MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-06-04, 03:28
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: North Nova Scotia Highlanders

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
I found some links to articles about the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, and which give an account of the battles around Buron and Aurthie on June 7th.
John;

Thanks for posting the articles.

Cheers
Old 20-06-04, 04:20
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: North Nova Scotia Highlanders

John;

Map # 1 - showing the advance of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders and the counter- attack of the III/25th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment and 5th, 6th & 7th Kompanies II/12th SS Panzer Regiment - 0700 to 1600 hrs 7th June, 1944.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
map 7 jun 44 nnsh # 1.jpg  
Old 20-06-04, 04:22
Senior Forum Member

John;

Map # 2 - showing the counter- attack of the III/25th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment and 5th, 6th & 7th Kompanies II/12th SS Panzer Regiment - 7th June, 1944.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
map 7 jun 44 nnsh # 2.jpg  
Old 20-06-04, 04:30
Senior Forum Member

The plaque in Authie honouring the North Nova Scotia Highlanders:
Attached Thumbnails
nnsh plaque.jpg  
Old 20-06-04, 16:18

Default Buron

Here is a series of three air photos taken in early July, showing the area around Buron. the first photo shows Villons-les-Buissons at the top, with the anti-tank ditch at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
buron01.jpg  
Old 20-06-04, 16:19

Default Second photo

The second photo showing the anti-tank ditch.
Attached Thumbnails
buron02.jpg  
Old 20-06-04, 16:21

Default Buron

The final photo showing Buron. All three photos are from the book "Bloody Buron".
Attached Thumbnails
buron03.jpg  
Old 21-06-04, 01:14
Senior Forum Member

John;

I thought you might find this of interest, its taken from the War Diary of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders:

June 7, 1944

"At 0740 hours the Battalion again moved off in the same order, changing our axis of advance through Villons-les-Buissons along the main road to Carpiquet. By 0930 hours the village of Les Buissons was cleared and the command post moved up to that point. After some heavy mortar fire from St. Contest, the vanguard captured Buron and reported 'Ale' at 1150 hours. At 1230 hours the leading elements of the vanguard who had reached Authie reported 'Danube' and were closely followed on the right by 'A' company on 'A' squadron of tanks. Shortly after this the stuarts of 27 Canadian Armoured Regiment reported 'Eve' (Frankville). The vanguard reached Authie and en-countered three machine gun posts and hectic fighting took place. The vanguard commander reported mortar and shell fire from both flanks and the front, and asked for a troop of tanks and some artillery to take it on. The Forward Observation Officer then reported that artillery was out of range and it would be some time before it could be moved up.

The only fire available was a crusier, which the Naval Forward Observation Officer said could engage St. Contest for twenty minutes. This fire would have wiped St. Contest out, but faulty communications made it impossible to obtain it in time. In the meantime the troop of tanks had reached the vanguard and all were hit by 88 millimetres. The van-guard was then ordered to dig in and form a firm base. In the Commanding Officer's opinion it was impossible to go on. There was no one within miles of us on either flank or in the rear, so the flanking companies were ordered to close up on 'C' company and form a fortress. The vanguard commander wanted to come back to high ground in the rear of Authie. This permission was granted, and 'A' company who had not yet arrived, dug in on the right, just North of Authie. 'B' company were ordered up to dig in on the left and the rest of the battalion to bring up the rear. While this was in progress the vanguard was heavily attacked from the direction of St. Contest-Cussy by at least nine tanks and about two companies of infantry. It was too late for the vanguard to withdraw to the battalion position so they decided to fight it out in front of Authie. Captain FLC Fraser, who was with the leading elements, took command of the situation and hastily organized the defence, taking the Brownings from three knocked out tanks and a machine gun from the platoon commander's carrier of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, who had become a casualty. Nothing further was heard from this small formation and no one escaped to tell the story of their gallant action. At about the same time German armour struck past Authie and it could be seen a major counter-attack was being launched. All available tanks from 'A' and 'B' squadrons manouvered from hull-down positions South of Buron and as enemy armour broke through a great tank battle took place. At 1630 hours it was found that it was impossible for the battalion to push forward to Authie and Major Learment was ordered by the Commanding Officer to bring forward troops back and form a fortress just on the outskirts South of Buron.

