MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-07-05, 20:27

Default Rifle clips available???

All,

Wondering if anyone knows of where I may get Commonwealth-style rifle clips, either repro or original? I know of one guy in the U.K. that is selling them, but the price with currency exchange, shipping and duty will be an arm and a leg, so want to know if anyone else knows where I might find them? I need about 6 of them to complete my resto of my AB jeep and would appreciate any leads anyone can give.

Saying that, I know a guy that looked into getting them repro'd and unfortunatly he'd need to make about fifty of them to make them affordable (about $20 USD a pair) if there is enough demand I could look further into him actually getting them done and available to us. Let me know what you guys think...

Tim
Old 29-07-05, 05:37
AKA Roger Hull

www.sarcoinc.com or

www.e-gunparts.com

I assume you are talking about magazines for the Lee-Enfield series of rifles.
These places both have them.

Hope this helps.

Roger in Vegas
Old 29-07-05, 06:28

Roger,

I believe that Tim is talking about the "U" shaped clips that hold the rifles to the Brit Airborne Jeep fenders and on top of the dash panel. I think there should be one on each fender and then on the body panel just in front of the door area. there woudl also be two in the other place that Ive mentioned.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 29-07-05, 06:33
M38A1 CDN3

OK, Tim...to what do you refer when you say "Commonwealth rifle clips"?

Is it the five round stripper clip, or the holding device used in vehicles?

Let's start from there, and perhaps we can help.
Old 29-07-05, 18:30
GM Fox I

Default What a Hoot!!!

Such a graphic display of cultural differences!!

To our American friend, of course a 'clip' is one of those banana shaped things (magazines) attached to guns that hold 'cartridges' (rounds).

To an ex-Canadian infantry type (yes you, Jon) born in the era of Lee Enfields, a 'clip' is the stripper clip that holds 5 rounds for use in the charger guide.

All happless Mr. Sullivan was looking for was the rubber coated U-shaped clips that keep rifles from flopping about in old army trucks.
Old 30-07-05, 06:11
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Rifle clips available???

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Sullivan
Wondering if anyone knows of where I may get Commonwealth-style rifle clips, either repro or original?
I took the clips out of my 5/4 ton to use in my GPW. If you know someone with an CUCV you might ask them if they'll part with the clips. They aren't exactly as shown in this thread, but for lack of originals, they'll do nicely. and yes, getting people to stop calling detachable box magazines "clips" is an endless task!
Old 30-07-05, 06:56
M38A1 CDN3

Hi, Dave, y'all!

Rifle clips in a CUCV???

We never had 'em in the Canadian Forces.

CUCVs (as far as I understand) were purpose built for us and had no such attachment.

Did y'all get a bunch of these beasties as a result of some cross-border agreement?

If you're familiar with the vehicle type, you'll recall that it sounded like it was missing a gear, at highway speed.

Yeah...clips, mags, chargers...semantics and Hollywood versus reality!
Old 30-07-05, 09:55
Bluebell

Default Your bias

Jon, Personally I don't mind whether you semantic or anti-semantic. The way I see it every day is the start of a new error.....?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 30-07-05, 16:09
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Rifle clips in a CUCV???

We never had 'em in the Canadian Forces.

CUCVs (as far as I understand) were purpose built for us and had no such attachment.

Did y'all get a bunch of these beasties as a result of some cross-border agreement?

If you're familiar with the vehicle type, you'll recall that it sounded like it was missing a gear, at highway speed.
Au contraire mon frere, I purchased a 1976 5/4 ton from Captain (ret'd) Ian Newby who purchased several vehicles from Crown Assets in Richmond, B.C. Remember, I'm the disgruntled ex-western Canadian. The truck had two clips to hold the C1 rifle between the bucket seats. You're right about the truck sounding like it was missing top gear, it had a very high (numerically) gear ratio and those 16 1/2 inch rims precluded installing tall tires.
Another misused term that drives me crazy is when someone runs out of ammo and hollers, "I need more BULLETS!" What moron would only take bullets into the field?!? What do they plan on doing? Chucking them at the enemy?!? Maybe Geoff Worst Spinning-bull should start a new thread about most commonly mis-used terms? Waddya think Geoff?
Old 30-07-05, 17:18
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Another misused term that drives me crazy is when someone runs out of ammo and hollers, "I need more BULLETS!" What moron would only take bullets into the field?!? What do they plan on doing? Chucking them at the enemy?!? Maybe Geoff Worst Spinning-bull should start a new thread about most commonly mis-used terms? Waddya think Geoff?
Yer in fine form today, Derek me ol' trout! Note that writers, actors etc who have been-there-done-that-bought-the-t-shirt NEVER screw this up... it's only the idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. I saw an unmemorable program on TV last week about some Canadian coming back from WW2... and some asshole in the wardrobe department had had his corporal stripes sewn on upside down, and homemade flashes from a non-existent unit positioned UNDER "Canada" flashes! I bloody near chucked my drink through the TV screen before sanity reinstated itself (haven't paid for the TV yet and it would be a waste of good vodka), but what still goes through my mind is that there is SO much expertise out there, yet these people keep screwing up. I should go looking for a job...
Old 30-07-05, 22:25

Quote:
I should go looking for a job...
What!!!!! and then who would look after us and keep us on the straight and narrow? :

cheers
Cliff
Old 02-08-05, 22:32
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default CUCV

Hi Guys:

The 1976 Chev 5/4 ton family was not the CUCV. The CUCV was the later square headlight Chevs with the diesel engine.

The US had thousands of CUCV and Canada bought a batch for the militia. They were issued in NATO camouflage while the 5/4 tons were issued in Canadian Pine Tree camouflage.

CUCVs issued in Canada had the US rifle brackets (there's another term to add to the pile) which included a large "L" shaped piece that folded over to hold the rifle in place.

The 5/4 tons originally had the brakets for the FN between the seats on that annoying bar that made sitting on a milk crate even more uncomfortable. The C7 (M16 clone) wouldn't fit the FN bracket and most were removed. As Sapper has noted, the FN brackets will hold a Lee Enfield.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 04-08-05, 23:45

Default Thanks for those who clarified...

All,

Thanks for all those who clarified, and yes, it is true that I do know the difference between a clip, a cartridge and a magazine in relation to rifles, and KNEW I should have added a photo to describe what I was talking about, I just assumed that everyone would understand what I meant

Saying that, aren't I lucky, was mentioning it to a machinist friend of mine, and doesn't he tell me that he has a box of them at work, apparently they do a bit of contract work for the gov't and produced a whole pile of them. I'll have my choice of rubbered or un-rubbered rifle holding clips A happy ending after all! hehehe...

Tim
Old 21-10-05, 00:59
M38A1 CDN3

Default CUCV Rifle Holders

I'm re-visiting this thread in order to offer an apology.

Earlier, I said that "in Canadian CUCVs, we never had 'em". (Reference rifle holders).

Well, I just ran across a surplus CUCV here in town, looked in the cab, and there they were!

Whilst I was part of Log Wog Admin Coy at the time of the CUCV, I might not have noticed such an attachment, since, being REMFs behind the pointy end, we were only issued halberds and pikes which didn't fit said fixture.

Scary... "B" Ech people having sharp instruments under their control.

I love my country but I hate my government.
Old 26-10-05, 00:08
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Gummint

Hi Pronto:

Some wise man once said, "...a people should not fear their government; the government should fear its people!"

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords