MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 13-10-23, 16:19

Question GGHG M5A1 late photo

Found this image from a facebook group and someone identified it as belonging to GGHG. A period document seems to confirm the WD number but don't see how the connection was made? Also what exactly does this document signify, is it delivery of Stuarts, their return, or an inventory count - does it date the photo somehow?

Concerning the photo itself, can anyone identify the following:

1.) - metal can on the front hull
2.) - wooden box on the fender
3.) - scribbling on the hull side between the WD number and nickname RACY
4.) - still with the hull side, any clues to the marking cut off by the left edge of the photo
5.) - finally, what is happening with the tones around the lower front hull tow clamps - wiped clean or maybe lubricated with oil?
Attached Thumbnails
GGHG  T 287669.jpg   323692026_920705432643225_8694413160336221492_n.jpg  

Last edited by Jack Geratic; 13-10-23 at 19:08.
Old 13-10-23, 21:34

Default Gghg m5a1

The wooden box is a compo ration crate.
Old 13-10-23, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
The wooden box is a compo ration crate.
Hello ED, that is right on. A quick google and found the dimensions:
Attached Thumbnails
1959f620ab89c999b81f91c0cac7d171.jpg  
Old 14-10-23, 02:39
Terry Warner

Default WW2 British flat green paint formula

I was on a FB group for Lee Enfield collectors, and one chap asked about paint formulas for No.15 sniper rifle chests. I doubt one-time use ration boxes were painted, but the conversation makes me want to ask here for guidance. What combinations of red, green, blue would have been typical for wooden chests?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 14-10-23, 03:38

Default A bit of this and a few drops of that and lots of luck....

I would strongly suggest a quart of the oil based OD green in semi gloss and make sure to properly lightly sand all the existing surfaces.......... other wise what color you get while wet in the can is not exactly what it will look like when dry....
Canada
Old 14-10-23, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Geratic View Post
Found this image from a facebook group and someone identified it as belonging to GGHG. A period document seems to confirm the WD number but don't see how the connection was made? Also what exactly does this document signify, is it delivery of Stuarts, their return, or an inventory count - does it date the photo somehow?

Concerning the photo itself, can anyone identify the following:

1.) - metal can on the front hull
2.) - wooden box on the fender
3.) - scribbling on the hull side between the WD number and nickname RACY
4.) - still with the hull side, any clues to the marking cut off by the left edge of the photo
5.) - finally, what is happening with the tones around the lower front hull tow clamps - wiped clean or maybe lubricated with oil?
Originally I had this down as belonging to Royal Canadian Dragoons via this photo (121729) from the beeldbank archive.

https://beeldbankwo2.nl/nl/beelden/d...&rows=1&page=1

But as it is described as a Sherman I will now go with GGHG.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 14-10-23, 18:09

Thank you Kevin, odd caption from that Dutch site. The Stuart has a 45 AoS marking, while the Dragoons would of had 44 with a white bar over the top.

Anyhow have looked into the diaries of GGHG and I think it safe to say the photo is prior to cessation of the war in Europe. The document issued by the delivery regiment dated July 7 1945 is after GGHG had turned its vehicles.

Evidence from the regimental diaries has this timeline:

May 22/23 1945 - tanks are cleaned and shined up for an inspection by General Crerar

May 24th - crews begin preparing tanks to be turned in

June 2nd - vehicles continue to be stripped cleaned inside and out with all guns placed in a state of preservation

June 14th - RAP carriers and half-tracks turned in

June 23rd - twenty 75mm Shermans depart to Div Finito Park located at HAREN airport

July 2nd - 40 tanks depart for Finito Park

July 3rd - balance of remaining tanks leave for Finito Park

July 5th - the Maroon Machine officially learn they will remain in Holland till next Easter due to shipping availability

https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...eel_t12646/588

https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...eel_t12646/968

https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...eel_t12647/531
Old 15-10-23, 22:13
Centurion nut

I don't think the document in your opening post has anything to do with the GGHG. It shows the u/m tanks being transferred from a Canadian delivery squadron to a British one. The only mention of the GGHG was to explain from where these tanks originated, and the dates on the disposal list show that it was after the regiment had already disposed of its A vehicles.

I am somewhat intrigued by the disposal date list showing RAP carriers and if it was supposed to refer to universal carriers. The war establishment for an armoured regiment at this point didn't include universal carriers, unless RAP carrier was meant to refer to another type of vehicle. However there's always a chance they were u/c's and obtained unofficially.

Part of the joy of research.
Old 16-10-23, 03:45
Anthony Sewards

Default 3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards)

Jack

Thank you for sharing my research dealing with the return of Canadian M5A1 Stuarts . The connection to the Canadian 3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards) is right on the return paperwork along the line Issued By , you can see the Regiments name in brackets ( EX-3 CARR ).

The shared information came from a private FB page, Canadian Military Modellers Association which has a very large collection of material dealing with Canadian vehicles and was posted by myself in an Album dealing with Canadian M5A1 Stuart Tanks , photos ,tech material, and post war Regimental vehicle returns , which listed the Stuart Tanks census numbers upon return.

Anthony
Old 16-10-23, 04:28

Hello Anthony, thanks kindly for explaining the connection to the document. I had noticed the (EX-3 CARR) but it had not clicked in my brain to what exactly that abbreviation stood for, but certainly do now.