MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 05-04-19, 02:17

Default Chevrolet Panel Van for sale

This is more of a heads-up but I thought I would get in early.

I am shipping my Chevrolet, Panel Delivery, 3/4-ton, 4x2 (G616) to Europe from USA for D-Day. I will be using it from 28 May to about the end of June or early July (attending the 70th Berlin Airlift at Weisbaden after Normandy).

It is too expensive to ship to Australia so it will be sold in Europe. I can probably deliver it to anywhere subject to discussion.

The vehicle was purchased in a straight unrestored driving condition and I have just gone through it to make it a presentable but more importantly, reliable trip machine. There are no rust holes or signs of any major repairs.

All the mechanical stuff was fixed:

Converted to 12 volt.
All new brakes throughout
New radiator. Bearings, tyres, clutch, alternator, shock absorbers etc
Head rebuilt, new water pump, carburetor, electronic ignition etc - this engine runs really smooth and quiet with as-new compressions.

Modern shoulder strap seat belts. Original good condition, unrestored, individual seats which tilt for rear access. All new glass and rubbers.

The only major modification is the bolt-on conversion of a modern Borg Warner T-5 overdrive 5 speed gearbox (new tailshaft and universals). These Chevrolets are very nice to drive originally with beautiful steering, plenty of power and with standard gearing can cruise well above 50mph/80kmh but with the overdrive it can cruise at 60mph/100kmh all day long at 2200rpm.

The 3/4 ton Panel was fairly rare (plenty of carryalls - same vehicle but with side windows and pick-ups) during WW2 and the only photo I have found is one at 1 Base Air Depot at Burtonwood in UK in 1944.

This is a fast, light and useful vehicle (I have a double bed in the back - 8 feet from seat backs to rear door) and it could be used as an every day driver. It is not concourse, restoration only went to making it reliable, clean and tidy but it is entirely presentable and would not embarrass the owner when lined up with the other military vehicles.

Unfortunately I do not have current photos since completion of the olive-drab painting but I will be in USA in 3 weeks to take some for anybody interested. When I get the photos it will go on Milweb if not sold.

Here are some progress photos taken a few months ago.

Asking EU20,000/GBP17,000 pre-Brexit!/USD22,500 PM me for more info.

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Chev USA4 (Medium).jpg   Chev USA2 (Medium).jpg   Chev USA6 (Medium).jpg   Chev USA7 (Medium).jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 07-05-19 at 11:57.
Old 05-04-19, 03:04

Here is the info from the US Military Vehicles manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Panel G606001 (2) (Medium).jpg  
Old 07-05-19, 11:51

The Chevrolet is now on the water, due Rotterdam 22 May in time for D-Day.

It is now seriously for sale with arrangement mid-June.

I gave it a test run in USA before loading and it is very nice to drive with the overdrive gearbox giving an easy 100kmh cruise.

Photos of it last week marked as a USAAC BAD 1 Burtonwood UK 1943-45 Flight Line Film Developing unit (gun camera developing). And yes, the vehicle has a chrome grille as per all deliveries by Chevrolet for this style front in the early war period. There is a thread somewhere on this subject.

I am in Holland waiting for the ship +31 (0) 616 673 616

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Chev Texas`RFront.jpg   Chev Texas rearL.jpg   Chev Texas RearR.jpg   Chev Texas SideTrailer.jpg   Chev Texas Back.jpg  

Last edited by Lang; 08-05-19 at 19:17.
Old 08-05-19, 21:30

Lang,

I like the markings you chose for the Chev.....it turned out really nice. I had a already spotted it in the background of a milweb ad for it's Dodge sister.

I hope you find a good home for it.......after a good trip to Normandy, of course!

Alex
Old 09-05-19, 07:20

Thanks Alex
Old 09-06-19, 19:40

Saw your van in some pictures on the beach at Arromanches. Did you ever get a buyer?

Matt
Old 10-06-19, 09:19

Matt

Chev sold to a nice French family

Langm
Old 10-06-19, 18:51

Glad to hear. Looks like it was the experience of a lifetime.

Matt