MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-04-05, 19:57
Vets Dottir

Question Regimental Rivalries

Can we start with Regiments close to me wee bittie heart-n-soul?

Was (is?) there a problem with regimental rivalries between the ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES and PRINCESS PATRICIAS CANADIAN LIGHT INFANTRY?

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Etc

Karmen Ma
Old 18-04-05, 20:24
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Was (is?) there a problem with regimental rivalries between the ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES and PRINCESS PATRICIAS CANADIAN LIGHT INFANTRY?
Let see now, one is Reserve and the other is Regular, besides, who cares, they both belong to the "ARMY OF THE WEST" anyways......

and to answer the second part:

Quote:

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Who - is on first
What - is on second
Where - is on third
When - is on home plate
Why - is the short stop

Any other questions MA ............................

OH! ...you forgot to include 'HOW' in your Who, What, Where, When, Why........................:
Old 18-04-05, 20:36
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner

OH! ...you forgot to include 'HOW' in your Who, What, Where, When, Why........................:
Whatever

Old 18-04-05, 20:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Can we start with Regiments close to me wee bittie heart-n-soul?

ALL Canadian regiments to a greater or lesser degree, have an ongoing rivalry with, and disdain for, all the others. This was particularly true in times of general mobilization (such as WW2), which is why I suggested Norm comment.

Interestingly, if it came to a good interservice bar brawl, all of the infantry regiments would tend to forget their rivalries and team up against the arty, air force, British, Americans, or whomever. Only after that would they go back to beating the crap out of each other...

Does that pretty much explain it?
Old 18-04-05, 20:39
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Let see now, one is Reserve and the other is Regular, besides, who cares, they both belong to the "ARMY OF THE WEST" anyways......
Okay MARK ... now you're confusing me yet again :

HOW ... does RESERVES or REGULAR figure into REGIMENTAL RIVALRIES?

Ma still scratches her wee bittie head.
Old 18-04-05, 20:53
48th Highlander

Default Regimental rivalries

Karman & Geoff:

I think it appropriate finally that the world be exposed to the truth. Especially regarding the first brigade. First let me quote a fact of physics. The cream always floats to the top. As you must be aware at this time. Toronto is the city of the good, and has fostered many fine regiments. But, alas the nicknames bear out the truth. The 48th recruited only the good looking and the intelligent and dressed them in military garb suitable to their stature. In Aldershot January 24th 1940 his majesty King George V1 inspected the 48th and gave them the great honor and permission to wear the blue putties. An honor befitting this glamorous regiment thus they became known as the glamour boys (how true) The Hastings and Prince Edward regiment commonly know as the plough jockeys because a great number of them were from the rural areas. Sometimes honored but the name of the hasty pissers. Now the RCR's being at this time a permanent force were endowed with the name pukkas, I will let Mark Tonner explain this honor. So one can see why rivalry has its foundation. No, I don't believe it is true that the glamour boys ever really did walk on water, (although I can't confirm this)

Old 18-04-05, 21:19
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball

Interestingly, if it came to a good interservice bar brawl, all of the infantry regiments would tend to forget their rivalries and team up against the arty, air force, British, Americans, or whomever. Only after that would they go back to beating the crap out of each other...

Does that pretty much explain it?
Why Thank You Master Sunray ... I am somewhat more enlightened. (I think ??? )

Hmmmm ... regimental "families" are like any other "families" it seems.

My family is better than YOUR family nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah :P:P:P also like any family, the feudal families come together to beat the crap out of families the feudal families don't like. The Hatfields and the MacCoys? Or the MacKenzies and the Malcolms I read somewhere...LOL

Alright! Put up your dukes/stens/swords/colours/frying pans/whatever.
Old 18-04-05, 21:19
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Okay MARK ... now you're confusing me yet again :

HOW ... does RESERVES or REGULAR figure into REGIMENTAL RIVALRIES?

