MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-05, 19:05
John Dallimore

Default CMP gauges

What model of CMP had round gauges instead of the larger panel I see in most of them?

John
Old 06-01-05, 19:24
carrier mech

Not so much what model, but when. Somewhere in 43/44 they went to the universal commercial guages instead of their respective Ford/Chevy commercial vehicle panels.
Old 07-01-05, 05:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Ford round gauges

Most of the late instrument panels I have seen with original gauges have had the gauge glass broken and the face of the gauge rusted up. Most replacements use Jeep/Dodge/GMC US style gauges, but the original Canadian gauges were slightly different. The pic below is from a 1945 Ford F60L, while the speedo is a US Waltham like Jeeps, the other gauges are different from US gauges with small shields over the needle bases:
Attached Thumbnails
img_0722-2.jpg  
Old 15-01-05, 15:17
John Dallimore

Thanks guys. I'm trying to find a waltham speedometer but wasn't sure what year of truck to start looking for.

John
Old 15-01-05, 22:55

Default Chevy HUP late `45 Instruments

The covered needle may have been just Ford or a different supplier. The picture below is the instrument panel of my HUP with a build day of "June. 7/45" I don't think that any of the gages had been replaced. I did have to replace the speedometer because the odometer failed.

From time to time the trip odometer style speedometer come up for sale here in the United States check Supply Line they are the same as used in the MB and GPW “Jeep”.
Attached Thumbnails
hup instrument 1978.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 16-01-05, 01:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Gauges

Phil, your gauges have been Americanised. Your Temp and Oil gauges are mechanical with a capilliary to the engine (should be electrical) and the dash lighting covers are from a Dodge or GMC.
Old 16-01-05, 06:46
In Vino Veritas

Default Electrical temp gauge

Like this NOS WWII electrical gauge? I have a handfull in cosmoline if someone is interested.
Sean

Attached Images

M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 16-01-05, 21:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Phil, your gauges have been Americanised. Your Temp and Oil gauges are mechanical with a capilliary to the engine (should be electrical) and the dash lighting covers are from a Dodge or GMC.
I wonder if the Chevy CMPs supplied down to Australia did use electric temperature and oil pressure. This might have been done because of the trucks being shipped in the knocked down state. The temperature gage units are particularly prone to damage.

Checking both parts and manual, it would appear that Chevy CMPs gages both the early (square unit) and later (round individual gages) had mechanical oil pressure and temperature gages. In the early style (square unit) where the standard civilian instrument cluster unit with the oil pressure unit feeding from an 1/8 inch line reading from the oil pressure regulator plate. The temperature gage unit used the standard Chevy capillary tube with the sending glob in the fitting at the end of the block. The temperature gage units are a pain because they are a single unit including the tube.

The picture in my first shows the instruments as I aquired the truck in 1979 at that point I do not believe that any of the instruments had been changed. You are correct that the same style gages are used in the later CCKW including the insturment lights.

In the parts listing below you will note that there were different lengths listed for the temperature gage for the different cap styles.
Attached Thumbnails
parts book page.jpg  
Attached Images

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 17-01-05, 07:50

Default Gauges

Chev`s always had the same gauges as a CCKW GMC , so the temp. and oil presure are mechanical , also the dash lights are the same as GMC,Dodge ,Jeep .
Ford had Electrical gauges , and the special Ford Dash lights .
Chev. had also the civilian square Choke and Throttle knobs till the last model.
Old 17-01-05, 14:22
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Phil, this is interesting as Chevs are not my Forte. Looking through my parts book and manual show the Temp gauge to be electrical in both types of instruments, and yes, the Oil gauge seems to be mechanical on the late type gauges. Apologies.
Scan below is from MB-C1:
Attached Thumbnails
scan10006.jpg  
Old 17-01-05, 14:41

Default gauges

The electrical round Temp. gauge must be an Australian vrsion , because I have seen Dozens of unrestored CMP Chevs over here , and they all have the GM Mechanical gauges .
The Ford ones all have that typical little covered piece over the needle , but some of them have needles with an arrow style wile others have a plain one .
Old 11-01-15, 01:32

Default NOS Ford instrument cluster

Hi All,
I was lucky enough to purchase this a couple of weeks ago. Initially I wanted the speedo as it is the same as that used in a Jeep. I had a closer look and the whole thing appears to be NOS with the speedo having a printed date of 1944. I then did a little research and found this thread so I identified it as being for a Ford Blitz. The puzzling question I have is that the underside of the dash is painted a Stone Brown colour. Were some blitz's painted brown from factory?.

Regards,
Brett
Attached Images

Old 11-01-15, 02:02
rwprince

I call that colour KHAKI...and it is commonly, the "original" paint on most NOS CMP parts I have ever had or sold. I think your speedo is a "King-Seeley".
BTW....Chevs used American AC gauges...same as GMC 6x6, etc. FYI.
Old 11-01-15, 02:33

Default Guages

Hi Lendlease,
The colour doesn't present well in the pictures. It is a real light brown colour compared with say the Khaki more commonly used. I have other Blitz parts and they are painted a similar Khaki green to that of WW2 U.S. vehicles. Yes the speedo is "King-Seeley" - a very nice NOS one.

Regards,
Brett.