Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-05-08, 02:29
Andrew

Default another waste of trucks

Just found out about the latest round of wasted trucks in Australia
And who ended up with them ???????
Bloody scrappies
The Australian armed forces have recently decommissioned some of their Mercedes 4 x 4 fire tenders
scrappies bought the lot at $650 per tonne .tanks and all .Works out at under $5000 per vehicle
The powers at be must be idiots
A transfer case combo alone at the wreckers sell for $14000
even working just on that net loss to the Australian people of $9000 per vehicle minimum by itself
Not to mention a waste of good low mileage vehicles

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 24-05-08, 02:35
Dave Demorrow

i guess lefties down there didnt want the military trucks sold to people who could use them to attack others with. you all know that all military trucks have guns and were made to kill people!!!! they must all be crushed.
yeaaaaa right
DD
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 24-05-08, 02:44
Andrew

Yeah those water cannons can be deadly

Old 24-05-08, 06:20

These 2 were up for auction a month or so ago here in Perth. Passed in at the first attempt to sell but I do not know what has happened to them since.

Old 25-05-08, 13:08

Default Merc Rural Fire Tenders

Guys, the powers to be have a set disposal plan that encompasses everthing.

Let's get this said from the start. I am not a fan of things going to the scrap merchants at all. To be honest, there would have to be better options. It's just I don't know what they are at the moment.

The Mercedes Rural Fire Tender was withdrawn from service some time ago and as far as $14g for a used transfer case on equipment that has been around for over 25 years, I can see why the Govt can't afford to keep that fleet running.

To be honest though, what are our options? The Govt stops selling this stuff off completely. I don't think so. The dollar return back to non-public monies is huge, no matter who buys it. Scrappies or collectors. This stuff is also a highly desired bit of kit for the local Bushfire Brigades as well as the local cockies.

This equipment is sold at auction, so to stop the scrappies buying it outbid them. It's as simple as that. If you can't afford that then we have to realise that these parasites are going to buy it, and they're here to stay. It's simple supply and demand, and this is a readily available source of that commodity. Anyone attending auctions would have the program of listings, therefore knowing what is up for bidding. If you don't want the kit, someone will. For whatever reason.

Sad to say it, they are a fact of life within our hobby. I would like to see nothing go to the scrappies at all personally. When the hammer drops though, all that matters to the disposal teams is getting return revenue. They don't care who the winning bidder is. With the price of scrap steel at $650 per ton and rising, it's only going to get worse. Car thieves are now targetting older cars, not for parts, but their worth in scrap weight.

Stuart, as for the pair in the photo, they couldn't have faired too bad. They are both wearing civilian registration plates and at least 4 years of rego stickers on the windsreens each. So it wouldn't have been a defence auction.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 25-05-08 at 13:22. Reason: Typos, and lots of them
Old 25-05-08, 13:41
Andrew

Friends bought two vehicles from the scrappies
Apparently these vehicles were sold at auction with the speedos removed ?
The excuse given from auctioneers was to stop reberthing (how that would stop it makes no sense)
If they are sold to highest bidder ,why would they want to stop them being re registered ?
or care

They bought one for use on their mine and construction sites and when they did the ring around to check spare parts pricing (such as transfer cases and diff works ) they also thought prices were high and thuss bought the second for spares

Last edited by aj.lec; 25-05-08 at 13:47.
Old 25-05-08, 13:50

Apparently these vehicles were sold at auction with the speedos removed ?
The excuse given from auctioneers was to stop reberthing
dosent make sense to me
If they are sold to highest bidder ,why would they want to stop them being re registered ?

Any vehicle sold from Defence Auctions can be registered providing it conforms with state road laws as the registering process is (obviously) done in whichever state you reside and has nothing to do with Defence.

As far as "rebirthing" as an issue, Defence vehicles are not registered to start with as far as any state registration departments are concerned. They are a Govt vehicle and therefore hold an ARN (Army Registered Number as far as Army is concerned).

Rebirthing is not an issue at all. In fact, this would actually be first registration for these vehicles be it club, historic or open.

Missing speedo?? Who knows...

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 25-05-08, 14:00
Andrew

didnt make any sense to me either
There were 4 in that lot and all had been removed before auction
They were not spares vehicles .They were complete trucks with everything including hoses and fittings