'A' company were surrounded by tanks and infantry and unable to withdraw to the battalion fortress. Shortly after this the position South of Buron came under very heavy shell fire and mortar fire and when armour broke around our flanks the position became untenable. As there was no field of fire on the flanks the remainder of the battalion was facing another encicling movement had they remained in their positions. Major Learment who was then in command of the two forward companies with Captain Wilson then in command of the remnants of 'B' company were ordered to withdraw to the previously dug slit trenches, in rear of 'D' company and the battalion went to ground and prepared to hold on to the last. As tanks came round the flank the remaining tanks of the 27 Canadian Armoured Regiment and the Self Propelled guns of the Anti-Tank opened up from the woods of Les Buissons and also small arms fire from machine guns and the brownings over the heads of our troops to the North fringe of Buron. The enemy then engaged our fire from Buron with 75, 88s mortars and everything they had. Under this fire enemy infantry advanced and penetrated the forward slit trenches of 'D' company. It was impossible to stop them as they had to remain in their trenches to avoid our overhead fire and also the enemies. They had no field of fire due to the high grain. Machine gun fire and grenades were fired into the slits and 10 platoon and 16 platoon having run out of ammunition were forced to surrender and were rounded up.

Under our heavy Artillery fire which followed the captors went to ground and in the moment afforded by this break two sections of 16 platoon escaped and returned to their company. About this time one of 'D' company men reported to Battalion Headquarters that the forward positions were overrun and they were out of communication with everybody and that support was needed immediately. A fast counter-attack was immediately ordered by the Commanding Officer. Fierce fighting followed, and under a heavy artillery concentration on the forward position of 'D' company quickly laid on by our Forward Observation Officer we counter-attacked with the 12 remaing tanks which moved out under cover of the barrage. Artillery fire got the enemy in our forward position and with the help of the tanks they were driven out of Buron to Authie. Many casualties were inflicted by the tank's guns and in some instances the enemy being so numerous they were run over by them.

The town of Buron was re-captured, but by this time we could only account for part of 'D' company and the remnants of 'B' and 'C' companies, which was not sufficient strength, and as it was getting dark it was impossible to consolidate there and hold the position overnight. In view of this, permission was asked of the Brigadier to withdraw to the high ground in the woods at Les Buissons with the Stormont Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders and the remainder of the 27 Canadian Armoured Regiment. Permission was granted and the remnants of 'D'. 'A', 'B', 'C' and Support Companies were withdrawn into the fortress. No counter-attack came in that night and the battalion prepared to go back and occupy the town next morning, but higher authority called this off and the remainder of the Brigade was brought up on our right to occupy the town of Les Buissons."

Taken from the NNSH War Diary for 7 Jun 44 - Casualties - Killed: 1 Officer and 10 Other Ranks; Wounded: 3 Officers and 27 Other Ranks; Missing: 9 Officers and 195 Other Ranks
Old 21-06-04, 01:18
Senior Forum Member

John;

A map showing the advance of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders on 7 June 1944:
Attached Thumbnails
map nnsh 7 jun 44.jpg  
Old 03-07-04, 18:12
Vets Dottir

Default Thank God!!!

This thread still exists in here!!!! Awesome!

Love Carman
Old 03-07-04, 18:54
Vets Dottir

Default thread

Well ... I don't have enough time online to be able to really check whats still here, and whats not, but I'm getting the drift that the last couple of pages of this thread were lost ... sigh. I have to go now ... Carman (I hate the S O B )
Old 06-07-04, 16:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Audrieu Memorial

Carman;

Came across this photo - the Memorial at Audrieu.

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 06-07-04, 19:58
Vets Dottir

Smile Audrieu Image

Thanks Mark. It's good to see the plaque AND the wall!

I don't have time to properly read through all of these threads until after the 16th ... at which point I'll have much catching up to do again. My computer is currently on the floor as I sit on a suitcase ... keyboard and monitor on cardboard boxes... ah... such fun After the 16th I'll be set up better and may even have all my notes/etc pulled out and ready to organize ...

Thanks for helping to get this thread back on track EVERYONE!

Carman
Old 06-07-04, 20:13
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Audrieu Image

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
......: ....were we off track again.....:...I've been good....honest...:......
Old 06-07-04, 20:34
RIP

Default Re: Audrieu Image

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Thanks Mark. It's good to see the plaque AND the wall!

I don't have time to properly read through all of these threads until after the 16th ... at which point I'll have much catching up to do again. My computer is currently on the floor as I sit on a suitcase ... keyboard and monitor on cardboard boxes... ah... such fun After the 16th I'll be set up better and may even have all my notes/etc pulled out and ready to organize ...