Ma still scratches her wee bittie head.
Me thinks I'll leave you confused for awhile, besides, it's Monday...I'll 'splain next Friday.....that way, you can think about it over the weekend........
Old 18-04-05, 21:27
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Regimental rivalries

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
Karman & Geoff:

I think it appropriate finally that the world be exposed to the truth. Especially regarding the first brigade. First let me quote a fact of physics. The cream always floats to the top. As you must be aware at this time. Toronto is the city of the good, and has fostered many fine regiments. But, alas the nicknames bear out the truth. The 48th recruited only the good looking and the intelligent and dressed them in military garb suitable to their stature. In Aldershot January 24th 1940 his majesty King George V1 inspected the 48th and gave them the great honor and permission to wear the blue putties. An honor befitting this glamorous regiment thus they became known as the glamour boys (how true) The Hastings and Prince Edward regiment commonly know as the plough jockeys because a great number of them were from the rural areas. Sometimes honored but the name of the hasty pissers. Now the RCR's being at this time a permanent force were endowed with the name pukkas, I will let Mark Tonner explain this honor. So one can see why rivalry has its foundation. No, I don't believe it is true that the glamour boys ever really did walk on water, (although I can't confirm this)

It seems that this thread would fit right in with REGIMENTAL NICKNAMES ... how and by whom they were coined, and why?

PUKKAS ... I'm intrigued ... do S'plain me Lucy-Mark

Karmen
Old 18-04-05, 21:29
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Me thinks I'll leave you confused for awhile, besides, it's Monday...I'll 'splain next Friday.....that way, you can think about it over the weekend........
Hmmm ... are you telling me that YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT?
Old 19-04-05, 00:33
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regimental Rivalries

Quote:
Hmmm ... are you telling me that YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT?
Now you've got me confused, what in the 'H' are you talking about???? :
Old 19-04-05, 01:54
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Karman & Geoff:

Tsk tsk tsk NORM ... DOWN BOY!

:P Ma
Old 19-04-05, 02:03
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
I think it appropriate finally that the world be exposed to the truth. Especially regarding the first brigade. First let me quote a fact of physics. The cream always floats to the top. As you must be aware at this time. Toronto is the city of the good, and has fostered many fine regiments. But, alas the nicknames bear out the truth. The 48th recruited only the good looking and the intelligent and dressed them in military garb suitable to their stature.
Oh ferchrissakes...

Quote:
In Aldershot January 24th 1940 his majesty King George V1 inspected the 48th and gave them the great honor and permission to wear the blue putties. An honor befitting this glamorous regiment thus they became known as the glamour boys (how true)
That must have made you FINE targets at the local, I hope you had fun...

Quote:
Now the RCR's being at this time a permanent force were endowed with the name pukkas, I will let Mark Tonner explain this honor.
Hmmm... never heard that one before! We just called them Run Chicken Run. Used to cause all sorts of lively times in mixed messes...
Old 19-04-05, 02:20
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Regimental rivalries

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Hmmm... never heard that one before! We just called them Run Chicken Run. Used to cause all sorts of lively times in mixed messes...
Oh Master 'Spinning-Ball', you forgot the other classic, Rocking Chair Rangers.....

And for MA ;

The meaning of (in the context of a soldier):

Reserve - part-time soldier
Regular - full-time soldier

or

Militia - part-time soldier
Permanent - full-time soldier

or

Non-Permanent Active Militia - part-time soldier
Permanent Active Militia - full-time soldier

which leads us to, for MA 's purposes:

Royal Winnipeg Rifles - part-time soldier
PPCLI - full-time soldier

or for Master 'Spinning-Ball's' purposes:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Little Indians

Old 19-04-05, 03:03
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Who was Princess Patricia? There is a NZ Cav/Armd unit called Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles (Queen to King Edward VII), which is sometimes disrespectfully called Queen Alexandra Mounted Rifles, which I'm sure she did'nt.
Old 19-04-05, 16:32
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Who was Princess Patricia? There is a NZ Cav/Armd unit called Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles (Queen to King Edward VII), which is sometimes disrespectfully called Queen Alexandra Mounted Rifles, which I'm sure she did'nt.
I shall make no comment on Queen Alexandra Mounted Rifles ... but here is something I found on PRINCESS PATRICIA

Quote:
Princess Patricia of Connaught

Her Royal Highness Princess Patricia of Connaught (17 March 1886-12 January 1974) was a member of the British Royal Family, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. She is the only member of the Royal Family to formally relinquish her title of a British princess and the style of Her Royal Highness.

