MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 06-01-11, 04:03
Allan Cameron

Default NNSH tunic

Hey guys,hope everyone had a great holiday season.
Here are a few pics of a tunic I have been offered. Not sure if you all can tell by the pics, but how does it look to you fellows? What do think this would be worth?
Can you help me?
Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-11, 07:14
Derek Heuring

Default Value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hey guys,hope everyone had a great holiday season.
Here are a few pics of a tunic I have been offered. Not sure if you all can tell by the pics, but how does it look to you fellows? What do think this would be worth?
Can you help me?
Cheers!

Unfortunately, it looks to be in poor condition when I enlarged your photos of it. Is it stained and patched? Also, you didn't mention it's size. The larger sizes fetch a premium but this blouse's apparent condition knocks it's value way down. Further, it's not from one the more sought after units such as the Regina Rifles or the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion. If it isn't a size 26 or larger, it's only worth about $25.00.

Sorry, Derek
Old 06-01-11, 07:33
Allan Cameron

No probs,that's why I asked. As both my uncles were North Novies and I really enjoy collecting their memorabilia,if I could just find some. I do have two hat badges though,the original "M.G." style the the later version as well. Th price of these items tends to make me thing they are sought after though.
I just wasn't sure if the tunic was real or not,as it has the blue cloth patches.I somehow thought they were black. Is is a very small size as well,which turns me away from it as well.
Plus,the original pics that are with the tunic has it with the chest bar and has none of that now.
He was asking $450 for it.
Old 07-01-11, 01:14

Default Evaluation

Price I guess is guess is 'in the eye of the beholder'. Derek's evaluation is very much on the low side and his assessment of BD collecting trends is a bit off. If you can get any complete WWII BD Tunic today for $25.00, then you are certainly having a very good day. As well, 3rd Division Tunics are of interest to collectors, especially those from the infantry battalions.

The photographs that you provided were not that good, so it is difficult to tell the state of the Tunic. Generally when it comes to purchasing a badged WWII BD Tunic there are several things you want to look for such as the types of badges on the Tunic, condition and perhaps to some extent size to name but three. Provenance is also key and of course the price.

If you intend to get into the militaria 'game' then you are best to arm yourself with lots of knowledge and have a look at other items in private collections and museums. There is no shortage of reference material these days on the uniforms and equipment of the Canadian Army in WWII and you will be rewarded dividends by investing some of these works and getting to know the topic long before you start to spend your money.

Withour sounding 'preachy' or 'all high and mighty', if you have to resort to sending photos to formus and asking people on the internet if an item good and what you should pay, then perhaps you might be in a bit over your head. I understand your enthusiasm, just take it a bit easy and gain a bit of knowledge for if you don't, it could end up costing you more money then you should have paid for an item or you may miss something because you did not know what it was.
Old 07-01-11, 01:33
Allan Cameron

Just thought I would come and ask those who may know about the subject is all.
To learn,one must ask questions. I have an interest in the North Novies,and that's all of the memorabilia I will be interested in.
I guess I should have just asked,"What do you guys think of this tunic?".
Sorry for the kerfuffle