Carman
Mark,did you catch that??Sitting on a suitcase with the computer on a cardboard box!!Where's Mark's Moving, Local & Long Haul Transport when one needs him for a measly desk & chair??!!@@##
Old 06-07-04, 21:51
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Audrieu Image

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Mark,did you catch that??Sitting on a suitcase with the computer on a cardboard box!!Where's Mark's Moving, Local & Long Haul Transport when one needs him for a measly desk & chair??!!@@##
RETIRED.................AND DOING RESEARCH........EYES SORE HEAD GOING TO EXPLODE!!! .............

P.S. Is No My Job Man.........
Old 07-07-04, 08:56
Vets Dottir

Not to worry my fine hairy beastly friend... don't need yore friggin help anyways A computer desk will be replacing the boxes within the next couple of days. HOWEVER ... I DO still need a kitchen table and chairs and some book-shelves. Send quick before we're snowed in! BOB is sending me the new coffee maker so don't send one!
Old 07-07-04, 09:26
Vets Dottir

Default A cure for Mark

MARK ... I have a cure for that headache of yours and am glad to help you

Caring Yappy
Attached Images

Old 07-07-04, 14:44
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: A cure for Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
MARK ... I have a cure for that headache of yours and am glad to help you

Caring Yappy
Oh!......You've unpacked have you..... ........I still say that you can't lift it high enough........
Old 07-07-04, 17:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
The following is going on your uncle's grave, together with a Red Ensign:
We did so on 7 June 2004 when we visited "Uncle Eddie's" grave.
Click image for larger version

Name:	eddie marker & plaque.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2290

Sunray Minor and Sunray shoulder to shoulder with Edward Smith.

The Maple Leaf Up team was honoured to play a role in delivering Karmen's eulogy to Uncle Eddie.
Name:  eddie geoff & friend kneeling.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  68.4 KB
Old 07-07-04, 20:57
Vets Dottir

Default Awe-struck.

I love you guys forever!

HANNO... thank you so very much for reposting these ... for your involvement, and mostly for the high regard and honour you've shown my Uncle. And me. Love Karmen.

SUNRAY MINOR ... thank you for being there with Hanno and your Father, caring, and honouring my Uncle, who was younger than you when he was senselessly murdered ... I m proud to know you were there, and as a younger generation, knowing and valueing what this, and my Uncle, was all about. Thank you for being there. Love Karmen.

GEOFF. I love you for all that you are and have done, from the day I registered, ignorant of details of my Uncle's service, and death, and of so many other things. You. Your site. Your members. But mostly YOU your principles, beliefs, and very high regard for these people and their history, their point, of WW2, preserving it ... I thank you from the bottom of my heart and you don't know how wonderful it is for me to know that it was YOU, BECAUSE of who and what you are, what's in your heart, standing there ... with my Uncle "Eddie"... on his behalf, on my behalf. Simply put ... Thank you Geoff. Love Karmen

MARK ... one day soon ... I shall post a very special appreciation post just for you. Love Karmen
-------------------

Had my Uncle come home again, and met me, he would have known me as "Karmen" ... the spelling my mother gave and intended, and I used until I startd grade school. Official registration made an error in the spelling of my name... family still spells the original sometimes (they "forget")
Old 09-07-04, 21:06
Vets Dottir

Talking Cool.

Typical comment from those who remember Uncle Eddie .... "Oh ... he was a REAL DEVIL," said with sparkling eyes, much affection and laughter ...

Little do they know how very appropriate the comment. They don't make the connection to the comment and his service.

I still can't stand to think of his 21 year old mind and blue eyes, uncomprehnding, then stricken, at that moment, in that field.

He really was a real GOOD Devil, in life, and in death.

That's my Uncle. So cool.

For the record ... I feel like I WAS there in Beny. Feels good.

Yappy Karmen
Old 09-07-04, 21:25
Vets Dottir

Default For Mark.

Mark.

Well. My effusive gushing is endless, isn't it? Oh well, you-all can just "suck it up" ... I will NOT control myself

What strikes me so much about this trip to visit and honour my Uncle, is knowing that since I joined MLU that March of 2003 ... you have contributed SO much knowldge and awareness in all of our minds, not only of my Uncle's experiences, but of all the men involved, and all the events, meanings of so many things of that time period, that war ... and on and on ...

I imagine Geoff, Sunray Minor, and Hanno (anyone else?) walking through Beny Sur Mer and viewing the gravesites of all the people at rest there ... with a much fuller and profound awareness. A fuller experience of realities.