Early Life

Patricia was born on March 17, 1886 at Buckingham Palace, London. Her father was His Royal Highness Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, the third eldest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Her mother was Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Connaught (nee Princess Louise Marguerite of Prussia). She had two elder siblings, TRH Prince Arthur of Connaught and Princess Margaret of Connaught, later Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden. She was christened Victoria Patricia Helena Elizabeth. She was named Victoria after Queen Victoria, and Patricia, the Saint of her birth. Informally, she was known as Patsy.

Canada

Princess Patricia travelled extensively in her early years. Her father was posted to India with the army, and the young Princess spent two years living there. In 1911, her father, Duke of Connaught was appointed Governor General of Canada. Princess Patricia accompanied her parents in their role, and she became very popular in the country.

She was named Colonel-in-Chief of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry on 22 February 1918 and held that appointment until her death. The regiment was named after her. Princess Patricia personally designed its badge and colours for the regiment to take overseas to France. As the regiment's Colonel-in-Chief, she played an active role in the regiment until her death. She was succeeded in 1974 by her cousin and goddaughter the Rt. Hon. Lady Patricia Brabourne, who became the Countess Mountbatten of Burma.

Marriage

The question of Patricia's marriage became a very hot topic of conversation in Edwardian times. She was matched with various foreign princes, including the future Kings of Portugal and Spain; and Grand Duke Michael of Russia, a brother of Tsar Nicholas II.

However, in the end, her choice of husband was not of the royal blood, but a commoner. She married a naval officer, Commander (later Admiral) Sir Alexander Ramsay (29 May 1881-8 October 1972), one of her father's aides de camp, and third son of the Earl of Dalhouise. She was married at Westminster Abbey on 27 February 1919. On the her wedding day, Princess Patricia of Connaught voluntarily relinquished the style of Royal Highness and the title of Princess of Great Britain and Ireland and assumed the style of "Lady Patricia Ramsay" with precedence immediately before the Marchionesses of England. She was not obligated to renounce her royal title. Rather, she wished to have a social status and rank closer to that of her husband.

Later Life

Despite her loss of royal title, she remained a member of the British Royal Family, remained in the line of succession, and attended all major royal events including weddings, funerals, and the coronations of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II in 1937 and 1953, respectively.

Lady Patricia was an accomplished artist, specialized in watercolors. The subjects of her works were based on her travel to tropical countries. Her style was influenced by Gauguin and Van Gogh because she studied under A.S. Hartrick who had known the artists. She died at Ribsden Holt, Windlesham, Surrey before her 88th birthday and a year and a half after her husband. Lady Patricia Ramsay and Admiral Alexander Ramsay are buried at Frogmore Royal Burial Ground.

Children

Her only child, Captain Alexander Ramsay of Mar (21 December1919-20 December2000), served in World War II, where he lost a leg in action in North Africa. He lived at Cairnbulg Castle in Aberdeenshire with his wife Flora Fraser, 21st Lady Saltoun (18 October 1930-), the only daughter of Alexander Fraser, 20th Lord Saltoun.

Titles and Honours

Titles from birth to death

* Her Royal Highness Princess Patricia of Connaught
* Lady Patricia Ramsay

Honours

Patirica held the honours of a Lady of the Imperial Order of the Crown of India (CI), a member of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert (ODM) and a Dame of Justice of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.
Old 23-04-05, 19:51
Art Johnson

Default Regimental Rivalries

As a follow up to Norm's post please go to the following site:

http://hometown.aol.com/dileas/dress.html

Aye Dileas

ps; Pukka,

pukka, also pucka \PUHK-uh\, adjective:
1. Authentic; genuine.
2. Good of its kind; first-class.

He talks like the quintessential pukka Englishman and quotes Chesterton and Kipling by the yard and yet he has chosen to live most of his adult life abroad.