Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-02-21, 09:37

Default 1944 Canadian Army Emergency Ration

With a twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTi_MSO9trM
Old 07-02-21, 13:31

Default Ration Video

I am going to state outright that this Youtube presentation is completely devoid of any facts and is a prime example of a host who only draws his information from the internet. Not only is this person destroying an artifact and then foolishly consuming it, but he bathers on spewing 14 minutes of fabricated commentary on something he has no idea about what he is talking about.

There are some good Youtube hosts out there who actually conduct research beyond looking into the internet before posting a video, this person is not one of them.

The internet is a great place to exchange information but the medium feeds upon itself and it is videos like this which misinform their audiences.
Old 07-02-21, 15:07

Default Ed...

Don't be too harsh. I have had several of these and always wondered what was in them. That is no longer a concern.

I would worry about botulism more if it was the boxed ration pack from 44. I opened one of them to display it and found tins that had expanded to tennis ball size. Fortunately the labels slipped off and fit the current unmarked meat spread tins.

Peter S
Old 07-02-21, 15:21

Hi Ed, I agree with you about the destruction of an artifact, and the irresponsible ,potentially fatal consumption of the contents.

The can looked to be honestly marked
The contents seemed to be an interesting choice for an emergency ration

I would have thought it was part of a survival kit of some sort. Was it, I don’t know?

Any factual knowledge regarding Second World War Canadian Rations would be very interesting.
Old 07-02-21, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter simundson View Post
Don't be too harsh. I have had several of these and always wondered what was in them. That is no longer a concern.

I would worry about botulism more if it was the boxed ration pack from 44. I opened one of them to display it and found tins that had expanded to tennis ball size. Fortunately the labels slipped off and fit the current unmarked meat spread tins.

Peter S
Peter do you recall the contents of the boxed ration, to be specific, what is/ was written on the labels?

Last edited by Grant McCullough; 07-02-21 at 16:39.
Old 07-02-21, 16:41

Default Youtube Videos

I was not harsh and actually quite restrained considering the content of the video was rubbish. As I said before, the internet feeds on itself this is reflected in the bogus content that fills most of these Youtube militaria presentations.

Last edited by Ed Storey; 07-02-21 at 17:26. Reason: Missing word