That ... is what you have contributed. The bigger picture. The bigger knowledge and awareness experience as our MLU people walked and looked ... Love

Your contributions to MLU educate us all Mark ... as all peoples posts in here do, but you are a vital contributor of knowledge that stretches all our minds to hold more of the bigger pictures when we look at things.

Please don't stop enlightening in here ... and don't stop with the humor either you hairy beast

... Love Karmen
Old 10-07-04, 01:26
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: For Mark.

Ok Karmen;

What did I do now : ....... I've been good...haven't I : ........On second thought, me be Good?, I Don't Think So!!!

P.S. Thanks !
Old 10-07-04, 06:45
Vets Dottir

Talking Yore....

Yore welcome hairy beast
Old 10-07-04, 09:23
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: For Mark.

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
I imagine Geoff, Sunray Minor, and Hanno (anyone else?) walking through Beny Sur Mer and viewing the gravesites of all the people at rest there ... with a much fuller and profound awareness. A fuller experience of realities.
An interesting experience, which I will recount for you:

First of all, Karmen, I will return your gentle thoughts of me with thanks and appreciation... this place wouldn't be the same without you. You are the essence of those whom we purport to represent here, and we love you for it. Despite the ribbing which we give you (and take, I daresay! ), you add a previously unexplored dimension to MLU. Thank you for that.

As Hanno said, it was a privilege to serve your family at Beny-sur-mer. Duty. Honour. Respect. In the end, that's all there is, isn't it?

Speaking of Beny-sur-mer... as you know, my son, Shawn, was a Rifleman with the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. Both my father and I paraded with them, so I guess it's now our 'family regiment'... Anyway, the QOR had been at the cemetery earlier that week, and had left a plastic marker on EVERY QOR grave, one with the the regimental badge thereon... I think that moved Shawn more than anything else. Seeing the badge he has worn himself on the graves of dozens of lads younger than himself.

As Hanno has recorded on film (thank you, sir!), we did a proper tribute to Uncle Eddie. After that, while Shawn wondered about - no doubt in some turmoil as indicated above - I started to move back to the cemetery entrance. I had removed my beret at this time (I'd had it on to salute Rfn Smith, but was otherwise out-of-uniform). As I approached the entrance fromt he landward side, I noticed an old chap with no cap on, but carrying a full set of campaign medals, sitting in the shade of an ancient tree by one of the towers. His eyes showed everything... they stared back across 60 years of lost friendships and ancient terrors. He was OF another time - that which we poorly try to preserve - and IN another time - that which we can only vaguely understand because we haven't been there.

I saw him, stopped walking, put on my beret, and as I continued past him, gave him the salute of my life. I said, "Sir!" - he focussed on me and returned the salute almost as if he were surprised to get one - and then I said "Thank you.".

And in the background, a tour group from the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was embussing... but one of their pipers had drawn out his pipes and was playing a lament, by himself.

The whole experience was one of the most moving I've ever had.

I don't know who the old gentleman was, nor even from what regiment; I didn't want to violate the sanctity of the moment he was reliving. But if anything at all can bridge the gap between then and now...

THAT was Beny-sur-mer, for me.

G.
Old 10-07-04, 22:46
Vets Dottir

Well ... you said much in such a small space. Your ability to express yourself and your experiences is always so powerful G. The "WHAT" that you express. So good.

Thank you so much for telling me, us, what this experience was like for you... and for Shawn. I KNOW what you told is only the tip of the iceberg for the total experience for you.

I do feel really honoured, and so very glad that Shawn was so fortunate to be able to experience this whole trip, journey really! And awareness of the harsher realities must have been "impact" ... the QOR badgeson the gravesites, powerful. His mind ... has grown incredibly. I'm sure. I would wrap my arms around him in a big loving hug right now, if I could right now, instead, perhaps his father will stand in for me ... and do this for me?

I'm glad to hear that my presence seems to add such good things to the MLU. You make me feel valued and appreciated, and I feel very good, inside, about my presence here. I think my Uncle would feel so very honoured, and glad, about all this, and me.

Duty, honour, respect. Yessss. I agree, that in the end... that's all there is.

I'll bet both you and Shawn look great in kilts too!

I SO glad part of why you were there was for Rifleman Edward Smith. I feel my Uncle and I have added so much to your expriences, all of you. We've somehow, given you ALL another something valuable to hold onto.

I, Karmen, As his voice, and standing in for him, THIS ... is for you, from Rifleman Edward Smith .....
Old 28-07-04, 13:42
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Books photos about executed POWS June 1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Hi.

