MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-03-05, 11:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Perhaps Norm can confirm, but I've read and heard time and time again that the Canadians were the world's best scroungers...
Then why does Australia have more CMP's than Canada?
Old 22-03-05, 15:04
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Perhaps Norm can confirm, but I've read and heard time and time again that the Canadians were the world's best scroungers...
Oh! Absolutely! We didn't call it scrounging where I served however. Scrounging suggests the legal act of going through someone else's leavings. We had different names for our gathering of materiel from others....collectage or acquirage! Someday when the Statute of Limitations has been reached I can be more specific but I assure you we Canadians are very adept at improving our living conditions and capabilities from stocks of unminded kit! To paraphrase Winston Churchill

"Never was so much done from that of so many others by so few!"

Cheemo!
Old 22-03-05, 15:39
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Spam Feast

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
"SPAM" wasn't always used in reference to cyber stalking and harrassment or just a weird-tasting fast-food meal at home .... !

http://www.nt.net/~toby/remember.html
I have to admit that I'm a Spam lover also, but hasn't it always been slightly disgusting pulling the Spam out of the tin...what with the grease and gelatin (if that is indeed what it is!) Well Folks here's the latest and greatest: Spam Singles! Only in America!
Attached Images

Old 22-03-05, 16:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Spam Feast

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
I have to admit that I'm a Spam lover also, but hasn't it always been slightly disgusting pulling the Spam out of the tin...what with the grease and gelatin (if that is indeed what it is!) Well Folks here's the latest and greatest: Spam Singles! Only in America!
It had to "get with the program", eh? (I've always wondered what that "geletan" is too )

Do you FRY yours, Sapper? Do you use mustard or Vegemite on it?

BTW folks ... our Vegemite jar is now empty
And SOOOO are the Tim Tams ... except for two that Sunray has left of "his gift" ... hmmmmm timtamstimstims tim tams timtamstim ... tams ... sounds like music to me wee bittie ears .......................................

Karmen
Old 22-03-05, 23:35
Derek Heuring

Let me see....I like Spam and eggs;Spam, Spam and eggs; Spam,Spam,Spam and eggs; Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam and eggs; Spam,Spam,Spam, Spam,Spam,beans and eggs. (I also like Monty Python!)
Actually Spam is a very versatile meat (it is meat isn't it?) I cook it with hash browns to make a poor man's Corned Beef Hash or chop up pickles and mash it with mayo to make a sandwich spread. It's great! I also think its the secret ingredient in Haggis, 'tho no Scotsman would admit it!
Old 23-03-05, 20:34
48th Highlander

Default spam feast

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
I meant to tell this story earlier but I got bogged down in other things.
RSM Vic Jackson MM, was a great story teller and always had at least one tale to tell us when he visited our museum. One of the stories was about Spam and the many different ways that the cooks prepared it. One way was to dip it in batter and fry it. Vic dubbed it "Horse Cock"
Before I begin this addition to Art Johnsons thread, I want Karman and all you delicate ladies on MLU to cover your eyes as this response is not censored.
Some time between late 1941 and 42 the chefs were given a new delicacy for their fine menu's. It was a salami type canned meat in a long roll, God knows I don't know what its true ingredient was. But, if you have ever lived on a farm where they raised horses you will understand the slang. I remember someone asking the cook just what in the hell is this that we are eating and our "B" Company chef who had a great sense of humor said look at it, what the hell does it look like? it is a horse cock man. That name stuck with this culinary delight forever.

Old 23-03-05, 20:45
48th Highlander

Default spam feast

Quote:
Yes Geoff: The Canadian soldiers were amongst the best of scroungers. But here is a scrounge story in reverse.
During the Ortona episode tack headquarters moved into a large farmhouse which had two huge wine tanks. They were probably part of a co-op enterprise when our RSM witnessed a foot slogger filling his water bottle with some of the tank contents and I am sure this soldier really thought he had hit the mother load. Our RSM immediately sprung into action and carried out the atrocity of all atrocities he opened the discharge valves on both the tanks which left us slopping around in pools of wine for the next couple of hours. to the vino hounds in the regiment this was truly a heart breaking disaster.
Old 23-03-05, 22:33
RIP

Default Scroungers Extrodinaire!!

A corporal from the Hasty Pee's who hailed from Picton,and who was the company commanders driver with a jeep,who played baseball against my dad when he played for the Kingston pony's,shows up at the transport pool looking for my dad,He tells him the CO is having a little party,and he needs something for supper.Well,vino & spaghetti go well together,But it was going to finally cost them a 40 ouncer,So dad,on his run so called run down to Bari, with bottle absconded from we know not where,returns to his unit where the corporal is waiting for him.Not only did he bring him a sack of flour,but a keg of vino,and a case of spam.Not only did the dinner go over well,but dad & my scrounging uncle from 1RCHA,had a riproaring drunk.Not only was my uncle an artillery scrounger,but he also operated a laundry service on the side where dividends/trades were legendary.
Old 11-04-05, 01:00
David Pope

My cousin was in XXX Corps in Italy. He told us of the "Battle for the Pig"! A big old sow was between the Canucks and the Germans, and an artillery duel erupted , each side trying to scare the pig towards their own position. The Canadians finally sortied out at night and "Brought home the bacon", but only after many thousands of dollars worth of ammo was expended. He said the bite of fresh pork that he got was worth every penny!