MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-09, 17:50

Default Cab 13 door knob

A while ago it was mentioned in a thread that wasn't related to doors or knobs that it would be helpful if photos of the door knob used on Cab 13 doors could be posted so that people could look for suitable substitutes (or new replacements).

The pictured knob was on one of the doors that came with my C15A. The metal tang from the latch mechanism goes into the plain legs of the opening. The dimensions are: largest diameter 1", base diameter 5/8" (plus), height 7/8", height of dome above rim 1/8", rim thickness 1/8", opening for mechanism tang 1/8" x 7/16". I've no idea why the opening perpendicular to the tang is such a fancy shape unless the knob had a second aplication. The measurements were not taken to high precision. I haven't checked whether the same part number shows for Ford and Chev.

Does any one have ideas for a modern source, either identical or capable of modification? I would rather not cut down the latch mechanism to fit a round holed knob.
Attached Thumbnails
13DoorKnob4a.jpg   13DoorKnob5a.jpg   13DoorKnob6a.jpg   13DoorKnob8a.jpg  
Old 05-04-09, 18:24
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Knob Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
A while ago it was mentioned in a thread that wasn't related to doors or knobs that it would be helpful if photos of the door knob used on Cab 13 doors could be posted so that people could look for suitable substitutes (or new replacements).

The pictured knob was on one of the doors that came with my C15A. The metal tang from the latch mechanism goes into the plain legs of the opening. The dimensions are: largest diameter 1", base diameter 5/8" (plus), height 7/8", height of dome above rim 1/8", rim thickness 1/8", opening for mechanism tang 1/8" x 7/16". I've no idea why the opening perpendicular to the tang is such a fancy shape unless the knob had a second aplication. The measurements were not taken to high precision. I haven't checked whether the same part number shows for Ford and Chev.

Does any one have ideas for a modern source, either identical or capable of modification? I would rather not cut down the latch mechanism to fit a round holed knob.
Grant..
If you could borrow one of those knobs to Jordan Baker ,he could manufacture them up by molding a new batch of knobs..The lad is a genius when it comes to little parts like that..
Could probably personalize a few for you with GB inset on the top..
but I imagine he could use a few too..
could get rid of lots of them..
Old 06-04-09, 05:05

Default How about......

.....making a mold of the vulcanized rubber used for casting lead soldiers..... and make them of pewter/lead....... melts at low temp..... and would not crack like plastic........once painted... you would not be able to ell them apart.

Let's turn the barn into a science lab....... Kaboom!!!!!

PS...... Back when I was in TO ..... I did cast some pewter buttons for my 1812 uniform..... so the learning curve would not be so steep !!!

..... would you like some grenades with that ...?

BooBee
Canada
Old 06-04-09, 05:11
GM Fox I

Default Original??

I've never seen a door knob like that one on a CMP before. There are the usual ones for Chev (brown, kind of squarish) and Ford (pinkish and 'ribbed'). Brian Asbury had some of the Chev ones and may still. The Ford ones were a little harder to find.
Old 06-04-09, 05:13

Hi guys

Thanks Alex for the kind words. Yes it would be very easy to cast these knobs in resin. The best would be to use a NOS one but it would be possible to clean that original one up.

Bob, I can get resin and dyes to make a hard durable "plastic" that would be in the same or close to colour of the orignal. Pewter would work but then you would always have the problem on paint chips and that they are metal and not plastic.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-04-09, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I've never seen a door knob like that one on a CMP before. There are the usual ones for Chev (brown, kind of squarish) and Ford (pinkish and 'ribbed'). Brian Asbury had some of the Chev ones and may still. The Ford ones were a little harder to find.
Your description of the Chev knobs sounds like the choke and throttle knobs listed for 1939 and 1940 Chevs (described as "rose tan" in some catalogs).
It sounds as if the press on knob to a rectangular tang was at least a semi-standard design since there now seem to have been at least three different moulds made to make them.
The design seems better suited for a sideways load than a pulling load, although it took a fair effort to take the knob off the tang. Any ideas what else they were used on? Think about knobs on almost anything. The tang seems too heavy duty for the old style toasters that had a flip down door on each side.
Old 06-04-09, 15:46

Default Some where I have seen a match

Some where in the past I remember coming across a knob like this in a catalog but have not been able to find it. I'm sure this was a standard shape for a knob.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-04-09, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Some where in the past I remember coming across a knob like this in a catalog but have not been able to find it. I'm sure this was a standard shape for a knob.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers Phil
Thank you Phil, the basic knob shape looks very common, the tang receptacle on the back seems less common than a round hole. The round holed wersion exists for choke and throttle cables (presumably threaded inside??) and for window cranks (pressed on to a rivet with circumferential ridges). I've checked some Chev parts suppliers and McMaster Carr online without finding the "right" knobs. I haven't checked my parts books to find out if the knobs have Chev or Ford numbers (and if they are CMP unique or generic parts), nor have I checked the Master Parts catalogs to see if they have other known applications. The research results will follow.
Old 06-04-09, 18:12

Default Vent Knob on cab over

Hi Grant

FORD Knob - C29Q-812086

Chev group number 16.245 and 16.130 T-40854

I've been through my Chevy Mapleleaf master parts book but have not found the cross-over to the non military. When I need one I thought seriously about using the correct shape and milling out the slot on the back.

I'm surprised that in 30 years I have not lost one though.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 08-04-09, 03:04
GM Fox I

Default Chev Knobs

A comparison of Chev door and choke/throttle knobs. Ford were different in that the door knobs were 'ringed' and quite reddish.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020158.jpg  
Old 08-04-09, 03:57

The knob that was on my door looks similar in external shape (but I have no idea if the inside or dimensions match) to a knob I found at www.obschevy.com listed as part number CET53V00 described as "47-50 Side vent knob", the colour for this is given as Maroon which is close to the parts of the knob I found that aren't cracked, faded and abraded.
Old 08-04-09, 18:31

Default Knob

I agree, it looks like the knob for the cowl vent in my 51 Chev panel. I will see if I can get one off to compare the hole in the back.

Paul
Old 09-04-09, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Singleton View Post
I agree, it looks like the knob for the cowl vent in my 51 Chev panel. I will see if I can get one off to compare the hole in the back.
Don't be too vigorous in taking it off, I wouldn't want you to break it in the quest for knowledge. We might be able to find out almost as much if you were to measure the shaft/tang going into it and if access permits take a photo (consider using a mirror if access is too tight otherwise).

Grant