MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-10, 04:59

Default Ferret

While scanning some images from Petawawa 1982, I found this photograph of Ferret 54-82620 just prior to disposal.

Old 12-08-10, 05:19

Default Nice one

Nice Pic Ed, among other projects I am currently restoring a Mk1 and Mk2 ex Australian Ferrets. Neither is as complete as the one you have posted up. I don't even have a side stowage bins for my vehicles...

Cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 07-12-10, 01:21

oh wow, I cant wait to find out which vehicle my c/s 31 is, could even be that one!

R
Old 18-12-10, 06:54

Looking at my records, Ferret 54-82620 was:

Hull # 452 (this number plus "B" and month and last digit of year) was stamped on small metal data plate spot welded to the inside of the hull, behind the driver's right shoulder. (Source - Internet old Ferret Heaven)

British War Department number 37 BA 26 (remember the spaces) This was stamped on the cast aluminum dataplate that was bolted over top of the abopve plate. Canada used this as a serial (VIN) number. The WD numbers were assigned but the vehicles apparently came new from UK. (Thanks to Clive Law for that info) It would be interesing to see what a British record card says for one of the Canadian Ferrets.

Canada issued it Canadian Army Registration number (later changed to Canadian Forces registration number) 54-82620 (54= Year of issue; 80,000 range = Armoured vehicles I believe at that time.) This number would have been stamped into the top of the armour, on the starboard side, near the edge weld of the glacis plate, in front on the old 19 Set antenna mount (round ring fitting to driver's right of hatch). If sitting in Ferret driver's seat, lean forward, reach a LONG arm out as far as you can, and then swing it 45- degrees to right. That is about where CAR number was. When there are multiple coats of paint the number disappears under them. It is hand stamped and is shallow. DO NOT use a power grinder or snader to look for it! I use an old Swiss Army knife dragging it sideways. An old chisel can also do it. Oshawa was nice enough to let me do this to most of theirs. CWM & CFB Borden's runner Ferret said no due to "recent & nice" paint jobs (even though CWM one is wrong.) First four numbers of a Ferret CAR are always 54-82 with the dash being a 1 laid on its side. The fifth number was either a 5 or a 6. This number was also painted on both sides of the hull, sometimes above the driver's head and sometimes on the rear. I do not think Canada assigned CAR numbers to the Ferrets that they borrowed/rented in Cyprus from the British. For the person who says they saw a WD number on back of a Canadian Ferret, maybe it was one of those. I believe I have seen such a photo but don't think I have a copy.

This Ferret does not seem to have served with United Nations in Egypt (UNEF) or Cyprus (UNFICYP) - It is not on my lists for those missions ... but lists are not all includsive of any changes that might have occured during the years they were there.

It is one of the last Ferrets acquired by Canada so it MIGHT have the angled side "windows" rather than the rectangular type seen on almost all Canadian Ferrets.

Ferret 54-82620 was sold surplus ("disposal") out of Petawawa in May 1981 on CADCI 50800. Thanks to Rob Love for that info)

Most of the surplus Canadian Ferrets went south to the USA.

I don't think this one has resurfaced yet, but I am behind in updating my records. CFB Gagetown and others have sent updates as they find numbers on their Ferrets.

Robin - Look at yours as well for physical clues to see if the wire spool bracket is/was there on left upper hull, and look at dents in side bins.

Colin Stevens
Author "The Ferret Scout Car in Canadian Service" (Available from Service Publications in Ottawa or signed copies are available from the author at seaforth72@gmail.com )

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 20-12-10, 03:55

Amongst other things on monday I will be checking mine again, Ive been away to sunny Halifax NS this past 7 days

R