MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 14-02-09, 18:16

Default Identification

Does any knkow the make and model of this particular vehicle which I photographed on RV87 in Wainwright, Alberta?

Thank you,

Old 14-02-09, 18:34

It's a Ford Bronco (the F150 based series, not the Ranger based one). The styling looks late 70s to early 80s but that's more a guess than a certainty.
Old 14-02-09, 21:20

Default Thank you

Thanks, that one had me stumped.
Old 14-02-09, 23:31

I did a bit more digging. Based on the style of the grille and headlights I think it is between 1980 and 1986. 1979 and earlier had round sealed beam headlights and 1987 went to the large composite lenses.
Keep in mind that they might have kept using old style parts for an extra year or two to complete a military contract, not likely given the small number of Broncos in the fleet but possible.
Old 15-02-09, 03:14

Default Great Information

Judging by the newish condition and that the RVs were held early in the year (May), this vehicle could well have been a late purchased 1986 model or a newish 1987 model.
Old 15-02-09, 03:59
carrier mech

If you have access to the DIN, there is a site on which you can look up CFR numbers, and it will give you data like the serial number, disposal date etc. Eventually vehicles do get deleted from the site, as the army must recycle the CFR plate number at some point. But all the old M38A1s and the M151s are still listed, and they were disposed of back in 86/87

If you shoot me an email on the DIN (using my name above, rank (civ), and deployed KAF) I can send you the link.
Old 15-02-09, 05:34

Default Forces e-mail

Rob:

I can be reached at:

storey.we@forces.gc.ca

ED
Old 18-02-09, 14:35
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
If you have access to the DIN, there is a site on which you can look up CFR numbers, and it will give you data like the serial number, disposal date etc. Eventually vehicles do get deleted from the site, as the army must recycle the CFR plate number at some point. But all the old M38A1s and the M151s are still listed, and they were disposed of back in 86/87

If you shoot me an email on the DIN (using my name above, rank (civ), and deployed KAF) I can send you the link.
That reminds me...Stuck here in Port-au-Prince I have no idea if DND completed by Access to Information request.
Old 18-02-09, 15:20
carrier mech

Had a minute to check it today, it is a 1985 Ford Bronco, model U150. It was also (get this) LPG powered. It belonged to Wainwright, and was disposed of in Mar of 1996. I can provide the serial number too if you really wanted it.
Old 18-02-09, 15:52

Default Propane power was one of the fads at the time

While doing OJT at Chilliwack 1991 they gave me a propane powered van to take to Vernon as support for a CE course. Nobody asked me if I had the required propane driving and fuelling certifications. Vernon didn't have a Camp refuelling station so we went to the commercial ESSO station down the hill for fuel without problem. When I went to turn the van back in I was asked if I had filled it and responded that I would be happy to fill it if someone would show me how. You can imagine the concern on eveyone's face (except mine since we had had our transport for the two weeks) once they realized how all their wonderful checks had accidentally been circumvented by an OCdt.

As discussed in another thread propane power was one of the fads at the time that seemed like a wonderful idea until it got out into the field and it was discovered that the available technology didn't match the promised capability and the environment some of the vehicles were operated in. I had no problem with the van in lotus land except for the standard problem that empty vans do poorly in snow but cold starting was a recognized issue with propane at the time.
Old 18-02-09, 15:53
Terry Warner

Default Military use SUVs

Kicking around Kingston and Wainwright (in the good old days of RV89) I noticed a camo painted Suburban with 5/4 accessories, front grill, AMUs and a tubular roof rack. I asked someone in the old 1 Canadian Signals Regiment (1 CSR). He said it was the Div commander's. I remember thinking that a 5/4 vinyl tarp would be an excellent decoy to decoy the old man's rover to look like any other echelon truck.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-02-09, 15:58
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post

As discussed in another thread propane power was one of the fads at the time that seemed like a wonderful idea until it got out into the field and it was discovered that the available technology didn't match the promised capability and the environment some of the vehicles were operated in. I had no problem with the van in lotus land except for the standard problem that empty vans do poorly in snow but cold starting was a recognized issue with propane at the time.
The recruiting centres were issued alternate fuel vehicles to help the CF meet some government objective. But, trying to find fuel for a propane staff car in -40 weather in Leader, Saskatchewan made everyone think again.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-02-09, 16:05
carrier mech

I ran into one of those cammed up jimmys myself a number of years back. I was only home a week or two from a JLC course in Wainwright, when we had to head back again for a RV. After the RV, we mechanics got to stay another couple weeks repairing M113s for some summer task which was upcoming. So long storey short, I, and a bunch of the others were getting a little stir crazy being in Wainwright far too long. So we absconded with a 5/4 ton, and headed for Lloydminster, where it was rumoured the beer flowed a-plenty, and one could watch dancing girls while partaking of aforementioned spirits. But as we pulled up into the establishments parking area, who else was there but a camaflouged blazer with a big 9 on the door. This was in 1989, so it may very well be the same truck Terry is talking about.
Not really wanting to crowd the establishment with another military truck, we headed elsewhere in town, grabbing a little bit of McDonalds before heading back. Of course, with the luck we were having, our ET was waiting in the parking lot for us.

Ahh, the good old days.
Old 19-02-09, 03:32

Default Ford Bronco

Rob, thank you for looking up the vehicle, I will e-mail you on the DIN from work.

There were actually two Suburbans at Div HQ - Callsigns 99 and 99A. From 1982 until at least 1999 the Div HQ went through three different vehicle models for these callsigns. In the early 1980s Jeep Cherokees were used, then there was a switch to Suburbans and two models of these were used.

I have photographs of all of them, just a matter of getting the thousands of photos scanned, here is 99A in Kingston in 1996.

Old 22-02-09, 03:48
M38A1 CDN3

Oooohhhh!!!

Where is that Iltis Line truck now???