MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 08-11-07, 21:46
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: .....?????/

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Er.... methinks we'd rather not know, Boobie, this is a family forum dontcha know.... but if you insist on learning, I'm sure that Robert would be happy to conduct a demonstration over in the paddock....

Some things are best left private...pun(s) fully intended.
Old 13-11-07, 09:06
Dutch member

Default Re: Tires underway.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
..... there coming.......
Can hardly wait to smell the new rubber!!!!!!
Hi Bob,

Who can tell me (or you Bob) about the "British rim" size
of the new (nice looking) tyre ?

Dirk
Old 13-11-07, 17:27

Default I Dunno.....!!!!!

Hi Dirk

To be perfectly honest the issue has never been raised...... we all maddly fell in love with the deep V pattern and never considered that aspect.

They are made by an American Company...... who also makes the standard USA Bar thread military tires in various size.......

From personal experience, I installed regular US made 9:00x16 tires on properly cleaned up (sandblasted and painted) CMP rims and they went on without any problems......
.....similarly the Caldwell's installed used Michelin radial military 9:00x16 block thread design on CMP rims and also claimed they went on very easily.........

At this stage of the game.... with the tires on the way...... you can bet your last $5...... they will fit!!!!!! or will make them fit...

By the way.... not that it matters to us with CMP two piece rims.... the tire casing is designed for tubeless installation.

Both my tractor tire dealer, who will be installing the tires and Wade in Texas recommend using a 9:00x16 tube instead of a 11:00x16 tube...... apparently a properly inflated and stretched tube is safer than an overlarge tube that made create folds andfriction will develop to the point of failure...... any comments?
The relatively narrow CMP rims and the flap and the wall thickness of the 10:50 casings apparently may cause the 11:00 tube to crease inadvertently during installation.

Will certainly personally monitor/supervise the tire installation when we get them and report our expereince.

Bob
PS....... with five tires per vehicle .....we will have to think of tire rotation........ and the big suckers may not fit in the recessed panel of the HUP.....??? or the calm spare tire holders for the fortunate few that have them......

Hang in there...

Bob
Canada
Old 13-11-07, 22:41
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: I Dunno.....!!!!!

Quote:
..... we all madly fell in love with the deep V pattern .....
My heart started racing there for a sec... then I realised you were talking about tyres....

Bloody hell...
Old 14-11-07, 03:45

Default Duh....!!!

Pervert......

...... everybody knows that the smell of fresh rubber tire is an aphrodisiac...... gosh I am so excited and can't even spell horny!!

Boob
Canada
Old 14-11-07, 03:58
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Duh....!!!

Quote:
Pervert......

...... everybody knows that the smell of fresh rubber tire is an aphrodisiac...... gosh I am so excited and can't even spell horny!!

Boob
...or clam...but we know what you were thinking about. So, Thursday is the big day?
Old 14-11-07, 04:10

Default Clams......

.... who is serving sea food...... I see I eat....smells like an old girl friend...... Yikes....hope Carmen is not reading this.....

Yes on Thursday.... check you pers. email address....

Boob
Canada
Old 14-11-07, 18:03
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Clams......

Quote:
...Yes on Thursday.... check you pers. email address....

Boob
Woo hoo! Road trip! Will have the camera at the ready!
Old 15-11-07, 13:48
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hi Guys

Well I certainly have never seen such a group excited about new rubber... Kinda a tire salesmans dream...

At any rate, I was wondering what has drawn this bunch into the fascination of these tires? Is it the fact that they are true chevron style as per original cmp tires?
The reason I ask is because I am sure if they were 9.00-16 chevrons all us guys would be drooling... Correct me if I'm wrong but 10.50-16 were used on very few cmps, eg C15TA, F60S Bofors, C30 cwt etc...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 15-11-07, 13:54

A friend who has purchased some of these tyres has commented that they will not fit Canadian/British rims.

He is suggesting that it is not only the bead angle but also the width of the tyres measured between the beads. I am in no position to confirm these reports, but has anyone actually fitted these tyres yet to a war-time rim.
Old 16-11-07, 00:21
Mr. HUP

Default Dont Fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
A friend who has purchased some of these tyres has commented that they will not fit Canadian/British rims.

He is suggesting that it is not only the bead angle but also the width of the tyres measured between the beads. I am in no position to confirm these reports, but has anyone actually fitted these tyres yet to a war-time rim.
Yes. Today at the barn, we fitted one of the new tyres to a Brit Rim. It was snug and there is a small gap between the outer flange of the rim and the side of the tire - no more than the Michelins we've seen mounted on other CMP rims here in the colonies.
Old 16-11-07, 01:41

Default Results of today's road trip

Bob and I escaped town this morning intent on picking up the tires, collecting the latest crop of goodies shipped to a stateside address (because some sellers won't deal with Customs paperwork) and having lunch at "The Place". The photo shows what all the buzz is about, chevron pattern tires. Like many truck enthusiasts we have succumbed to desire to have one size larger rubber. We failed to collect a picture of Beth who was kind enough to deliver "Loaded Cheesburgers' and beverages to our table. Canadian Customs didn't give any troubles about the importation of the tires for personal use and one of the agents was spotted glancing admiringly at the trailerload. (He has a weakness for Olive Drab vehicles.)
Attached Images

Old 16-11-07, 02:45

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Hi Guys

Well I certainly have never seen such a group excited about new rubber... Kinda a tire salesmans dream...

