MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-03-14, 06:48

Default International K5 by Corowa 2016

G'day folks,

Having posted a thread in the Softskin Forum about my International K5, I thought this might be a more appropriate forum to have an ongoing restoration thread. So, all progress (however glacial) will be posted here.

I'm also engaging in research to find out not only what I can about this vehicle, but about the whole story of Australian military vehicles being released into civillian ownership after the Second World War. Several forum members have been extremely patient and helpful, and I've been able to start the investigation into what happened.

But first, the truck. I may be repeating my pics from the other thread, but I think it's good to set a benchmark before I start work.

*Edit 15 March 2015* Having been to Corowa yesterday, and coming home enthused, I've decided to do everything in my power to get this truck ready to take to Corowa next year. Can it be done?! I have a year!

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
k5555.jpg   K5_12.jpg   K5a.jpg   K5b.jpg   K5i.jpg  

Last edited by Matt Austin; 15-03-15 at 02:32. Reason: Changed title to reflect the plan, and added info
Old 25-03-14, 06:52

Some detail pics...
Attached Thumbnails
K5h.jpg   K5g.jpg   K5d.jpg   K5f.jpg   K5j.jpg  

Old 13-05-14, 00:10

Well, not a great deal to report since March, but I'm slowly moving forward.

A bit of elbow grease helped to remove sixty-plus years of dirt, showing that the original paint underneath is still relatively good. At this stage, I'm happy to get it going and keep the original paint. So long as it's mechanically reliable, a clean-up will do me.

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
trr.jpg   Washed.jpg   Green.jpg  
Old 13-05-14, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Austin View Post
At this stage, I'm happy to get it going and keep the original paint. So long as it's mechanically reliable, a clean-up will do me.
I agree Matt, the old paint gives it heaps of character. You can always repaint it down the track if you get the urge.
Old 15-03-15, 03:16

Well, I've been quiet on the forum, but active away. After gathering parts, advice, and information, it's time to get active again. With thanks to those who have been kind. Over the last few months, I've soaked the engine and plugs with a diesel/oil solution, and have been very liberal with WD40 to loosen everything up. I've been reading the workshop manual that Keith kindly found, and I've been talking with a mechanic, who rebuilds old cars and bikes. I'm learning. I've also picked up a second K5, with a steel cab, for parts use.

I went to Corowa yesterday. Was humbled by the welcome and kind words I received, from people I know and a few I'd never met. Being the newbie, I figured that I'd wander around by myself, but I spent a lot of time chatting with friendly people. That welcoming and friendly feeling is a credit to so many of those there. Thank you.

After seeing several hundred military vehicles, I decided to get off my bum, and I must've been excited when I got home. I spoke with my very supportive wife, who decided that we need to make a plan, so we can get the truck ready for 2016. And so, it gets busy!

I've arranged to have the timberwork replicated as a training project, for material costs alone. That'll be very handy. I've taken hundreds of pictures, showing as much detail of the truck as possible, so I'll be able to work out how everything goes back together.

This thread will be where I post actual work on this truck, while the thread in the main forum will be for handy discussions about the type in general.

So, it continues. Please excuse my enthusiasm! As I say, I'm open to suggestions, thoughts, and corrections. I'd like to see at least one WW2-dated International at Corowa next year.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by Matt Austin; 15-03-15 at 13:41. Reason: Typos
Old 15-03-15, 10:55

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Austin View Post
4) The General Service body. Is this body similar to the other types, such as the Dodge and Chev varieties? The metal brackets and structure could possibly be a match, and I have nothing above the floor, apart from the vertical section against the cab.

Cheers,
Matt
The GS bodies were very similar to each other between makes.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 15-03-15, 13:39

Thanks for that, Cliff. It's appreciated

I've responded in my other thread, which covers general discussions about these vehicles. Sorry if I'm being confusing, I'm actually trying not to confuse!

Cheers,
Matt

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...t=21828&page=2