MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-03, 09:46

Default truck heaters rear body c30 wire

HELLO ALL
Does anybody have the heater for our chev c30 radio truck
if not rolf will be basking in glorious heat this winter and we will be freezing to death in ours just have to stay indoors i supose vic uk
Old 08-09-03, 12:16
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default " freezing to death ".....

"in the UK"...????
Jeez Vic..
When the wheel studs start snapping off sitting in the parking lot from the cold and the mercury in the thermometer freezes..both events which happen in Canada....Then you start the heater....
That is why that heater is part of the "Arctic" package....
I suppose that it would be useful to scoff up a pail of char...
Maybe Snowtractor could confirm.....
Old 08-09-03, 22:02

Default 1500 watt space heater

I've used my C60S with radio box as a field office through a number of winters here in New Hampshire. Used a electric space heater 1500watt on high with a theromatic control it would do a good job of keeping inside of the box at 70 F even when the outside air was -20 F even with the wind blowing.

Cheers

Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-09-03, 22:15

Default Heater

Hi Dad,

All the trucks and parts we have and you want the heater!
Old 09-09-03, 09:05

Default COLD

HELLO ALEX
OH! That sounds cold but i am getting older and will need to keep warm i have a mate in ALBERTA and he tells me of these horror stories in the cold he works for fording coal on heavy equip
and says they cover things with a parashute and use a space heater to make it rise and so to work i think if my wheel studs
snapped off i would die there on the spot these trucks are very dear to me and it would be a terrible emosional shock to have that happen how do you get anything done in such temp .i have a video about the ALASKA HIGHWAY and there are old trucks just by the roadside ONE CHAP HAD RESCUED a chev by dragging it 40 miles through the snow to the road i though then hell that looks cold there . but they have all probably got C30 heaters that should have gone to ENGLAND VIC UK
Old 09-09-03, 09:13

Default DEATH IN COMFORT

HI MARTIN
Look son ill probably pass on in one of these trucks and im not going to die in the freezeing cold not even for you my son
your ever loving PA!
Old 10-09-03, 21:59

Default space heaters

HELLO PHIL
So you have the big one not sure if we are talking about the same type of space heater but my expierance of those in a factory envirement seemed to give us all sore throats i wonder what the petrol heater air was like i can imagine it being pretty dry dont see any c60 radio trucks here at least i have never seen one were they equiped with any type of heater? vic uk
Old 11-09-03, 21:54

Default Never to dry

Hi Vic

Never noticed a problem with it being to dry but then again with the snow that always seemed to be coming in on my boots it kept it humidfied.

The little electric heater I have is sometimes called a milkhouse heater. About 16" tall by 10" wide by 6" deep with a small fan.

I can remember similar units on my uncle's farm in the early fifties up at his place near Lake Champlain as the saying goes there was nothing between there and the Canadian Boarder but a three wire fence and two of the wires were broken.
`45 HUP
Old 11-09-03, 22:38

Default heaters

HELLO PHILL
Sounds a nice compact heater the ones i was thinking off
were like small jet engines running on parafine not sure what you call that over there the wide open spaces of AMERICA and CANADA have always fasinated me sometimes wish i could ride a horse out on the range i have managed to teach myself to rope
of sorts i sent to texas for a rope believe it or not and found it very hard to throw generaly try to rope beer cans at rallys gives
us something to do when no one turns up . vic uk
Old 23-09-03, 09:30

Here is a pic of heater

here is another pic of heater

Hope you enjoy these pictures rolf they show the heater on both
and they look not to be the same one looks as though its partly away from the body at the bottom what do you think
REGARDS VIC UK
Attached Thumbnails
wireless2.jpg   ambulance3.jpg  
Old 24-09-03, 23:51

Default Sure

I like those pics....

