MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-04-16, 23:16
carrier mech

Default New to the Shilo RCA Museum

I'm going to say new, although it in fact came to Shilo almost 6 years ago, but the Vehicle Movement Order seems to have been lost when the CF changed from Plan Expert to DRMIS, so it sat in a supply compound since then. We made some queries about a month back, and today it was released to us. It is a MLVW M36 Cdn. These have the longer wheelbase with the 14 foot cargo box.

It appears the cannibals got to it once or twice for a spare part or two, but nothing that can't be overcome. And of course, the newer style tires with the sealing O rings went kaput on two wheels.

Plates are still on it, but those unfortunately have to come off, however since the truck is an artifact (and not a monument) the truck will remain in running condition. The back will be stripped and it is part of an airfield defense system, although at this point it is hard to say if it will have that installed right now.

MLVWs in civilian hands are rare, as the few that were sold were often residue. As well, the few that were sold off were sold with non-repairable status. The remaining MLVWs in CF inventory are being dismantled at federal prisons, so there is no coming back from that fate. They are likley to remain in regular force service for at least 2 to 3 more years, and the militia replacement trucks (MSVS) can already be seen fullfilling some regular force roles.

This truck came from the East. Due to the corrosion out there, it would appear that on turn in to Montral depot, it had new hood, fenders, and doors. There are signs of some body fill on the bottom of the cab, but not as bad as other Eastern trucks that I have seen. There is rust around the trunnions, but they appear to be solid overall. The frame looks good, and the cargo box appears to have been ziebarted at some point.

We are hoping to get an MLVW Artillery SEV into the collection the future, and perhaps even save my old MLVW MRT from going to the prison. Unfortunately, the floor in here is full, and I have already been having to choose lesser vehicles to go outside for storage.

Here are some photos of our M36Cdn
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00254.jpg   DSC00255.jpg   DSC00257.jpg  
Old 09-04-16, 04:49
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I'm going to say new, although it in fact came to Shilo almost 6 years ago,

Unfortunately, the floor in here is full, and I have already been having to choose lesser vehicles to go outside for storage.

It is good to have too many! I trust you will be able to protect it from the weather well enough that it won't deteriorate too badly.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 09-04-16, 06:51
carrier mech

The majority of the cold war type armour is now outside, and all appropriately tarped. Batteries get pulled each fall, and none of them has been worse for wear due to weather.

We are lucky to get the building we have for storage of the bulk of the vehicles in the collection. The main museum only displays about half a dozen vehicles and a dozen or so guns, so actually having a heated building for about 43 pieces is quite a blessing.