MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 01-06-05, 13:22

Default Image of the French 2nd Armoured Division and Maj.-Gen. Jacques Leclerc

Hi,

I would say that in the period between the D-Day and liberation of Paris there were three Allied divisions that had the worst image. According to my personal estimation, in virtue of the Western books I know, I would say that this "ranking list", from the worst to "less bad", is as follows:

1. French 2nd Armoured Division.

2. Polish 1st Armoured Division.

3. US 90th Infantry Division.

4. The British unit? I have never seen British division chosen by historians and media to show it as an example of bad behavior and/or poor training, organization and experience.

5. The Canadian? Maybe 4th Armoured Division criticized permanently under GOC George Kitching Command or maybe 3rd Infantry Division though in this case it may be mainly GOC Keller's image problem?

One more time I want to emphasize the "image" word which is lesser historic and scientific category, more public relations category, and not necessarily must be truth.

What can we read about the French 2nd Armoured Division:

Quote:
Originally written by Gen. Omar N. Bradley

Maj.-Gen. Jacques Leclerc was notoriously undisciplined and did not speak English; and his sole ambition seemed to be to liberate Paris.

Source:
Omar N. Bradley & Blair Clay
A General's Life: An Autobiography by General of the Army Omar N. Bradley
Simon & Schuster, New York 1983
Quote:
Originally written by Henry Maule (the memoirs of US Lt. Tony Triumpho)

General Leclerc always adapted the corps plan to suit his own type of fighting of "liberating and celebrating". He set a pattern of action for his division. He would have a meting of his officers to set out his own battle plan. Invariably he would say: "Our objective is there but we will go on to here because I will contact my friend the mayor, or a friend in the underground, who will order a feast to be prepared for us". After taking an objective, there would be a splendid meal with wine and champagne.

Source:
Henry Maule
Normandy Breakout
New York Times Book Co., New York 1977
Quote:
Originally written by Henry Maule (the memoirs of US Capt. Thomas E. Cassidy)

I saw French soldiers spread over the fields, and spilling in and out of houses, and bivouacked with campfires going, and singing and feasting and wine flowing. The whole scene…

Source:
Henry Maule
Normandy Breakout
New York Times Book Co., New York 1977
I would like to ask you for similar quotations, both good and bad (I did not find good ones), and maybe your personal opinions?

Best regards

C.
Old 01-06-05, 21:15
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Image of the French 2nd Armoured Division and Maj.-Gen. Jacques Leclerc

Quote:
Originally posted by Crewman
I saw French soldiers spread over the fields, and spilling in and out of houses, and bivouacked with campfires going, and singing and feasting and wine flowing. The whole scene…
... sounds typically French to me! You can't really blame them, it's in their nature, just like British who live by their motto "when in doubt, brew up".

Excellent subject, will see if I can find similar quotes.

H.
Old 01-06-05, 22:14

I hope that our French colleagues or observers only will not feel it an affront. As you can see for a longer time I am able to look objectively also at our Polish 1st Armoured Division and to laugh at various things the unit did in the ETO. I admire these men and respect them but the history is only a history and no ideal units at the wars.

Best regards

C.