MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 24-11-18, 22:49

Default Canadian Wireless Test Equipment

Going through the items on the shelf next to my wireless sets this morning and discovered I had a couple of pieces of test equipment that were Canadian made, and probably built in the 1940's and 1950's.

Though I would start another thread in case more such equipment is out there worth documenting. Both of these set are in working order, though neither came with manuals when found years ago.

I will post photos and sub titles for the two items shortly.

David
Old 24-11-18, 23:09

Default MEASUREMENT ENGINEERING Canadian Signal Generator Model SG-1

I ran across this item back in the 1980's at Rob Love's favourite Surplus Yard while 19-Set bits hunting one weekend. It had a little surface rust on it at the time, which cleaned up nicely. Electrically it was in great shape and even had its original AC line and test leads.

I bit surprising back then that it had not been smashed to bits before disposal.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Measurement Engineering Sig Gen.JPG  
Old 24-11-18, 23:16

Default STARK Signal Generator Model LSG-10A

This one was a flea market find, also back in the 1980's. Complete and working, but with no original test leads.

Rather pleased to have rediscovered it now, in light of the fact it is a STARK product and it is one of their British Valve Adapters I am planning to clone for my 52-Set Project.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Stark Sig Gen.JPG  
Old 25-11-18, 16:10
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

When I was in high school last century our electronics lab was kitted with all Stark test equipment. Some Stark tube testers were made under licence from Hickok.

Here's another example of Canadian test equipment. This is the RCAF version of the American BC221. It is direct freq readout though, doesn't require a calibration booklet. Covers from 500 Kc to 100 Mc directly and using harmonics and sub harmonics.
Attached Thumbnails
C2.jpg  
Old 17-06-19, 16:27

Default OS8-B/U Oscilloscope

I was doing some equipment research on line over the weekend when I stumbled across a PDF File posted at some time by Jerry Proctor, which I found a very interesting read. It is a copy of a mid-1960’s Royal Canadian Navy equipment listing of all Oscilloscopes in service at that time with the RCN. It was several pages long with illustrations and descriptions of each scope.

The first surprise was that the total number of oscilloscopes in use was 39, including four identified as ‘British Admiralty Pattern’. Based on the NATO Stock Numbers, the rest of the equipment was either of Canadian or US manufacture.

The second surprise was the 5th illustration, which happened to be of the OS8-B/U Oscilloscope that I have always known to be a US Navy Contract Item from 1952. I picked one of these up years ago for around $50 Cdn all in. It is a rugged little design and probably close to the first truly light weight portable scopes built. Mine is a US Navy contract item built by Hickok.

Having seen this RCN document now, I wonder if a contract was ever placed for a run of OS8-B/U scopes that have RCN ID tags on them, or if what the RCN needed was simply bought direct from US Navy Stores?

David
Attached Thumbnails
OS8-B:U Oscilloscope.JPG  
Old 25-08-19, 17:17

Default OS-8B/U Oscilloscope

I have been picking away on this scope lately in my spare time between the usual summertime chores around the house and, quite frankly, the desire to be outside enjoying the back garden whenever possible. I will have 7 more months of indoor time to play with electronics soon enough.

The scope started out working quite well, but over a few weeks I noticed the horizontal controls starting to drop away. Then the vertical controls gave away to the point all I got was a small horizontal trace line at the upper section of the screen that gave me purely random responses to any of the controls. A complete valve replacement did not improve things and I eventually traced the problem to the two electrolytic capacitor cans in the power supply. Both were Mallory Type FP items, one a three section unit and the other a four section.

A little searching on the web revealed a company in the States was still making these capacitors using the original 1920’s equipment from Mallory. And the two capacitors I needed were available with suitable specs AND dimensions. This latter point is very critical in such a compact chassis design. So I shall be ordering a pair of capacitors shortly.

I hope to get the scope back up an running before winter sets in as it will come in handy in testing my two 52-Set receivers.

David
Old 20-01-20, 17:52

Default MEASUREMENT ENGINEERING Canadian Signal Generator Model SG-1

I ran across a tidbit of information on this company this morning.

Measurement Engineering was producing precision electronics items (type unknown) during the war. They were located at: 104 Lombard Street, Toronto, Ontario. The SG-1 was their very first product aimed at the postwar commercial radio servicing market and production of the SG-1 started in 1945.

David
Old 21-01-20, 13:19

Default Lsg-10

Click image for larger version

Name:	LeaderLSG10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	111576

I have a LEADER LSG-10 made nowhere near Canada
not as many functions as David's

The dial faded away, I was able to download a clear picture and after many print attempts eventually had one the correct size to glue over the face

cheers rod
Old 22-01-20, 18:19

Rod.

