MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 01-05-07, 08:32

Default outfit, cooking, small detachment

I've had wonderful help here before, so I thought I'd try a new question. I just found something intresting for the food lovers among us. Or at least I think it is. There's something called "outfit, cooking, small detachment" that I belive to be a smaller portable field kitchen. Does anyone have experience with this? I found it at http://www.norman-d-landing.com/index2.htm

From before I've gathered a couple of m(19)37 field kitchens. Still looking for more kitchen stuff. Also intrested in photos of such tems in use.

Marty
Old 01-05-07, 20:27
M38A1 CDN3

Default Field Stoves/Ranges

Greetings, Marty:

I own both an Outfit, 20 Man cook set and an M37 Field Range.

The 20 man small detachment unit is virtually complete and works very well, when you read the lighting instructions very carefully!!!

One thing that I noted is that the 1 quart dipper simply will not fit into the location where it's supposed to go. The utensil wrap and cutlery bag just won't allow the dipper to fit...so I relegated the dipper to the M37 stove.

Speaking of which, I'm in the process of refurbishing one right now. Doing mainly cosmetic work to make the unit more presentable, then will come the challenge to get the burner fired up. The burner has sat for a while with stale gas so I think I can foresee a varnish problem.

I've been haunting flea markets and such in the vain hope that I may find some original utensils and cutlery to supplement that which I already have. One major shortfall I have is the lack of the 10 gallon small pot which nests into the 15 gallon pot.

Anyway, that's what restoring stuff is all about...one never knows what's just around the corner, in order to make your possessions become more attractive and utile.

Regards...PS I'm a lousy cook, so I don't know why I'm interested in restoring old field cook sets!
Old 01-05-07, 20:47
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Field Stoves/Ranges

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Regards...PS I'm a lousy cook, so I don't know why I'm interested in restoring old field cook sets!
I COULD say you have too much time on your hands, but the REAL reason is you're going to shanghai me into cooking at CC6. Got news for ya though, if ya do that you're stuck with bully stew....
Old 01-05-07, 21:17
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Field Stoves/Ranges

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I COULD say you have too much time on your hands, but the REAL reason is you're going to shanghai me into cooking at CC6. Got news for ya though, if ya do that you're stuck with bully stew....
Old 03-05-07, 07:34

Default Photos?

Hi there Jon!

You don't have to have a lot of skills to cook good food, you just have to enjoy doing it!

Do you have any photos of the outfit?

Marty
Old 09-05-07, 04:01
M38A1 CDN3

Marty:

My skill sets do not currently include the ability to post pics on the forum, even though Sunray tried to teach me.

Sigh...perhaps at a later time.