MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-03, 23:41
GM Fox I

Default Spring steel

How does one work with and form spring steel?
Old 10-03-03, 02:36
RIP

Bruce; You may have to anneal the item until it is soft enough to machine --the real problem is to retemper.You can of course grind it or cut it with a suitable grinding disc. If you could let me know what you wish to make perhaps I might have an idea-- by the way did you bring this weather down from the north-- regards --Greg
Old 11-03-03, 02:19
GM Fox I

Greg, these are 1" by 22 gauge strips with various bends and curves used to keep ammunition boxes from falling out of their bins. Can send you originals or drawings for your opinion?
Old 11-03-03, 02:47
T-16, C15A

Default Completly Unrelated Fox Resto Question

Bruce,

I was in to see my pal the fabricator on Sunday, and I was very happily surprised to see that he had just done a masterful job making a pair of large steel hoppers.

Big steel hoppers have very little to do with Fox armoured cars, except for the turret rings. I asked him how these 4 foot diameter rings were manufactured and he said that the steel service guys make any size you want.

I had always thought that these would be cut from a big sheet of thick steel - not the case. The steel service centres roll the steel "the hard way" = on edge. Except for a 4" flat section where the roller grabs the steel, they can roll just about any diameter. Best of all, they just need to know the diameter, and they do all of the thinkifying to make it come out right.

If you have some sketches with dimensions, I will be pleased to get them in for a quote.

I will be in Maryland until Friday, and will be in to see the fab guy again on Sunday. Let me know if this is of use to your efforts with that Fox.

Stewart
Still Icy in Beachville
Old 11-03-03, 04:05
In Vino Veritas

Default Stewart's fab fabricators

Stewart , could you ask your chums if they do louvers in 16 gauge sheet and if not do they know anybody, ie hot rodders etc.
Sean
Old 11-03-03, 06:04
Graeme Jamieson

Lightbulb tenpering spring steel

Thinking back to my metallurgy classes I remember spring steel requires triple tempering to stop it fom breaking in service. To do this just polish your components to a shine then bring to a deep straw colour with the gas axe and oil quench immediately. This needs to be repeated 3 times in total. Make sure you dont shinge your whiskers when you plunge it into the oil
Old 11-03-03, 16:25
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Stewart's fab fabricators

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
Stewart , could you ask your chums if they do louvers in 16 gauge sheet and if not do they know anybody, ie hot rodders etc.
Sean
Sean,

Sadly, although I have looked high and low, there is no one that does louvers or strengthening ribs in sheet metal around these parts.

I would love to have the correct looking tops to my sheet metal bins and sand covers on my Carrier - but it is a lost art.

The closest that I got was a body man who made the 'bumps' out of bondo - it looked convincing from 20 feet away, but with my driving skills, I doubt it would have lasted long on my machine.

Stewart
Beachville
Old 12-03-03, 02:14
RIP

Default spring steel

Bruce;--Consider using the steel strapping which is used to bind loads for shipping.It is available in 1 inch width & approx. 22 guage.It can be sheared, drilled and bent and still stay springy.If you can use it and can't find it I have a local industry which can supply used stuff gratis if you will let me know a.s.a.p.--Greg
Old 12-03-03, 06:20
GM Fox I

Default That may do

If I can bend it to the right shape, it will do. There won't be a lot of use and I have one or two originals anyway. Anything close to about 24 feet of it?