I'm looking for books about the Canadian POWS who were executed by the 12th SS Panzer Div June 8, 1944.
My Uncle was one of those soldiers and I'm writing about him. I want to know some of the events of those days in June, and I want to know `facts', not over-dramatizations or `wrong information'.
Judging the nature of this site I'm assuming I can hope to get some good/real info and suggestions on reading/viewing material.

(I'm already waiting to receive copies of `Take No Prisoners' video, and the library is searching for `Conduct Unbecoming by Howard Margolian, so am looking for `other sourse here)

I'm also looking for any photos that specifically include my uncle:

EDWARD SMITH, RIFLEMAN,
ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES `Little Black Devils'
`died' June 8/44
service #: H/42084

All mementos, photos, papers were destroyed by housefire so I'm searching via here and other places.

Thank you for any help...and Thank all you soldiers past, present and futurefor all you do and sacrifice.
Well. Above is my very first post, and my point, in joining MLU. This coming August makes that 18 months ago. I regret to inform you all that I'M STILL HERE AND NOT LEAVING!!!

Who'd a thunk my little post would have taken me on such an incredible journey through history, family and Canadian Military history ... and just as incredible, my journey into the minds, lives, and lifestyles of so many of you in here.

It's also taken me on a journey inside myself. MLU can be accused of being a wonderful peak experience in my life, on many levels. Intellectually, psychologically, emotionally. One I wouldn't trade for the world. It's a special place. All of you are special people. There is no way I could ever have come into contact with the lot of you, or even people like you, elsewhere. This place,and all of your pople are so very PERSONAL to me, and there's not one of you in here that I don't feel attached to and care about.

I've lived the most wonderful, amazed, hysterical happy, and sad, experiences, and have totally loved the living vicariously through your words, worlds, and shenanigans ... and so forth

I thank you all for this ... but if Geoff didn't have the MLU Brainstorm ... I'd have missed out on ALL of this.

Hey big boy G-Wiz thats for you from PWLMY Karmen for a most amazing experience that just doesn't quit (thank god!)

For the rest of you ....

Thanks, eh.
Old 02-08-04, 12:33
Vets Dottir

Default Ah :( missing posts.

It appears that again, some new posts got lost over this latest MLU server "down-er".

There was a wonderful post here from Garry and "Shad" which I'm sorry to see gone.

I'd written some "good news" too. Namly, I'm the proud new owner of a library card again My first visit to the library was just to apply for a card and acquaint myself with the library and its layout etc.

While whizzing/quick glancing by the shelves a TITLE jumped out at me ......

"LITTLE BLACK DEVILS"
A history of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles
by Bruce Tascona and Eric Wells.

Of COURSE I did silly (bring it home with me, that is)

(The library is also getting the "ICELANDIC RIVER SAGA" for me so I can photocopy new pages of my families history and photos of my Dad, grandparents, my siblings etc...the photcopies someone sent me years ago are dog eared and dirty by now, and some are on a horrible yellow-orange paper)

The JOY of being here in the city and surrounding areas is that HERE is where there is an abundance of informations, books, archived records, and "oral stories" to be had at, that I couldn't have at in BC, especially smalltown boonies town. This area is where it all came down/or came from ... like Uncle Eddie going off to War across the ocean)

Another book that jumped out at me was
THE SCOTTISH TRADITION IN CANADA
edited by W. Stanford Reid

MARKO .... the Highlander looking soldiers on the front cover look suspiciously like me cousins! The phot info is ...

Sergeants of the 78th Highlanders, 1867

I want some haggisnow (I love haggis! Its not so different tasting from buckwheat sausage))

Thats all for now ....

Karmen
Old 19-08-04, 11:39
Vets Dottir

Default Father of Rifleman Edward Smith

I'm so tickled to have just found record of my Grandfather's WW1 enlistment in Archivianet...this man is Rifleman Edward Smith's Father.

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/ne...e.html&r=1&f=G

PRIVATE JOSEPH SMITH
C.M.R. C.E.F.
Regimental # 1072219
His enlistment date is 1917!!!
(why so long after the war began?)

His birth year is listed as 1882 ... but all my records and info say it's actually 1883.

I think of all the FATHERS ... what that must have been like having been through what their sons are going through now, and ..... well. Fathers who have "been there" must have a very deeply intense and special pain and pride in their children soldiers.

Incredible.

"All my relations" Karmen