At any rate, I was wondering what has drawn this bunch into the fascination of these tires? Is it the fact that they are true chevron style as per original cmp tires?
The reason I ask is because I am sure if they were 9.00-16 chevrons all us guys would be drooling... Correct me if I'm wrong but 10.50-16 were used on very few cmps, eg C15TA, F60S Bofors, C30 cwt etc...
G'day Chris! How's life out in the middle of nowhere?

I'll respond to your observations/questions while the others are busy wiping up their drool... at least I think it's drool... but I digress.

(1) Experience has shown that exposure to the rather thinner air in the Ottawa Valley has lead to some getting mixed up a bit; where to you and I, things like "curvature", "deep vee" and "shape" mean one thing, usually characterised by marked and exquisite femininity, this lot has regressed. There is a distinct possibility that spending altogether too much time in that backwoods shed in each others' company has skewed their perspective beyond hope, but we shall have to wait until spring, when Cleavage Season returns - then we'll know for sure whether there's anything worth saving or whether they should be put down, poor chaps. With me so far?

(2) The simple answer to your point #2 is yes - the chevron is a true mark of CMPness. As you well know, as good as they do look, non-directional American military bar-treads are singularly without character.

(3) Given the curvature (I have to be careful here) of a CMP front fender is a work of art within historic automotive design circles, it seems almost a shame that one cannot up-rubber to match that more closely - the 9.00-16, while attractive and versatile in its own right, is dwarfed underneath that volupt .... I mean, artistic curve of the CMP fender. Why not do it justice? Besides, with larger tyres, yon 15cwt suddenly gains a few miles per hour on the road, significant especially to the anemic 216ci Chev engine.

(4) There is no point #4, but if there were it might read that they like them in lieu of finding the chevron pattern in 9.00-16, with which I heartily concur (even if the tyres aren't the exquisitely feminine sort of curvature leading into a deep vee and.... I'd better shut up now).
Old 16-11-07, 02:50

Default Re: Dont Fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Yes. Today at the barn, we fitted one of the new tyres to a Brit Rim. It was snug and there is a small gap between the outer flange of the rim and the side of the tire - no more than the Michelins we've seen mounted on other CMP rims here in the colonies.
It would seem to me that this answers the question about suitability, does it not? Rob, if you can tear yourself away from the pile of tyres for just a moment, any chance of getting a pic or two of the one your fitted today?
Old 16-11-07, 04:13
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Dont Fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
It would seem to me that this answers the question about suitability, does it not? Rob, if you can tear yourself away from the pile of tyres for just a moment, any chance of getting a pic or two of the one your fitted today?
We will post a pic of a fully inflated tire with tube and flap inserted as soon as possible.
Old 16-11-07, 18:08
Mr. HUP

Default Rubber and Excitement

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Hi Guys

Well I certainly have never seen such a group excited about new rubber... At any rate, I was wondering what has drawn this bunch into the fascination of these tires? Is it the fact that they are true chevron style as per original cmp tires?
Hi Chris,

In my case, the chevrons are the attraction. The new tyres look the part and add an element of safety that my 60 year old 9.00x16s can't provide. I do have some Ferret and Michelin tyres, but when push came to shove, the opportunity presented itself and I pounced. Besides, the Michelins look out of place and the Ferret tyres don't add anything to the ride or handling. I'll use them for my other project vehicles.

No one in our group is going to put their CMP thru a Barrett-Jackson concourse, so small deviations from the original specs are acceptable to us including the use of new paint, gas, oil, fluids, bearings, gaskets, seals, belts, batteries, wiring, etc.. Visually, the tyres are a good fit even if they are not totally correct for the vehicle (think silicon inplants and their effects...).

Bottom line: this fool had the money, and now it has departed (for some drop dead sexy rubbers).

Last edited by RHClarke; 18-11-07 at 15:14.
Old 18-11-07, 01:28

Default They fit....

Who says they wont fit on British rims......

I dragged myself out of bed late as usual ... it was sunny but minus 3 degrees Celsius....... of course Rob was there already....

...to my surprise Rob had installed one of the new tires on the spare rim from his HUP....... he had used some dish soap 50/50 mix as a lubricant .... even with the tire carcass stiff with the cold weather he had the tire fully rimmed....only the air impact was used to tighthen the bolts.....

