MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 23-06-17, 08:45

Thank Richard. The T16 is negative earth. The LT from ignition switch is connected to the + and the - goes to the distributor to earth. Its actually burnt electrodes on the rotor arm, such as it makes any difference. I am confident that this is why the coil is overheating and the engine stops. Just to find out why. I will get there, we always do don't we?
Old 24-06-17, 22:47
Bluebell

If the rotor is loose on the shaft, and has turned in relation to the shaft, the arm contact will not be lining up correctly when the spark occurs. this means the voltage has to go higher to jump the gaps at the cap/rotor, and also the plug gap. this increases the load at the coil and the likelyhood of it failing to fire.
Just for the record there are two types of insulators that the plug leads plug into (one each side of the distributor, and two types of rotors (early and late) (as you now have correct T16 rotors you have eliminated that part)
I don't know enough about what wrong parts will fit in, so don't know if this might be a problem.
(I think there are two rotors that can fit in the crab as well) (one right and one wrong of course)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 25-06-17, 20:12

Thanks Lynn, all up and running once more . I replaced the rotor arm as I am sure that was shorting out and my best guess is that it got worse when it got very hot in the distributor. The reason I could not start it at all is that the second set of points were very very tight to achieve the correct Dwell which had then crusted up and eliminated the gap over the winter. All sorted now, but I cannot say that I have a great deal of confidence in the Divers Helmet with 70 year old rotor arms in. I am going to run it around a bit this week and discover whether I have solved the loss of spark when hot. Meanwhile I understand that there is a new aluminium billet electronic distributor, 2 or 3 bolt about to be launched. This will eliminate the weak areas of the older distributors and should be a great fix I am down for one and will try to report back when I have it.