MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-09-06, 23:46

Default Rusted mig welding wire

Time to put your mig welding wire in a sealed container with some fresh desiccant to prevent surface rust, if you like I live in a climate where this time of year brings sudden changes in the weather.
Had to throw away most of 10lb spool that had developed surface rust in the last couple of weeks because I had left it in the welder. I had used the welder only two weeks ago with no problems then went to use it today and as soon as the wire in the welding cable had been used up the wire feed started stuttering. Checking the wire I discovered that it was covered with a fine covering of rust. The culprit periods of cold temperatures (heats not on in the shop) followed by periods of warm damp periods result condensation and on metal surfaces. This has happened before and the only fix is to keep the wire stored in a tightly sealed container with desiccant. Ammo cans with good seals or Tupperware are good.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 28-09-06, 23:59

Default Mig wire

Problem in the UK as well Phil,

but you can reduce the problem and leave the wire in the machine by doing the following.

Take a clothes peg and a small amount of fine wire wool, fold the wool into the peg and attach the peg to the wire. When you feed the wire it is pulled through the wire wool which cleans the surface to a bright finish. The make of your machine will determine where you apply the peg but ideally it should be before the feed rollers as rust will make them slip.

Pete
Old 29-09-06, 03:32

Default Another solution.....

First step is to store the newly bought spools in zip lock plastic bags as soon as you buy them....

BOC sells a felt cylinder about 1 1/2 inch long by 3/4 inch in diametre.....said felt cylinder is cut/slit and clips - fits over the wire between drive wheels and spool...... as you weld the wire is scrubbed gently by the felt.... I change them once per spool........a few occasinal shots of WD - 40 on the felt and "voila" no problemo..... I have taken to the occasional spray of WD 40 on the spool as well...... my welder sits in the barn year round....... will take a picture of the contraption tomorrow...... and by the way I buy and use the cheap stuff from Princess Auto.

Phil have you encountered the same problem with flux core and with solid wire for gas use or only one kind????

Now I am worried and will need to check tomorrow.....darn you Phil.

Bob C
Canada
Old 29-09-06, 05:31
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Well, that means mine's likely to be all cruddy now - I'll have to check.
Old 29-09-06, 15:09

Default Problem persists even with the wire wipe

Problem persists even with the wire wipe. Good point about the wire wipe, but in this case the surface rust was to much for it and soon coated the felt wipe with fine rust dust. One temptation when this wire stutter occurs is to increase the wire feed tension, which only results in birds nesting. I’ve also discovered that rust increases the wear rate on the liner for the welding cable. If you are using the plastic type liner it will even cut through the liner. Keeping the wire spool in a sealed container with desiccant seems to be the solution I buy the desiccant in bulk 1 gallon can at the craft store. Sold for drying flowers; I sewn up a couple of bags out cotton filled them with desiccant. Every now and then I bake the bags at 200 degrees in the oven for and hour to dry them out completely. Use to use the same trick to store open boxes of stick welding rod to keep them dry the weld so much better without the moisture in them.
`45 HUP
Old 30-09-06, 03:54

Default Maybe.....

...someone is pi** on your welder when you are not around....

I have never encountered rust like that..... is this the first roll that did that...... could it be defective in its copper coating on the wire?

Who else has had this problem....???

Maybe you need to weld more often....

Bob C.
Canada
Old 30-09-06, 07:31
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Rusted mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Time to put your mig welding wire in a sealed container with some fresh desiccant to prevent surface rust, if you like I live in a climate where this time of year brings sudden changes in the weather.
Had to throw away most of 10lb spool that had developed surface rust in the last couple of weeks because I had left it in the welder. I had used the welder only two weeks ago with no problems then went to use it today and as soon as the wire in the welding cable had been used up the wire feed started stuttering. Checking the wire I discovered that it was covered with a fine covering of rust. The culprit periods of cold temperatures (heats not on in the shop) followed by periods of warm damp periods result condensation and on metal surfaces. This has happened before and the only fix is to keep the wire stored in a tightly sealed container with desiccant. Ammo cans with good seals or Tupperware are good.
Here's an old-school trick welders from the very wet West Coast of Canada have used for decades: get an old, non working refigerator from a yard sale or flea market, usually they're free for the taking. Make sure the seals are still good. Jumper the light switch so the light stays on. The heat from the small lamp inside the insulated fridge keeps all your welding rods and wire dry and corrosion free. It's a cheap and easy fix.

CHIMO!
Old 30-09-06, 20:12

Default Re: Maybe.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
...someone is pi** on your welder when you are not around....

I have never encountered rust like that..... is this the first roll that did that...... could it be defective in its copper coating on the wire?

Who else has had this problem....???

Maybe you need to weld more often....

Bob C.
No this has happend to me before, trying to think if it has always been from the same supplier? When ever it happens it always is just after we have had a several day cold spell followed by damp warm foggy weather. Type of weather were you see condensation on stuff in the shop.
`45 HUP
Old 01-10-06, 03:13

Default The trick here is.....

....for Phil to get a walkin' fridge big enought to keep is welder in..... personnaly I would rather keep my beer in there.

Phil ... I know the kind of weather you talk about..... sudden temperature changes.... I have seen the calcium chloride filled rear tire of the tractor sweat up to the water line and the welder is on the floor next to it with no problem......

.... I think you are toooo close to the coast and you are getting salt sea air into the garage.... does go good with the crackers that salted sea air.....

What about a small wattage light inside the cover of your welder to mimick the fridge concept......???

I can't help but think that the light copper coating on the wleding wire is defective......

....but then you could be a purist and revert to period gas welding circa 1940.......

Bob
Canada
Old 03-10-06, 03:45

Default Pictures of wire wipes....

Hi Phil

Sorry the pictures seem a bit out of focus.....

First shows the felt cylinder and the metal clip that holds it on the wire..... I usually spray old WD 40 on the felt and more once in a while.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
hpim6767crop.jpg  
Canada
Old 03-10-06, 03:48

Default One more...

This is what it looks like when installed ....... fits over the wire..... and usually runs up against the drive wheel.

Has always worked nice for me. They sell them by the half dozen bags in welding shops.

Being nervous now.... I gave my spool a quick shot of WD 40 just in case.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
hpim6772cropandresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 03-10-06, 04:36
In Vino Veritas

Default wd40

The problem with WD 40 on welding wire is you may introduce porosity or carbon inclusions in to the weld. Its recommended that you clean a joint to be welded from rust/slag/oils/dirt etc to get a good clean weld. But the dry wipe is recommended. Most higher end machines have one included.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff