. Without his contribution we could not be that far as we are now. And we were exactly at this place now in May.
Old 17-07-08, 23:53

Thanks to exhaustive search in Italy Roberto and his colleagues were able to find two of the rare survivors of the trucks used by the Italians; the famous AS.37 and even a FIAT 634.N. Very good - we will add these photos to the book so that the reader can use them as a reference.

But now we have a problem:

The "British Desertraiders" have two trucks in their park which would be of interest for us: A Chevrolet WB "Te Hai" and the FORD V8 "Te Rangi". The originals of both the trucks were involved in the clash at Jebel Sherif. You may presume it already - it would be a pitty to only have the pictures of the Italian trucks in the book...

No problem - the truck were shown on several exhibitions and we were offered many pictures of them already.

We have refused them. The owners of these truck have spent... I do not know how much time, sweat and money to have this masterpieces available. We would only present them in our book, if the Owners would provide the pictures. So far Peter Sanders gave his ok (but could not send the hi-resolution pics yet) but for David Knudsen I have no address...

Who could help?

---------

People restoring cars know that their hobby eats plenty of time and hobby - it is the same, if you want to publish a book! Please understand, that we are not in the position to really pay for the photos. But I promise that the owners would be properly mentioned in the captions, the website would be in the appendix and that I would provide all hi-resolution photographs of the wrecked trucks at Jebel Sherif and the printed book in exchange (I took particular care of photos for small technical details).

-----------

Then I got this reply:

I am sure these guys will be at "The War & Peace Show" which is on this weekend in Paddock Wood, Kent, it is the main event for re-enactors and military ehicle enthusiasts.. but sadly I wont be going, maybe you can find someone who is that can find them at the show?

http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

cheers
Bob

.......................anybody going there and giving them my e'mail: info@jebelsherif.org ?
Old 22-07-08, 08:19

Ok; contact is made. Thanks for help!
Old 29-09-08, 09:23

...Colleagues; we made a very good progress with our book, it will be available in early 2009. The new website shall introduce it already now:

www.jebelsherif.org
Old 09-04-09, 09:34

Don't know who may have access to the NZ TV:

The TV documentary about "the Incident at Jebel Sherif" will be transmitted on Anzac Day (25th April) at 1pm on TVONE.

...and the book is planned to be available from July.
Old 06-06-09, 11:02

Colleagues; the job is done now and the book printed. Am very happy with the result and many thanks to those again who gave us their assistance!

Thanks as well to Geoff to give me permission to advertise the book here in this forum. That's a great oportunity for me.
Old 11-06-09, 09:40

G'day All, Kuno, I tried to send an email to the email address supplied but it came back as failure to deliver?? cheers Dennis
Old 11-06-09, 10:48

Have sent a test-message from my private account and received it. Maybe a temporary disturbance...

Sent you a PM as well. Please check out and try again.

Many thanks.