Height of the tire is a shade over 38 inches...... circ. is about 120 inches..... defenitely bigger than original 9:00x16 circa 1940 casings....
Attached Images

Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 18-11-07 at 01:47.
Old 18-11-07, 01:30

Default Differences with old casings.....

a significant difference in size with real original tires...
Attached Images

Canada
Old 18-11-07, 01:31

Default More differences...

Compared side by side with original 10:50 on Rob's HUP the similarity is evident...
Attached Thumbnails
hpim7432enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 18-11-07, 01:33

Default Compared to 9:00x16...

Check the difference against the ALSO non original brand new USA bar thread.....

....as Geoff so graciously pointed out.... they should really fill out the artistic curves of the C15a fender curve very well....
Attached Images

Canada
Old 18-11-07, 01:36

Default For tire installers....

....clear instructions are cast in the side walls.....
Attached Thumbnails
hpim7438enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 18-11-07, 01:39

Default Capacity....

Load capacity....
Attached Thumbnails
hpim7437enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 18-11-07, 01:46

Default Happy as a pig in s****......

To sum the whole tire experience.........

Final price was $242.00 per tire.... including all S&H and taxes.....in the barn.

They fit very well.................

They look good...... and improvement on the USA bar thread...

They are brand new and not cracked......

They will probably outlast me and the vehicle.....

They are not original....but they smell so goooood!!!! fresh rubber.

I would buy them again..........!!!!

BooB
Canada
Old 18-11-07, 02:22
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Happy as a pig in s****......

Quote:
To sum the whole tire experience...I would buy them again..........!!!! BooB
Bob,

Many thanks for taking on this "impossible" project. I am very grateful for the time and effort you took to make this project work. A little poorer yes, but a damn sight more safe and a lot happier.

Last edited by RHClarke; 18-11-07 at 15:06.
Old 18-11-07, 14:14

Default Magnificent!

...and it has taken SO long to get them! For years now we have talked about finding chevron-pattern tyres for CMP vehicles... and finally you've done it!

For approx a grand CAD, a set of these will long outlast everyone who buys them. I'd say that's a pretty good deal, wouldn't you?

Ya done good, byes!

Old 18-11-07, 14:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: More differences...

Quote:
Compared side by side with original 10:50 on Rob's HUP the similarity is evident...
So I wonder what happened to the moulds that Coker Tire used to make their recent production 10.50-16s? They had much squarer voids in the tread and had smooth shoulders without those steps:
Attached Thumbnails
cokerreal.jpg  
Old 18-11-07, 17:11
Dutch member

Default Re: They fit....

Quote:
Who says they wont fit on British rims......
Hi Bob, my wake up was late this morning, that's an every year
problem. After our show in Schoorl nice talkings and drinking
mister Heineken's beer from Holland in front of the bar.

But after reading your story about the "British Rims" story, feeling
me much better. You know I 'm an "Unbeliever Thomas" about the
tyre storys. Well don't forget that the 16 inch rim size of the Chev
C8A and Ford Lynx smaller (normall US wh. size) is, than the "other"
(British rim wh. size) CMP 16 inch trucks.

Dirk
Old 19-11-07, 03:20

Default what's that you say....

Hi Dirk

Well Thomas they do fit....... and without much difficulties....

..and I believe that no matter whether the wheel is from a Dodge or a Chev or a US truck or ... heaven.........even a Ford....if it is a 16 inch rim the guys from Hammond will make it fit.

However, I would like to see the gorilla that woul dforce that tire bead on a single piece rim without power tools..... the bead is very stiff. One of Wade's employee in Texas has them mounted on a modern Chevrolet pickup......on one piece tubeless rims.

They fit...!!!

Bob
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 19-11-07 at 19:25.
Old 19-11-07, 21:37

Default When.....

Hi Tony

When was the last time Coker made the Chevron tires in 9:00 or 10:50.....

It is a shame everybody keeps re-inventing the wheel.....
.........pun intended.

According to the story, Wade from Texas bought the original molds from someone in Toronto...... could have been old molds from Firestone who operated out of Cobourg I beleive.

In any event they surely needed updating to reflect latest manufacturing processes such as synthetic plys vs cotton.

And of course by law they must contain all the stupid warning molded into the side walls...like do not inflate to 2000 pounds .... do not put them in your nose.... keep away from children.

You would think there would be provision for all the legal jargon to appear on the back side of the side walls so as not to see it....

Our new tires have a very simplistic pattern.... I am sure you have seen the other more artistic patterns that were prominent in the 40s. The different patterns could be a seperate topic or collection issue by themsleves.

BooB
Canada
Old 19-11-07, 22:30
Dutch member

Default Re: what's that you say....

Quote:

Well Thomas they do fit....... and without much difficulties....
Hi Bob,
I'm glad you are happy, that's important for our hobby.
Barry told me that the weather was very nice in Ontario
last week. To early back home for me ?

Dirk