MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 04-03-05, 15:32
Vets Dottir

Cool Year THREE Begins!

Amazing ... how time flies! I just realized that I've begun YEAR THREE since my first post on March 2nd
2003 17:53

First post:
http://mapleleafup.org/forums/showth...=&threadid=175
Quote:
Books photos about executed POWS June 1944

Hi.

I'm looking for books about the Canadian POWS who were executed by the 12th SS Panzer Div June 8, 1944.
My Uncle was one of those soldiers and I'm writing about him. I want to know some of the events of those days in June, and I want to know `facts', not over-dramatizations or `wrong information'.
Judging the nature of this site I'm assuming I can hope to get some good/real info and suggestions on reading/viewing material.

(I'm already waiting to receive copies of `Take No Prisoners' video, and the library is searching for `Conduct Unbecoming by Howard Margolian, so am looking for `other sourse here)

I'm also looking for any photos that specifically include my uncle:

EDWARD SMITH, RIFLEMAN,
ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES `Little Black Devils'
`died' June 8/44
service #: H/42084

All mementos, photos, papers were destroyed by housefire so I'm searching via here and other places.

Thank you for any help...and Thank all you soldiers past, present and futurefor all you do and sacrifice.
What an amazing journey it's been for me on MANY levels.
And what an incredible education about important family history, and important Canadian and world history it's been! And what amazing and wonderful people in here!

MLU ... has been a mind and life transforming entity for me.

Here's to all of you in MLU from me.

(I can't remember ALL the names I've used/been GIVEN ... LOL )

Karmen ... MA
Old 04-03-05, 16:02
Vets Dottir

Default PS:

I sit here, overwhelmed with memories and images of everything that's "been" since I first stumbled upon MLU and in retrospect, I know I've been very slow to "get on with it" regards the point of my being here, and the point of my first post. (my life has gone through many upheavals and major changes, including geographical, which slowed me down)

I know I now have enough information and some understanding regards my Uncle and his story to be able to start the last phase of this whole "point" ... "putting the story down on paper".

By the end of this third year, I promise that I will have completed my "writings" for my family history ... and for the places/people who want/requested information. I'm no author or expert, but the point is in the preservation of history and the honouring of a special man for his part and sacrifice for us. The story is more important than the writing of it ... but I hope I'll be able to do a good job that you "experts" will appreciate too. If anything, youve all been involved in this, even if just by "reading" the threads regards my Uncle. You know him now too ... through me and MLU Members posts

Old 05-03-05, 14:48
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Year THREE Begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
MLU ... has been a mind and life transforming entity for me.
Great to hear you´re as hooked on MLU as many other members are. Wonderful to have you aboard, Miss !

H.
Old 05-03-05, 15:36
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Year THREE Begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Great to hear you´re as hooked on MLU as many other members are. Wonderful to have you aboard, Miss !

H.
Thanks a lot Hanno ... yep, I'm hooked on the "substance" ... good information and stories, good people, good values, and good attitudes. Even good FOOD! (Anzac bikkies, Billy Tea, and maybe Kahlua Tim Tams too ... oops, almost forgot to mention BULLY STEW, VEGEMITE, and SPAM! )

I'm a happy camper here
Old 06-03-05, 23:52
M38A1 CDN3

Year three, you say!

Harumph! Rookie parvenu! :
Old 07-03-05, 00:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Year three, you say!

Harumph! Rookie parvenu! :
Hey Skagman ... cut a little slack for us ignorant civi's You-all can help me overcome some of the ignorance but I regret it's too late (too old/too short anyways) to NOT be a civi ....

How's the snow plowing going? ) Please say hi to Lady Skagfeld for me?
Ma