It looks as they are the same type, but the one on the ambulance is a bit longer to reach over the roof on the body. And yes they look as they are a bit of at the bottom. But don't think they are.
Have not measurred the heater for you yet, been to bussy, but will do so one day.
Do you see the filler neck for the small extra tank?
Have one of them, but think they are hard to get..

Rolf
Old 25-09-03, 17:12

Default Notice the Artic Priming Tank

On the first truck you can see the filler neck for the priming tank for cold weather starts.
`45 HUP
Old 26-09-03, 09:11

Default cold start

HELLO PHIL
Yes you also see the top of the dole primer tank for cold start its not clear enough in the comp pic but you can also see the top of the heater fuel tank bolted to the near side of the body at the top regarding the cold start i have fitted that system
to my C15 as we were lucky enough to find the three jets that screw into the exhaust manifold just had to rig up the pipe work it works well saving my battery when its stood for sometime although it never seems to start on all cylinders but soon picks up i dont know if you have seen these jets they are brass and have a spirar center that atomizes the fuel when the pump is pushed in hard i had to fit and make a small fuel tank to fit under the floor as the C15 lacks the space.
REGARDS VIC EATON
Old 25-02-04, 11:52

Have a look at my home made heat exchanger for c30 radio truck

HELLO ALL
The heat exchanger shown is gas fired and is minas the outer shroud which i still have to make the second fan is mounted inside the radio body and returns the air from the body to the bottom fan for recirculation passing the hot chimmney not shown in the pictures. it seems to work very well. vic eaton. uk.
Attached Thumbnails
p2130003.jpg   p2130004.jpg   p2130005.jpg   p2130006.jpg   p2130007.jpg  

Old 25-02-04, 12:49
former Resident Historian

Default S/M numbers

L 5348450 to 5348456 Contract SM 2752 LORRY 30 CWT. 4 X 4 SLAVE BATTERY AS AT 1 OCTOBER 1942: 1 UNIT PRODUCED! That's an IWM PHOTO KID 1969 [L 5348450]

A5827392 to 5827592 Contract SM 6063 [6093?] Ambulance Office Type 4 stretcher Articised Cat 235 C298QF C60L
..now that truck in the photo is in IWM photo KID 1724 but by pure coincidence and amazign luck I have a photo of that truck, yes that one, on the line at LEP Transport Limited in Goole, England, and it will be in the April issue of HERITAGE COMMERCIALS magazine.

Vic...you have the original shot...what's the CONTRACT NUMBER on the blackboard please? Kidbrooke seems to have used the same little kiddie's board for their official shots!
Old 25-02-04, 13:09
former Resident Historian

Default C60L ambulance photo

This is the Chevrolet C60L equivalent of the later Ford...a late 1942 order

A 4999946 to 4999979 Contract SM 2574 AMBULANCE 3 TON 4 X 4 AS AT 1 OCTOBER 1942: 32 UNITS PRODUCED, ARTICIZED

Old 25-02-04, 20:58

Default contract number

HI THERE DAVID
THE little board in the front reads
4+4 ford s/m 6063 Hope that helps . yes they are museum
photos i have a few that someone gave me ill get them put on here at some point in time. theres a good one of a ford with the drivers wheel blown off by a land mine and it clearly shows the fixings for the side awnings etc .
Old 25-02-04, 21:09

Default tyres ambulance

HI THERE AGAIN DAVID
Ijust noticed the front tyres that seem to be fitted the wrong way round although i think they did some tests and found there wasnt a lot of differance in grip fitting them that way round
ill look out for that magazine although i have not heard of it before vic .
Old 25-02-04, 21:22

Default hello Vic

that heater looks just great, and I guess it will work a lot better than the original I have. I guess I will never dear to light it....

