MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-09-16, 04:10
Mark Stennett

Default M38a1 blinker issues

I've just within the last week gotten my jeep completed,
I am having some issues with the indicators work sperradickly.
They will work fine for a bit then stop working or now just turn on but not flash. I've checked the connections one seemed to be loose but tightened it up with no change. Does the mechanism or the flasher unit on the fire wall cause these issues?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 14-09-16, 06:27
carrier mech

Do you have the solid state flasher system? If so there are a couple of possibilities.

The flasher will stop flashing when it gets too hot. When this happens the end is near for the flasher unit.

The flasher will also just stay on solid if there is a short in one of the 4 wires that it feeds. Common spots are places in the harness where those little metal frame clips secure the harness to the frame. There was a modification to the M151A2 Jeeps to prevent flasher failure the short would cause by installing a fuse on the power in wire (460/461).

The solid state flashers are kind of pricey. They can easily be replaced with a normal 2 prong flasher (in 24 volt of course) if need be.
Old 14-09-16, 06:31

The sort of behaviour you describe can be caused by too low a wattage bulbs installed resulting in too low a current flow to actuate the flasher unit. This is if the unit is a conventional design. I'm not familiar with the M38.

David
Old 14-09-16, 13:45
carrier mech

Not sure it will be the bulbs on this one. You only have 3 choices in general for the bulbs in 24 volt: 623, 1251 (both the smaller size) and 1683 which is the correct one for the turn signals. Any of those will provide the resistance needed to set off the solid state flasher.
Old 14-09-16, 15:41
Mark Stennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Do you have the solid state flasher system? If so there are a couple of possibilities.

The flasher will stop flashing when it gets too hot. When this happens the end is near for the flasher unit.

The flasher will also just stay on solid if there is a short in one of the 4 wires that it feeds. Common spots are places in the harness where those little metal frame clips secure the harness to the frame. There was a modification to the M151A2 Jeeps to prevent flasher failure the short would cause by installing a fuse on the power in wire (460/461).

The solid state flashers are kind of pricey. They can easily be replaced with a normal 2 prong flasher (in 24 volt of course) if need be.
Yes it is the solid state flasher. I will have a closer look at the harness and check it with an ohms meter and see if its open or not.

Thanks for the help. Ill let you know what I find
Old 14-09-16, 16:25
carrier mech

My money says it may be a short to ground, or else heat/tired flasher.

They will burn the contacts within the control arm as well.

Disconnect the harness from the signal switch and test the resistance on wires 22-460 and 22-461. One of those is usually the culprit. You can also check 460 and 461, but they are usually OK.

Wiggle the frame clips slightly against the harness while someone is watching the ohmmeter and you may find the problem.

If you want to try a 24 volt commercial flasher, splice it into the A and B wires instead of the solid state flasher. Leave C wire alone as it is not used on a flasher. Resist the temptation to hook C to the third terminal of a flasher in the case of a 3 prong. C is a ground, and the third terminal is the little light on the arm of the older flashers.
Old 15-09-16, 15:57
Mark Stennett

Hi Rob

Thanks for all the great information, its been a great help! I have not had a chance to check the wiring for shorts yet. I will have a minion to help me Saturday to do this chore.
Fingers crossed!
Cheers