MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 01-12-05, 14:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Requiem For A Soldier

I received this in email this morning, but it was sent a couple of days ago. Well worth reading, and no editorial comment required. The sender has requested this be posted on MLU.

Quote:
My dad, Wilf Kitching, passed away 20 years ago today. Dad was born in Portage la Prairie, MB in May of 1919. He had a rough time growing up without a father and, as was done in that time, spent many years at Knowles School for Boys as an 'orphan'. He was released from the school in his early teens and travelled west on the trains. He enlisted in 1942 and spent the rest of the war as a gunner in the 14th Field Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Division. His number was K46813. He married mom, Mary Martin Simpson of Winnipeg, on his return in 1946. Mom had a child from a previous marriage. They had three children together and adopted two more as well as fostering numorous children over the years. What I remember most about dad is his incredible sense of humour and his quiet ways. A great man whose war time sacrifices can never fully be appreciated but will never be forgotten.

November 29th, 2005