MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 20-11-22, 01:25

Default Universal Carrier shafts !

Dear friends:
After rebuild the breaks (from a UC) I found a lot of troubles to put in the half shafts (both) inside de diferencial !
There are a trick to do that
Thanks in advance !
Old 20-11-22, 05:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joćo Freitas View Post
Dear friends:
After rebuild the breaks (from a UC) I found a lot of troubles to put in the half shafts (both) inside de diferencial !
There are a trick to do that
Thanks in advance !
Did you try turning the differential slightly ?
Old 20-11-22, 06:17
carrier mech

It is easiest with the tracks broken so you can rotate the brake drums as required. Or as Micheal suggests, with the ignition off and the transmission in gear, have someone jog the starter.
Old 20-11-22, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
It is easiest with the tracks broken so you can rotate the brake drums as required. Or as Micheal suggests, with the ignition off and the transmission in gear, have someone jog the starter.
Thanks for your kind help.
At the moment we try almost Everything.
We have the diferencial not connected to the gearbox, so it is easy to turn it by hand, and still the shafts do not get in
The works stop for the weekend and to rest a little.
Whend the work not goes easy and Everything is against us we must stop for a litle.
We will keep sending news about this !
Have all a good sunday
Thanks
Old 20-11-22, 17:40
carrier mech

You do have to kind of teeter the end of the axle upwards as well as rotate the axle shaft slightly to get it into the splines of the differential. I can't say I have ever had any problem doing this, but over the decades I have likely done this thousands of times on various vehicles of similar design full floating axle.

Once you get it into the splines, you should be able to rotate the axle shaft to line up with the hub's studs. Since the transmission isn't installed, you will be able to do the same on the second side, since the differential action of the differential will allow you to rotate the axles independently of each other. It's not so easy if you had a positive traction type differential....on those you would have to rotate the drum to line up the studs.

Good luck...we have all been frustrated at one time or other when something doesn't seem to work like it should. I can't count the times I was frustrated with a job late into the evening, and a good nights sleep seems to solve the problem.
Old 20-11-22, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
You do have to kind of teeter the end of the axle upwards as well as rotate the axle shaft slightly to get it into the splines of the differential. I can't say I have ever had any problem doing this, but over the decades I have likely done this thousands of times on various vehicles of similar design full floating axle.

Once you get it into the splines, you should be able to rotate the axle shaft to line up with the hub's studs. Since the transmission isn't installed, you will be able to do the same on the second side, since the differential action of the differential will allow you to rotate the axles independently of each other. It's not so easy if you had a positive traction type differential....on those you would have to rotate the drum to line up the studs.

Good luck...we have all been frustrated at one time or other when something doesn't seem to work like it should. I can't count the times I was frustrated with a job late into the evening, and a good nights sleep seems to solve the problem.
Hi Rob !
We work for the portuguese military museum of military vehicles, and many, many axles we already put in, even in our private work (our own cars). It is a easy job.
This one puzzles me (puzzle us) . . .
After the weekend we have a “little” work to do that is pick-up a M60 (the last one from almost 90) in a trailer from its previous unit to the museum.
After that, lets take care of the axes.
Thanks !
Old 21-11-22, 18:11

I wonder if there could be a burr on the splines inside from possible previous damage at one time preventing the splines from simply lining up and slipping in place?
On one of my M37 trucks I had to remove a broken part of the end of an axle shaft that was still stuck in the splines of the differential. I believe I was able to cheat at removing it by taking out the other axle shaft on the opposite side and simply send a rod down the axle housing and pop it out but not sure if the carrier differential is open to be able to do this or not. It’s been too long for me to remember!
Anyways, maybe helps with your dilemma.
Regards,Derk
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 23-11-22, 00:26

Derk
Thanks for your advice.
Everything is clean and from one side we can see the other side perfectly.
Next saturday is working day on military vehicles. Lets see what happens . . .
Regards
Joćo
Old 26-11-22, 22:53

Everything have one explanation (I hope)
We are working, at the same time, in several projects:

1-The Universal Carrier (for 4 years).
2-US Comando 4x4 (about 1 year).
3-A 1944 GMC (about 2 years).
Among several others, like a Sherman Grizzly . . .

The GMC axles are very similar to the UC ones
Then, someone change and mixed the location of the GMC and UC axles

So those things can not be mixed ! And do not fitt if changed (Now you know ! ! !)

Now all the parts find their home perfectly

Thanks for all your very kind advice
Joćo