Thanks for posting.

There are no date references I can find anywhere on my LSG-10A, or in the manual. The data plate on the back shows the usual model and serial number information and the Stark name and address in Ajax, Ontario.

However, on closer inspection, I just noticed ‘JAPAN’ is stamped into the outer rear chassis, just below the AC Mains Line exit grommet.

I wonder if Leader was a postwar electronics company in Japan which developed a line of Signal Generators that eventually caught the attention of Stark? Perhaps not built here in Canada by Stark, but assembled, so the model number system stayed the same.

David
Old 17-05-23, 04:53
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Leak RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Salter View Post
Attachment 111576

I have a LEADER LSG-10 made nowhere near Canada
not as many functions as David's

The dial faded away, I was able to download a clear picture and after many print attempts eventually had one the correct size to glue over the face

cheers rod
I have seen similar LSG signal generators around at hamfests. These cheaper or basic signal generators tend to leak RF energy out of the case, the shielding is not that great. As an example, if you need a radio frequency signal that is down in the low microvolts region, these cheap generators are not the ideal instrument for aligning receivers because of the leakage.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 09-07-23, 21:25

Default Stark VT9 Test Meter

Go figure.

After finding a very nice Hickok 209A to go towards my 52-Set Project, a very nice Stark VT9 shows up for sale on Kijiji out of Coronation Park, which I am assuming is in Ontario. The item was part of a national search result and I did not register the exact location.

As is typical of a lot of vintage test equipment, no leads or probes are with the meter. The seller has identified it as a VT9, but it could be a VT9A. there are no show stopping differences between the two models.

David
Old 10-07-23, 03:20
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Go figure.

After finding a very nice Hickok 209A to go towards my 52-Set Project, a very nice Stark VT9 shows up for sale on Kijiji out of Coronation Park, which I am assuming is in Ontario. The item was part of a national search result and I did not register the exact location.

As is typical of a lot of vintage test equipment, no leads or probes are with the meter. The seller has identified it as a VT9, but it could be a VT9A. there are no show stopping differences between the two models.

David
These are VTVM ?

I guess like me you are a fan of Mr Carlsons lab on utube. In one of his videos, he describes how these older VTVMs are actually better than the modern Digital multi meters for certain measuring parameters. He recently did a series describing the detailed rebuild of a AR88 receiver , including showing the complicated alignment procedure.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 10-07-23, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Stark VT9 shows up for sale on Kijiji out of Coronation Park,
Is this the listing - I didn't find Coronation Park (rather Confederation Park, listed under Saskatoon)?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-elec...ter/1665563325
Attached Thumbnails
Stark VT-9.jpg  
Old 10-07-23, 16:46

Hello Grant.

Yes, that is the wee beastie! Thanks for tracking it down and posting the info.

Interesting that it is the earlier VT9 as opposed to the later VT9A. I suspect the differences would be subtle and very likely, the leads and probes from both the Hickok 209 series of meters and the Stark series of VT9 meters would be fully interchangeable.

For comparison, I have attached a photo of my Hickok 209A. Note the main difference is a minor relocation of a few controls by Stark and that Hickok had the functions rotate with the switches against fixed markers on the front panel, whereas the Stark version of the meter used the switch as the indicator with the functions fixed on the front panel.

If you are familiar with typical vintage VTVM equipment, these two photos will be deceiving. This Hickok/Stark meter is 16.5 inches wide, 13.5 inches high and 8.5 inches deep, weighing in between 15 and 20 pounds. Notice the Hickok handle is a basic bent steel rod format, whereas Stark went with something a lot more comfy.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Hickok 209A 4.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 10-07-23 at 16:53. Reason: Added information.
Old 13-07-23, 17:18

Default Marconi Ltd TF957/1 H.F. Absorption Wattmeter

This bit of test gear came from Marconi Ltd in the UK and it came in two versions: the TF957 for the European Market and the TF957/1 for North America. In US Military Service, it was known as the ME 5005/U.

This meter is what is used to test the Sender output of the 52-Set when it is in Low Power Mode. The meter comes in a large cast aluminium case with removable cover. The cover opens up to access the manual and the two test leads.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Marconi TF957:1 1.JPG   Marconi TF957:1 2.JPG   Marconi TF957:1 3.JPG   Marconi TF957:1 11.JPG  
Old 03-08-23, 17:38

I know I have posted several photos of the Hickok 209A Multimeter and provided dimensions and weighs, but I think this particular photo really highlights the actual size of this meter, when it is sitting next to a 1-Gallon paint can.

The Stark VT9A version of this meter would be equivalent.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Hickok 209A Meter.JPG