MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-05, 14:35
former Resident Historian

Default Ford engine enigma

Having not long ago said that we Brits refer to the thing with pistons that consumes petroleum spirit an 'engine', I have noticed that both Ford and GM referred to 'motors' 1938 onwards!

Anyhow, I have a dilemma that the Ford of Canada 1940-41 motor production figures are aggravating. Basically a 'pilot' F60H engine # '1C-3685F' was trialled in England from mid-August 1940 by the WD, and this was assembled probably in Southampton with a 'CMD' number so we know it was a Canadian order originally. However, '1C' was a C01T 1940 Model truck engine, and would have been produced in late November 1939 as a 1940 Model unit. I always thought that CMPs used the 1940-on Mercury unit which was fitted to the C09T truck and successor C19T etc. This would have had a '1G'' prefix, with in every case 'F' for rhd version as a suffix. Motor # 1G-3685F would have been produced in earlyish May 1940. Is there any evidence that any early DND-pattern trucks used the standard Ford unit? I can just imagine that a pilot truck would have used a similar V-8 to that being trialled in the first Carriers which were being built at the time. Has anyone got any number off a '40 Mercury? There was a rhd car in WHEELS & TRACKS but I have yet to find its photo and details.

Of course the production DND-pattern/CMP trucks used the Mercury V-8, and the monthly unit figures show therefore maximum DND-pattern production, as the same V-8s were used, as just said, in Mercury passenger cars and C09T trucks. It appears that production stepped-up in March 1940, with reasonable figures until September 1 1940 when the first British orders went into production at Windsor...production leapt in September as a consequence. Incidentally I also have the GM of Canada monthly 216 Chev and 248 GMC figures for the war and 'CKD' production by month.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 08-02-05 at 14:40.