Rolf
Old 25-02-04, 22:14

Default heaters

HI THERE ROLF
Good to here from you you will light it if you get cold enough
yes so fat im pleased with what i have managed to create the worst bit is to come i fear getting the metal around the frame to cover it all inand trap the heat from the chimmny then comes the mounting on the truck the holes are all there . the top of the heater is a stainless steel dish i got from the school kitchen when no one was looking the burner sits on the bottom of a fire bucketi cut down the funnel is from my tractor to take the fumes away the tubing is from an old water heater and has a spiral inside it to direct heat to the chimmny sides for the second fan the copper tubes are just 15mm standard water pipe so its all a mismatch of bits and pieces that were free . even the springs i got from an old washing machine the top and bottom half inch thick steel plates were the ends of dumbells found in the school . i altered a little
vic uk .
Old 26-02-04, 12:09

Default Re: heat exchange1

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Eaton
Have a look at my home made heat exchanger for c30 radio truck
Hi Vic...\
If I turn this pix 90 deg(See hanging roll wire to indicate "Down") I see that the unit fires Up..through your marvelous heat exchanger,terminating at the end of the spiral pipe vent with the vent cap....which is "Inside" the occupied space...
Well done...the problem that I see is ...
1....When you light it and run it ...stand out side so you don't asphixiate your self...making an "Inside" heater rather unnecessary if you are lying on the floor from carbon monoxide poisoning..
2...Your heat exchanger will remove the heat from your flue gases OK but that is a no no..
The flu gases must be hot to rise and "Condense " outside the flu pipe..
THis is the reason for the engineering on stacks and flus..
Flue gas temperatures,flu diameter and length and height to name a few..
Once flu gas condenses ,in your case,inside the stack,they are very acidic and will eat up your stack,run back down and eat right through rhe burner and the floor of the what ever you have it mounted in..
And this will happen quickly ..
From the monent you light it abnd stary your hx blower..
Try it and check the condensation running down the inside of the flu..
Taste it ..
But the workmanship is excellent..
Just don't run it..
Old 26-02-04, 17:05

Default HEAT EXCHENGER

HELLO ALEX
OH! my god you have got me worried now . should have spoken to you first i had not thought about condensation at all
the gas fumes pass through the copper tubes and out to the open air at the top they cant get back into the chamber as it is sealed the only thing that should be able to pass around the chimmny is the warm air from the rear body at the top the copper tubes pass straight through the plate but at the bottom they are counter bored sso the tubes dont come into contact with the flame from the burner . but im going to take seriously what you say dont worry id rather be cold than dead ill test it out using a box as the vehicle body underneath the burner is a three inch hole for air so the gas fumes rise. but tonight i will look carefully at what you say many thanks vic .
Old 26-02-04, 19:49

Default Heating...

Hi Vic...
Glad to help..
Being a licenced gas fitter and Refrigeration mechanic since 1967 ,gas heating is a speciality with me..
The condensating flue gasses are very acidic and are especially hard on copper tubing..Will eat it up in no time..
Possibly a heavy flat steel plate welded over the burner with a free flowin flue to out side will radiate more heat and allow you to have a place for the tea kettle for that all important cuppa char..
Cheers
Alex
Old 26-02-04, 22:31

Default HEATERS

HI ALEX
Well things are not looking good are they. thats for sure.and i thought i was going to be as warm as rolf next year ill finish it now its started and see what happens and keep you informed. being a french polisher my knowledge of gas is almost nill as i expect you had realised it will be interesting to see it all melt down just dont tell rolf. i have tried it just to heat the aluminum
plates but without the chimmny ect so will try it connected and watch. for the dreaded condensation. many thanks for the advice
and will keep you informed. vic uk.
Old 26-02-04, 23:16

Default Homework....

Vic
Here is some info on condending gas heat exchangers..
Good Luck...
http://www.chxheat.com/chx.html
http://www.chxheat.com/overview.html
Any thoughts of a fan assist exhaust ..just remember to SUCK the flue gasses through the heat exchanger ..THat will keep an negative pressure on the hx ...Imperative to keep neg press on hx..A positive press would force CO and CO2 out of HX into occupied heated space...Not good...
Tits up...
Keep us informed..
Alex