MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 27-05-05, 07:54
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default First Special Service Force, Fort Harrison, Helena Montana

In May of 2005, members of the Edmonton Police Pipe Band traveled to Helena and toured the FSSF museum, played at the FSSF memorial and had the opportunity to meet 85 year old Canadian FSSF veteran, Sgt. Joe Glass. Joe was originally from Sarnia, Ontario and moved to Helena after the war.

Check the web page,

http://www.epspipeband.ca/Helena.htm

Al
Old 28-05-05, 04:34
M38A1 CDN3

P 343 of Burnham's "First Special Service Force", has JM Glass of East Helena, Montana listed under the Roster of Enlisted Men.

Old 28-05-05, 16:35
RIP

Default First Special Service Force on TV

As a coincidence ,watched the documentary on the unit yesterday on History Channel.The day the unit was disbanded,the Canadian officer ordered the Canadian troops standing at attention in the intermingled ranks with their US counterparts, to step forward and form ranks for transport movement.Only 150 survivors stepped forward,and as they moved off to their trucks,as one veteran interviewed said,"their was not a dry eye in the whole unit"The US soldiers still in formation,left open the spaces in their ranks that their Canadian brothers had recently left vacant,without reforming ranks.Very interesting documentary.I highly recommend it to everyone.
Old 28-05-05, 16:48
Vets Dottir

Default The Devils Brigade

Hi Al, Jon, and Garry and Me Darlin' Shadster,

I recently watched THE DEVILS BRIGADE movie ... and also learned soon after that TOMMY PRINCE was with them on that "action" on that mountain in Italy. I'm sorry I can't recall the name of the "action or mountain". I read somewhere that the character in the movie called "CHIEF " was supposedly portaying TOMMY PRINCE.

Does anyone know the movie and how much it actually portrayed reality? I think it was made in 1968.

Thanks,

Karmen
Old 28-05-05, 18:10
RIP

Default Devil's Brigade

You're right Karmen,I saw a documentary on Tommy Price a while back and Chief in the movie is portraying him.

Shad just woke up on my den floor,gave him your regards,and he sends you a growl,closely followed by a woof.Actually,when I tell him "Speak",he growls first,then gives one woof.
Hey!It's noon,the sun's across the yardarm,think I'll go have a
Old 16-06-05, 18:20
John Dallimore

Karmen-The 1968 movie was VERY loosely based on reality and the veterans of the unit resigned themselves to say"At least they made a movie about us!"

Despite having Gen. Frederick(FSSF) on the set for the filming and many other advisors, they did a hollywood production of it and presented many misleading ideas about the Force.

John Dallimore
FSSF LHG

Last edited by 20387774; 22-06-05 at 04:32.