MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-05, 05:48
Derek Heuring

Default C15 brakes

The brakes on my C15 are slow to come on and to release, although they do work. I'm assuming weak springs and possible contamination from a leaking axle seal and/or wheel cylinder (the master cylinder needs topping up every now and then), . I'd like to assemble all the parts before commencing the work so this means new bearings (possibly), axle seals, wheel cylinders, springs, shoes etc. I remember a previous thread discussing brake parts so I'm hoping some of the parts are still available NOS. Anybody know of parts numbers and places to find these parts? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Derek

P.S.
Question: How many tools does it take to remove a 60 year tyre from a rusty old rim?

Answer: 14! Air compressor, impact wrench, socket, Blow torch, pry bar, Grinder, hammer, cold chisel, extension cord, reciprocating saw, sledge hammer, cheater bar, water pump pliers, and a knife

Doncha just love R.O.T.'s!
Old 05-11-05, 08:27
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: C15 brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Question: How many tools does it take to remove a 60 year tyre from a rusty old rim?

Answer: 14! Air compressor, impact wrench, socket, Blow torch, pry bar, Grinder, hammer, cold chisel, extension cord, reciprocating saw, sledge hammer, cheater bar, water pump pliers, and a knife

Doncha just love R.O.T.'s!
And then you forgot the workshop consumables:
WD40, soapy water, beer, band-aids, beer, old rags, hand cleaner, beer.
Old 05-11-05, 09:28
Richard Notton

Default Re: C15 brakes

Quote:
P.S.

Surely some mistake?

Two is the correct answer.

Item 1, Dave's SIII Landy to transport tyre/wheel just 1/2 mile to Morgan's Truck Scrapyard.

Item 2, Morgan's 8ft high hydraulic tyre remover with four fixed arms and a central ram at least 6" across.

Absolute piece of P.

R.
Old 05-11-05, 15:38
carrier mech

About the only two parts you won't find NOS will be the Chev master cylinder (although rebuild kits are available and you can get the old one sleeved if need be) and the outer wheel seal on the rear axle, although there has been much debate if they are neccessary, and there are some NOS ones out there if you search long enough.
You will likely have to reline the brake shoes as well, although if theres still enough meat on them, they can likely be cleaned up with a ton of brake clean.

I bought the rear wheel seals recently for my carrier (same wheel seal) and it ran me around $52 each. MACs ford parts in the US can get them for around $20 each if you want to wait a couple of weeks.
Old 05-11-05, 23:03

Default wheel cylinders

Unfortunatly this may not be the info you need but at least some encouragement. I rebuilt a 15CWT and was not able to get any match up for new wheel cylinders from the parts shop I usualy dealt with there seemed to be no intrest in the problem- bugger off. I showed a cylinder to a neighbour and he sent me off to another shop. The parts man said yes he thought he had one in stock which he did and ordered the other three! Unfortunatly I didn't keep the part number but it was a common stock item. There is a new stock wheel cyliner out there you just may need to really look for it.
Old 06-11-05, 01:39
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: C15 brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Two is the correct answer.
You neglected to allow for "consumables" ! See Tony's post.
Derek's maxim: The amount of consumables required is inversely proportional to the ease of the job! This may at first seem counter-intuitive but consider; the less time spent working results in more time spent "consuming!"
Old 06-11-05, 01:42
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: C15 brakes

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Item 2, Morgan's 8ft high hydraulic tyre remover with four fixed arms and a central ram at least 6" across.
Can I borrow it for the other four?
Old 06-11-05, 01:48
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
About the only two parts you won't find NOS will be the Chev master cylinder (although rebuild kits are available and you can get the old one sleeved if need be) and the outer wheel seal on the rear axle, although there has been much debate if they are neccessary, and there are some NOS ones out there if you search long enough.

I bought the rear wheel seals recently for my carrier (same wheel seal) and it ran me around $52 each. MACs ford parts in the US can get them for around $20 each if you want to wait a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the info! Guess I've got some searchin' to do! Fortunately, we've got lots of parts suppliers around here, problem is, most of them are run by pimply faced post teens who can do a bang up job of reflashing the computer in your Mitsubishi Lancer, but don't even know what points are, let alone setting them!
Old 06-11-05, 04:54

Default Parts available.....

Do not despair parts are all there.....

Mac Auto in upper NY has the famous rear axle seals.... actually listed as for a Ford 1 1/2 ton axle.... get the bigger one 4.59 inch

Wheel cyl. are listed in the parts section of the restoration section Wagners..... part numbers are still good .... Brian Ashbury still has NOS outer rear axle seals which some do not bother replacing.

If you can afford it.... have your Ford shoes relined.... yes they should be marked FORD in script. After spending all that money the last thing you need is sloppy brake. Around her I asked for glued lining.... they told me that in Ontario on antique vehicle they require rivets at the leading and training edge since most vehicles only get limited driving and lining can become seperated...????

Master cyl.,,,,, some have a brass sleeve inside... which precludes heavy rusting..... they can be cleaned up well if you build your own buffing tool using 1 1/2 inch round circles of medium grit 3M pads mounted centrally on a piec of threaded rod.... insert rod in drillpress and voila..... then get a kit and re-assemble.... the Cadillac way is to get it resleeved (especially the steel ones) with Stainless steel..... ususally comes with a lifetime guarantee.....

Using an Industrial bearing place I have been able to find 99.9% of all seals, bearings and races for axle and tranfer case...exception for the outer rear axle seal..... they do a tremendous job of measuring the old part and doing a search by dimensions both ID and OD and come up with modern part number, brand,equivalents.....

Patience pays off.....

If you need something special come on back with the ???

Bob C.
Canada
Old 06-11-05, 09:36
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: C15 brakes

Quote:
Can I borrow it for the other four?
Sure, weighs about four tons and needs a 440V 3Ø supply of 20A per phase.

R.
Old 06-11-05, 13:20

Default Brakes coming off slow

Check the recuperation port in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir if this becomes blocked with crud it will not let the fluid back into the reservoir so that the brakes hold on when the pedal is released.

Remove the master cylinder and drain it and disassemble it, look in the top and forward and you can see a small drilling in the bottom of the reservoir, poke it out with a piece of wire

Pete
Old 06-11-05, 14:04

Default brakes

Brakes slow to come on and release .

Check the flexible brake hoses , with age they can block the inner passages and restict the fluid flow in either direction .

Jim S.