MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-07-13, 17:56
MLU Administrator

Default 1st Canadian Forestry Group, La Roche-en-Ardennes, 1944

Turns out I was staying in a place this weekend with a Canadian military historical connection.

This is a picture of a framed copy of the letter presented to the owner of Les Merlettes when his hotel was commandeered by the HQ 1st Canadian Forestry Group when looking for a place to stay in La Roche-en-Ardennes, Belgium, October 1944.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-09-13, 09:55
MLU Administrator

For more information about the CFC, see Bob Brigg's web page at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....chell/cfc.html.
La Roche-en-Ardennes is mentioned here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ell/cfc22.html
Ardennes are mentioned here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ell/cfc15.html

H.
Old 02-09-13, 09:57
MLU Administrator

See WWII CDN Battledress Grouping-Medals, duffle bag, picture, etc. for a BD, two medals in original boxes, Forestry Corps cap badge, paperwork, one picture, WWI ID bracelet, duffle bag and D ring lock from "Risebrow, T.R. Pte L41364". Trooper Risebrow is listed at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ell/cfc46.html. The story about his Company, No. 26, ends around 1943 in Scotland, so I don't know if Pte Risebrow served in NW Europe.

H.
Attached Thumbnails
001.jpg   002.jpg   010.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 02-09-13, 11:19
MLU Administrator

No real information yet on the type of vehicles they used, but some info was found right here on MLU:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward (RIP) View Post
I just found this and thought it might be of interest:

Model EC196T were supplied under Demand S/M 2048
"CODE VOM" for "3 TON CHASSIS & STEEL CLOSED CAB C196T" with 2-SPEED REAR AXLE 7.50 X 20 TYRES 158" w.b.
DELIVERED TO CANADIAN FORESTRY CORPS.

The history of these is interesting. They were ordered initially in late 1940 because the Canadian Forestry Corps required 100 trucks for their work on behalf of, and with, the Forestry Commission Timber Supply Department of the Ministry of Supply. They were to be ordered in Canada and remain the property of the British, i.e. were to British order for the Canadians. This was placed under Contract Demand LV.382 of 1940-41, but this contract was no longer required as the 100 176 inch wheelbase vehicles were allocated to British account under File No. B.S.B. 430, S/M 2048. They appear to have been delivered in spring 1941.
Old 02-09-13, 17:29
Terry Warner

"Drunkenness, poaching, and even murder were not unknown, and there was a huge inter-company brawl in Kincardine O'Neil in 1941."

Again, not vehicle related, but history. The father of a friend of mine was in the Forestry Corps. An officer I think. Ottawa residents might recognize the old Nepean neighbourhood named Henry Farm. That was the family's property once upon a time.

The lumberjacks were a rough lot. Fighting was the main entertainment. Rank and privilege was often determined by sheer brute strength. Whoever won the fight with the Sergeant Major on payday, got to wear the badge until the next payday. How the officers and responsible Senior NCOs ever maintained order is beyond me.

My other story is about the importance of wood and lumber. Illegal logging was a recurring theme in Bosnia after the end of open hostilities with the Dayton Accords in 95, throughout the NATO IFOR and ISAF missions. The Canadian AOR had several lumbermills. I remember looking at one mill and thinking how much material they were losing by cutting nonstandard length logs into random length and width boards. They seemed have the thickness right, even if it looked rather thick. Every single piece would have to be remeasured and cut on the job site, leaving various odd lengths as waste. Standardization would have meant more sales. Jobs could be finished faster and with less slow time. And, the forests could be better managed for the next generation. But I was just an ordinary soldier and no one asked me how to run their country more efficiently.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-09-13, 19:04
MLU Administrator

Terry,

Doesn't suprise me a bit. Lumberjacking is a rough job, it surely does attract a certain type of man.

Interesting read how their trade was in high demand, and they were to carry it out under military command. They were lumberjacks first, soldiers second.

Hanno
Old 10-12-13, 02:46

My Grandfather was a 2nd Lt in the Forestry Corps. He was a drill instructor, taught the lads their soldiering skills when they weren't felling trees.
Lots of interesting stories. Here's a pic of some of their trucks, not sure if they're the same ones you mention...

Cheers,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
forestrycorps3.jpg  
Old 10-12-13, 02:55
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mosher View Post
My Grandfather was a 2nd Lt in the Forestry Corps. He was a drill instructor, taught the lads their soldiering skills when they weren't felling trees.
Lots of interesting stories. Here's a pic of some of their trucks, not sure if they're the same ones you mention...

Cheers,

Jeff
Probably not as this photo is in Canada.
C
Old 11-12-13, 02:16

Default Forestry Corps

Clive,

You say it is in Canada because of the pith helmets ?

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 11-12-13, 16:52

The Forestry Units that served in the UK from Commonwealth armies (Canada, New Zealand and Australia) were (in most cases) raised and allocated to Britain at British government request. All personnel had to have forestry experience, and the number of units requested from each country by Britain was proportional to the size of the civilian forestry industry in the immediate pre-war era, hence Canada provided the largest number of units, with Australia and then NZ following along way behind in numbers.

Aust raised four units: three forestry operations units (2/1, 2/2, 2/3 Aust Forestry) and an overseeing organizational Headquarters unit.

Mike C
Old 11-12-13, 22:59

Here is a link to the CMHQ Report 029 dealing with the Canadian Forestry Corps for the period 1939 to 1941.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/CMHQ-29.pdf

from 1941 to 1943

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq097.pdf

1943 to 1944

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/CMHQ117.pdf

and 1944 to 1945

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...hq/cmhq151.pdf

Last edited by John McGillivray; 11-12-13 at 23:12.
Old 19-04-14, 21:49

British Pathe films are now on YouTube. Here is a piece on the Canadian Forestry Corps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HqG-QMyTZk